Eke diesel out with veg oil

my mate did tell me engine oil but i think as you mentioned there are better oils to mix it with i didnt look into it any further after not being able to get it at a good price without buing silly amounts workin out £1.08 pr litre a few months back but if it gets up to 1.50 i'll happily pay that

dave

Okay so just taken the plunge! Bought 80ltrs from CostCo at 84p per litre. Will start with a 70/30 mix at first and see what happends! Yes I know I can run it on 100% veg oil but I am chicken!! :blink:

Okay so just taken the plunge! Bought 80ltrs from CostCo at 84p per litre. Will start with a 70/30 mix at first and see what happends! Yes I know I can run it on 100% veg oil but I am chicken!! :blink:

Must take a trip out to Costco!!

Do you mean 70% diesel and 30% SVO or the other way round?

Must take a trip out to Costco!!

Do you mean 70% diesel and 30% SVO or the other way round?

70 oil and 30 diesel i imagine?,thats what i have run happily during the summer,during the winter you might want to use a little more diesel to aid start up,it might be a little grumpy when cold but when warm it will run like a dream!!!

There's a lot WE can do. A fully supported fuel boycott, and a fully supported can't afford to go to work days. The Gov would soon do something.

our trucks was on the last fuel protest in 2000 you will find it hard to get any one to goin forces on this and there are a few reasons

A/ last time we was thretend that if we didnt move the army would move us (and they say its a free country not a police state

B/ while we were parked up blockading the continental trucks were sniffing round our customers and running on cheep derv of the continent

C/ and this is worst of all as a country we never seem to agree on anything

while we have politicions who seem more intrested in fighting wars that the rest of the world have no intrest in and tree hugers spend there lifes huging trees and saying what evil people we are for killing the planet we are doomed

So I went for 70% diesel and 30% veg oil. Vehicle runs fine no issues and doesnt smell.

84p a litre is inc vat.

Probably will end up going to 50/50 as it will be easier to mix!! i.e 20 litres of diesel and then a bottle of veg oil...... ;)

Have put a spare fuel filter in the back with the other on board spares just in case.

our trucks was on the last fuel protest in 2000 you will find it hard to get any one to goin forces on this and there are a few reasons

A/ last time we was thretend that if we didnt move the army would move us (and they say its a free country not a police state

B/ while we were parked up blockading the continental trucks were sniffing round our customers and running on cheep derv of the continent

C/ and this is worst of all as a country we never seem to agree on anything

while we have politicions who seem more intrested in fighting wars that the rest of the world have no intrest in and tree hugers spend there lifes huging trees and saying what evil people we are for killing the planet we are doomed

I couldn't agree more with what you have said. We are a country of complainers, unwilling to do anything but whine.

Today's, protests are a case in point. It's no good a few trucks here and there slowing the traffic down, it needs to be nationwide.

As for the world running out of oil. Ha! There's more Oil stuck in worked Oil fields then we have ever taken out. The problem is once the pressure is lost it costs too much to get it out, however once the price of Oil reached 100USD per barrel, it becomes economic to use other means to extract this unpressurised oil.

OPEC are the ones setting the amounts they allow on to the world markets, which in turn dictates the market price. The price of a litre of Petrol in Saudi is around 0.07USD yes that's 7cents.

Meanwhile I beleive none of the oil the we produce goes into Petrol/Diesel production as it's too higher grade, however we produce more than we currently would consume. It's about time we told them to pi55 off and relied on our own reserves, until we can figure out cost effective ways of retrieving the rest of this "lost" oil.

Meanwhile I beleive none of the oil the we produce goes into Petrol/Diesel production as it's too higher grade, however we produce more than we currently would consume. It's about time we told them to pi55 off and relied on our own reserves, until we can figure out cost effective ways of retrieving the rest of this "lost" oil.

Big arguement in Aus is that they produce more than enough oil for the country and export it. So why are the prices at the pumps based on US / world oil prices

As the price is going up and up the Aus goverment is serious thinking and pressured to drop of GST (GST is AUS VAT but only at %10 ) of the price of fuel

how could or would you go about a certain protest tho if everyone in this country decided not to go to work and buy fuel for 1 week i could see something like that working out but how could you get it to a nation wide scale

dont no if its true was there not a law brought out about using lorries as blockades? after the last fuel protests

and rant over an back on track

i could get sunflower oil from the market at £19 for 25l if i sweet talked my boss

am sure you prob no someone in the food industry that has access to cooking oil

on another note can you not use used cooking oil, granted it has to be filtered lots but the price you could get it at maybe worth it in the long run.

dave

I couldn't agree more with what you have said. We are a country of complainers, unwilling to do anything but whine.

Today's, protests are a case in point. It's no good a few trucks here and there slowing the traffic down, it needs to be nationwide.

As for the world running out of oil. Ha! There's more Oil stuck in worked Oil fields then we have ever taken out. The problem is once the pressure is lost it costs too much to get it out, however once the price of Oil reached 100USD per barrel, it becomes economic to use other means to extract this unpressurised oil.

OPEC are the ones setting the amounts they allow on to the world markets, which in turn dictates the market price. The price of a litre of Petrol in Saudi is around 0.07USD yes that's 7cents.

its the same story world over there is not another country in the world pays what we do

and if u work it in to pounds not dollers it would make you sick

mind you mr brown is rubbing his hands together and looking at the balance sheet

a minister said today if we cut fuel duty what services would you want cut

i think i could find a few lol

if i had my way and it seems harsh i would get every car van truck motor bike bus and train to park up just for 24 hours

then mr brown would see just how fast the house of cards would fall

how could or would you go about a certain protest tho if everyone in this country decided not to go to work and buy fuel for 1 week i could see something like that working out but how could you get it to a nation wide scale

dont no if its true was there not a law brought out about using lorries as blockades? after the last fuel protests

Pushed into a corner it's surprising what people will do. As for laws, there are more than enough to stop people from protesting whether it's with Lorries or Spoons. A gathering of more than 3 people is enough for the police to pull laws out of their hats to arrest/move you on.

mind you mr brown is rubbing his hands together and looking at the balance sheet

That is what winds me up about goverments

They do a budget to work out what is coming in and what is going out. But with fuel as the pirce of oil goes up them the amout of money that they are getting from Vat is going up as it is not a set amount but a percentage. So the more money they are getting is a wind fall for them which they were not counting on or exepcting. then you have the goverment saying we can't reduce fuel becuase we won't have the money for NHS Schools and stuff is a load of carp

and rant over an back on track

i could get sunflower oil from the market at £19 for 25l if i sweet talked my boss

am sure you prob no someone in the food industry that has access to cooking oil

on another note can you not use used cooking oil, granted it has to be filtered lots but the price you could get it at maybe worth it in the long run.

dave

lol i avarage 350 liters a day on one truck can u get a tanker load

there is a comon missunderstanding about veg oil

if you could get every farmer in the uk to grow fields full of the stuff it would not cover what we use let alone have room for the food we need to eat

as for fillterd oil there are many quality isuses with it and if your car was your living would you take a risk of breaking down

lol i avarage 350 liters a day on one truck can u get a tanker load

there is a comon missunderstanding about veg oil

if you could get every farmer in the uk to grow fields full of the stuff it would not cover what we use let alone have room for the food we need to eat

as for fillterd oil there are many quality isuses with it and if your car was your living would you take a risk of breaking down

Maybe so however, there are Hectares upon Hectares of land in this country on "Set a Side" doing sweet FA, cost TAX payers Millions, to produce NIL. Now there's a thought

its the same story world over there is not another country in the world pays what we do

and if u work it in to pounds not dollers it would make you sick

if i had my way and it seems harsh i would get every car van truck motor bike bus and train to park up just for 24 hours

then mr brown would see just how fast the house of cards would fall

Really?

Have you ever been to Norway?

At the current exchange rate a L of petrol here costs about £1.35, but has been seen

priced at over £1.50.

A new Defender will set you back about £70.000 and diesel is in some cases the same

as petrol or more expensive.

Hmmm - this is getting a bit too broad, let's stick to the OP's original question

At its most basic can I simply pour 4l of cheap Tesco/Asda/Costco vegetable oil into a 3/4 full tank of diesel on a 200Tdi with no modifications and genuinely suffer no ill effects or breach of the law?

If so then it probably makes sense to do so if no huge expenditure on conversion kit needed or trying to source guaranteed supply of used chip oil.

..and leave the politics and wider issues out of it.

I use a 70/30 mix of Morrisions oil in my 200tdi with no ill effects or noticeable difference at all.

It costs £1.03 which a while ago didn't make sence buying, but now it is a 25p per litre saving, and tomorrow....

Without belonging to a Cash & Carry, where are you guys getting your cheap oil from? I see CostCo mentioned but there are none near me.

mad

Interesting to note that pre tax diesel in the UK is the cheapest in the EU. 12,5% more expensive after tax than across the channel.

In the US vehicle hi-jacking is on the increase, especially trucks ..... latest one was found 3 days later with an empty fuel tank. Cars in shopping mall parking lots are also being targeted with owners coming back to an empty fuel tank.

Wolrd economies are shifting from the west to the east / mid east as more money moves to crude oil suppliers ...... not refiners or petroleum marketers where the margins are being squeezed.

The US is the largest importer of crude oil in the world. With the increasingly high crude prices goverments have to increase taxes to keep their balance of payments floating. I see not much use coming from boycotting governments or petroleum companies.

The world is being held to ransom by those that dominate the crude prices. Price = a factor of supply and demand. Demand increases and supply is hampered by issues like gulf wars, economies under pressure (devaluation of the dollar etc). Comes back to the mid east not being happy with the west and the world pays the price.

There is no economically viable replacement for crude oil on a large scale yet. Mixing veg oil with diesel is like putting a small plaster on a leaking dam wall.

Veg oil mixes or clean veg oil will run your vehicle but will ultimately clog up your engine as it contains no additives to control fuel injector deposits and nozzle fouling. Fuel atomization is also impaired. All this leads to higher repair bills ultimately.

In a few decades we will not have people playing silly games with prices ...... we will not have enough fossil fuels. Same applies to coal fired power stations. As long as we take more out of the earth than what can be replaced or recreated we will head for problems.

Money in the future goes to those who can find alternative sources of sustainable energy. In the mid east mega money is spent on building of cities with tourist attractions and islands etc. Wonder how much is spent on finding other sources of energy around the globe. ;)

just a curiosity question, any one knows if aircraft fuel is ok for diesels?... I know for sure it will run well on it without any smoke, as one I know runs his car on it... but I dont know if it'll harm the engine in the end. I could have an endless supply of the mentioned fuel, pity its all thrown away

any one knows if aircraft fuel is ok for diesels?.

It's just kerosene isn't it? I understand that it has a lower lubrication factor, so will probably eventually kill the injection pump.

Kerosene is sometimes used to thin veg oil and prevent it gelling in winter.

Weren't all the iraq hummers converted to run on avgas?