OT: Idea for Funds

JST

With so many new members (which is good) and alot of random posts/questions from members old and new, how about suggesting a subscription to new members when they sign on?

it need only be £3 or so but would show they are truly interested and not coming along to spam the place up.

Only an idea that has been bounded around several times that i picked up on at one of the meetings/events, original idea is not from me either just thought i would air it now.

if when i started if it had cost money i may have not signed up

9 month later very happy i did but money may put members off

and a forum without members is not a forum.

yes i am a farmer and yes i don't like spending my money

Guest diesel_jim

Trouble is.... "free" forums are either moderated by one person who couldn't care less, and it ends up in a downward spiral of foul language, "anything goes", dross and lots of other rubbish.(some forums DO actually work well like this though, take ORRP for example, but it's one of the few)

or it ends up under the wing of a big magazine, where you daren't put a foot wrong by stating that a certain company isn't very good, because they advertise in said magazines pages.

James,

TC is the man to answer this, but what I do know is

The forum financially is "Safe" funding wise for the forseable future

We DO have a few members who have signed up to the Month DD :)

We do have a number of members who contribute now and again :)

We have had some events - Such as Jezs kind DVD Ladoga and Les clutch forks that have raised good monies :)

We do have members who sell stuff and then contribute from time to time from the proceds :)

We did discuss this whole saga some while back in the mods forum, but the reasons we didn't do anything was

(all of the above)

The forum financially is "Safe" funding wise for the forseable future

We DO have a few members who have signed up to the Month DD :)

We do have a number of members who contribute now and again :)

We have had some events - Such as Jezs kind DVD Ladoga and Les clutch forks that have raised good monies :)

We do have members who sell stuff and then contribute from time to time from the proceds :)

Plus

We wnat people who truly can and wnat to contribute to do so

Those who can't afford it or don't wnat to fine

We don't need to MAKE members have to pay

Doing so could put off potential new members who could later be hugely valuable to the site tech vs £s

They equally may decide later this is the site for them and then contribute

All the mods agreed to have the signature at the end of out posts to gently remind people

Many have and contiue to support us regaulrly so we must do something right sometimes :(

HTH clarify the above, TC will be along I am sure to give more finacial info :)

Nige

We remove spammers before anyone gets to read the rubbish that they would like to post. There is no need for a subscrition fee. Information is the most valuable asset this website has - supplying it and getting it should have no cost at all.

Les.

I think it's bang-on as it is, what if there was a member who was flat broke but had some fantastic tech to contribute? At the moment I can sympathise with half of that :( if I had to pay a subs, I'd be out now. Likewise members from other countries - a certain amount may be OK to us decadent westerners but someone joining from another part of the world may find it prohibitive.

when i first found the forum there no whay i could have been able to spending any money.

yes it would have been well worth it but putting money down without knowing what your going to get out of it is some thing that i and alot of others cant aford to do

If you as people to pay for something, then they will expect to have more of a say as to how that place is run -this is likely to cause more and more arguments which frankly we don't need! :)

Plus if it is a subscription service, what about all the existing members? And doesn't it mean it turns the forum into some sort of business, if the subscription is compulsory... I think it's heading for dangerous waters if it ever went that way.

Plus I don't think I would have joined if I had had to pay for it -just think, how would you all cope without me :P

We did discuss this whole saga some while back in the mods forum, but the reasons we didn't do anything was

Nige

Nige,, thanks for that !

I think that is were a lot of the problems lie ,,, Lack of communication to the members , from the "inner sanctum "

As for subs etc,, it would seam to be working fine as it is, with voluntary contributions

anyone else any ideas?

A % commission on the classifieds fora.

Every time the forum saves you money, donate a % of what you just saved to the funds.

A forum event somewhere to raise some funds and also gather round a camp fire with some beer.

Leave it as it is.

As an early member I have made contributions and am happy with the results.

If we need money do what we originally had, a post requesting those who can afford it to make a contribution.

A forum event somewhere to raise some funds and also gather round a camp fire with some beer.

That sounds like a great idea- there must be enough skills here to make a good event- we have access to a couple of sites that i know of, so some off roading would be possible and we could find somewhere that wasn't too far from everyone.

Leave it as it is.

As an early member I have made contributions and am happy with the results.

If we need money do what we originally had, a post requesting those who can afford it to make a contribution.

I agree with that. I have sent a couple of donations when money was 'requested', and a couple when I have sold stuff. I am happy with the way it works.

I like the idea of a Forum get together. Be nice to put some faces to names. As for the rest, if the Forum is doing well enough then don't change it. When we had a request (long while ago when we moved to a dedicated server) I was quite happy to put in a few quid.

Ivan