44/42 inch tyres but what axles!

russ1

My truck used to be unstable when it was on +2" springs and a 3 link. I now run on -2" springs and disco II. It is very stable if a little wider than with Volvo wheels on. I will take on any side slope a standard LR will do. End over end is easier on my axles, if you drop off something very steep, the centre of gravity can make you stand on the front wheels. As long as you are aware of what to do, its not a problem. My truck is a bit longer now which helps.

Depending on your money available, go with Portal-tek, they have an offer on at the moment linky

I see lots of Aussies run the 80 series LC rear (which when I measured mine I made 10 1/4" on the Ring?) and the Nissan Patrol GU front. They use this setup with 300+ hp and 42s certainly, but with plenty of uprated internals.

I haven't broken anything on LC axles yet, and I'm running 37" in reverse up rocks with the locker in.

My LC alxes cost £125 for the pair and my brother's Unimog 404 axles cost £300 for the pair with wheels and tyres. He's made the pinion conversion, high steer arms himself and is keep the drum brakes.

Ask alan kemp about being unstable,Dan, your truck is not to tall so may compensate,

A Dana 60 diff is the same size as a sailsbury so chop it out and use the ford 9" high pinions to get the clearance back, still uses D60 internals without the bulk,

Carl.

Tyre size and axles choice have very little to do with unstability, weight distribution and cog are far more important.

You've been missinformed about the uinterchangeability of dana 60 and ford 9 inch parts, they are about as different as chalk and cheese.

The only possible similarity is that aftermarket shafts and diff centers are available to run 1.5 inch 35 spline dana 60 1 ton shafts in the ford 9 inch.

Spidertrax in combination with Portals

DSC_2104.JPG

They looked good but after looking at the std ones with a price starting at 10k +vat i didnt dare ask about them.

Little bit out my price range!

Pugwash;

Replyed to your pm.

Jez;

Did you get a chance to sort them links out for the 303s?

Thanks

Tyre size and axles choice have very little to do with unstability, weight distribution and cog are far more important.

You've been missinformed about the uinterchangeability of dana 60 and ford 9 inch parts, they are about as different as chalk and cheese.

The only possible similarity is that aftermarket shafts and diff centers are available to run 1.5 inch 35 spline dana 60 1 ton shafts in the ford 9 inch.

Missinformed???????????? Aftermarket shafts will obviously be needed if shortning to fit a L/R ARB Lockers 1.5" 35 spline are available,

IF not then why do spidertrax run ford type H/P, Already looked into this, I am building coustom axles with all this stuff in them,

Carl.

Russ - soz not yet, just bought my mate out from hospital so will get it sorted tonight :(

Spidertrax + portals = portal tek ;)

Jez,

Prety shure the drop box's in the pic are mog's, portal tek seem to have there name allover there drop box's like alans ones but they still use spider trax tubes,

Carl.

Missinformed???????????? Aftermarket shafts will obviously be needed if shortning to fit a L/R ARB Lockers 1.5" 35 spline are available,

IF not then why do spidertrax run ford type H/P, Already looked into this, I am building coustom axles with all this stuff in them,

Carl.

dana 60's have a 10.5 inch ring gear, and crucially are available in a reverse cut pattern, which is an essential in the front axle of a high horsepower big tyre'd straight axled truck.

where as the ford 9 inch (to the best of my knowledge) has no reverse cut gear sets for it and due to the odd pinion bearing design the diff centers are considerably weaker.

It is worth while noting that in it's original use the 9inch is a light-medium duty axle. the 60 is a medium-heavy duty axle.

Why would you want to narrow the axles down to L/R width?

Jez,

Prety shure the drop box's in the pic are mog's, portal tek seem to have there name allover there drop box's like alans ones but they still use spider trax tubes,

Carl.

The one in the pic is a 404 mog portal box.

Dan ,don't want this to turn into a argument,

The ford 9 high and low pinion diffs when modified with lockers and strong ring and pinions (the pinion has a greater bearing surface on crown wheel) with after market shafts is very strong,

A ford 9" is from a ford F350 1 ton 4x4 truck so should be available in stock 35 spilne iners and 30 spline outer which can be changed to 35 spline quite easy, The dana 60 diff is larger and ultimatly stronger but the ford 9 will cope with 44"s easyly, the yanks have been using them for long time, we are miles behind them on this stuff,

Spidertrax and portal-tek use 9" high pinion's so they must think they are ok, The amount of after market stuff for dana's is massive and it's tried and tested on bigger truck's with lots of hp than we use in uk,

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/ This link to pirate 4x4 has lots of answers it's worth reading if you want to findout about dana's,

Carl.

Carl - Im pretty well up with Portal Tek stuff :lol: , the post was a friendly wink at Hendrik and Dieter - spidertrax housings are pretty much an industry standard for new build tough axles, Rob (Portal Tek) uses them with his portals (they are an investment cast, immensely strong design - hence the branding) and Dieters version will be a mog derivative, dont worry, I can tell the difference ;)

Mog 9's arent new, in fact Hummer 9's, Uaz Rovers, Praga mutants, UaZ/self build chain and pretty much everything in between has been tried - just with varying success and engineering talent

its great to see new toys though - and if it makes good stuff more accessible then long may it be :)

Dan ,don't want this to turn into a argument,

Who's arguing?

The ford 9 high and low pinion diffs when modified with lockers and strong ring and pinions (the pinion has a greater bearing surface on crown wheel) with after market shafts is very strong,

A ford 9" is from a ford F350 1 ton 4x4 truck so should be available in stock 35 spilne iners and 30 spline outer which can be changed to 35 spline quite easy, The dana 60 diff is larger and ultimatly stronger but the ford 9 will cope with 44"s easyly, the yanks have been using them for long time, we are miles behind them on this stuff,

Spidertrax and portal-tek use 9" high pinion's so they must think they are ok, The amount of after market stuff for dana's is massive and it's tried and tested on bigger truck's with lots of hp than we use in uk,

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/ This link to pirate 4x4 has lots of answers it's worth reading if you want to findout about dana's,

Carl.

Ford never put the 9 inch in the back of a f350, for the most part they run a dana 60 in the front and a sterling 10.5 inch in the back.

Think about it why would ford be running a 9 inch in the back when there competitors run much much bigger axles in the front?

Who's arguing?

Ford never put the 9 inch in the back of a f350, for the most part they run a dana 60 in the front and a sterling 10.5 inch in the back.

Think about it why would ford be running a 9 inch in the back when there competitors run much much bigger axles in the front?

Who said they did?

Dont realy care who put what in where,

we are talking about coustom built axels not factory fitted stuff so we can mix and match whatever, Its called INOVATION,

Carl.

[quote name='russ1' date='Jul 29 2008, 01:51 PM' post='293061'

Did you get a chance to sort them links out for the 303s?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I been trying volvo portals on my 80" trials truck and found that they make it far to unstable - the same as Alan K said.

It was a nightmare to drive in Norway last weekend on the rocks - So my fully rebuilt c306 portals with cromoly CV's and shafts , disc brakes and air difflocks will be on the market in a short while - I'm going salisbury

These axle in my apinion are good for challenge but not so good for trials unless your truck is maybe 110" wheelbase

Get some of these and be done with it.

post-1225-1217529158_thumb.jpg

Can I just confirm, my car is not unstable, it is a myth borne out of rolling lots when I knew nothing..................... So there :P

Alan 'roly poly' kemp, them axles are sexy, i think some people will be loving themself's over them,

Carl. :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: