109 2 1/4 Diesel wont start!

Jason2

Just bought a 1979 109 2 1/4 Diesel that's been stuck in a field for the last 10 years, needs a lot of work doing to the chassis so before I decide what I'm going to do with the old girl would like to get the engine going but she's not having it!

Turns over no problem, maybe too well (low compression?) valve stuck open?Rings gummed up? diesel is getting to the injectors but she wont have it!

I dont think that the glow plugs are working or at least the one I checked is'nt, should this engine start with out them ?

Thanks in advance

Just bought a 1979 109 2 1/4 Diesel that's been stuck in a field for the last 10 years, needs a lot of work doing to the chassis so before I decide what I'm going to do with the old girl would like to get the engine going but she's not having it!

Turns over no problem, maybe too well (low compression?) valve stuck open?Rings gummed up? diesel is getting to the injectors but she wont have it!

I dont think that the glow plugs are working or at least the one I checked is'nt, should this engine start with out them ?

Thanks in advance

An engine will start without glowplugs, but on a very warm day with a good battery.... Colder the day the harder they are to start, you need a good battery cos they need some cranking...

Best start from basics with fresh fuel, clean filter/s, and bleeding the whole system. Personally I would whip off the rocker cover and crank it over just to make sure all the valves are working properly. Diesels are so basic its hard not to start em...

As said they aren't too hard to start in some kind of way. They do prefer glow plugs but failing that you could try easy start, I don't like to use it myself as I've heard bad things but I've had to in the past when stuck and it's always done the trick, only bad experience we had was lighting half the engine bay up by spraying too much on a sturbon engine that had sat around for years, we lost a few arm hairs but that was all! It started shortly after though.

Also you will probably flatten the battery trying, so we always try to use jump leads and a running second vehicle to get them started

If a valve was open you would have belted it when the engine cranked over. It's likely that the rings are stuck in the pistons and giving you low compression. Do you know why it was parked-up and left? could be that the engine had this problem 10-years ago. I'm surprised that it turned at all - after this length of time the bores would have got a layer of rust on them - making it difficult to turn over.

Les.

Try tow starting it - that usually works even if the engine has very poor compression. You might find it'll sort itself out after running for a while.

Les.

Exactly, if it has diesel it should start with a tow.

Make sure the stop isn't stuck open on the pump, sometimes the cables rust inside the casing.

IIRC, the glow plugs are wired in series. If one is open circuit then none of them will get any current = no heat. There should be a piece of resistance wire coiled on a bracket on the bulkhead. If the glow plugs are all working (drawing current) then there should be a couple of volts drop across it. Could be worth measuring while someone holds the key in the heat position.

I would do all the other checks listed above before breaking out the Easy Start. If it needs Easy Start to get it to run then worry about doing some more with the glow plugs.

just tow start it in a high gear and not worry about using the clutch.

use a long rope and get ready to knock it out of gear if it runs, or turn it off, or hit the anchors, or abandon ship :D

Video it at the same time, at least there would be some entertainment in it :)

Les.

Should be a good film :P

No clutch, no brakes, front chassis rotten away that hold's the springs (wooden blocks between the axle and bump stops to keep the front end in the air)

If only I could find a realy steep hill :o

No clutch, no brakes, front chassis rotten away that hold's the springs (wooden blocks between the axle and bump stops to keep the front end in the air)

I'd check the compression on it then, make absolutely sure the glowplugs work, make sure the timing is right, and if all that is good and it doesn't start, have the injectors checked. They may have a poor pattern and need replacing.

id did a hole and just push it in lol

basically u have a engine and some rubber lol

I'd check the compression on it then, make absolutely sure the glowplugs work, make sure the timing is right, and if all that is good and it doesn't start, have the injectors checked. They may have a poor pattern and need replacing.

Cheers mate!

Tried getting the old girl going with "easy start", fired but made a terrible knocking sound but would'nt run.

With a bit of love and attention I'm sure I'l sort her out! :unsure:

Easy start in a diesel engine will make it knock badly, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Les.

Whipped rocker cover off, checked valve clearences,all fine closing etc. Slackened all the injector pipe unions to make sure diesel was getting there.

Cranked her over and WAYYYYYYYY JOBS A GOOD UN, cracked up first time,no smoke,runs like a good un!!!

Once again thanks for all your help.

Right Clutch now!

looks in back garden few its still there i thort you had mine for a min then