Does this work? ? ? ?

I've just been on the magical money reduction site that is Ebay and saw this... :huh:

Item number: 270261089064

Do these actually work? what do they actually do? What would it actually do if I was to put one in my 2.5n/a ? :blink:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Call me names if you like, but I've just bought one - hehe. It's £9.96 down the stank (Scottish word for drain!) if it doesnt work :( , which pales into insignificance with the money I've trashed on this lump since last november. Hey ho.

I drive manchester-sheffield and return every day - I run on LPG and have to fill up at the end of each day to have enough fuel to make the round trip the following day, best ever fuel economy on LPG is 12.8 accross the ups and downs of the snake pass, so once fitted, I can very quickly give you the results on a MPG basis.

If I was a gambling man.....i've probably flushed another 10-spot....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Call me names if you like, but I've just bought one - hehe. It's £9.96 down the stank (Scottish word for drain!) if it doesnt work :( , which pales into insignificance with the money I've trashed on this lump since last november. Hey ho.

I drive manchester-sheffield and return every day - I run on LPG and have to fill up at the end of each day to have enough fuel to make the round trip the following day, best ever fuel economy on LPG is 12.8 accross the ups and downs of the snake pass, so once fitted, I can very quickly give you the results on a MPG basis.

If I was a gambling man.....i've probably flushed another 10-spot....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference or not, even if technically it should or shouldn't . . . But as you said, £10 these days is'nt worth crying over if it doesn't work .. .

;)

I am positive this very subject has been mentioned before on this Forum, I did seach but didn't find anything

Anyway if I remember correctly, you get a flat metal plate that has to be bent into shape

As for the savings on fuel? Pure snake oil...

I've just been on the magical money reduction site that is Ebay and saw this... :huh:

Item number: 270261089064

Do these actually work? what do they actually do? What would it actually do if I was to put one in my 2.5n/a ? :blink:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hissing Sid Oil

Keith

As I recall the HiClone recommended that turbo vehicles put one before and one after the turbo - because obviously the whirly turbine thing spinning at thousands of RPM is not going to provide enough turbulence compared to a laser-cut bean tin :lol:

As I recall the HiClone recommended that turbo vehicles put one before and one after the turbo - because obviously the whirly turbine thing spinning at thousands of RPM is not going to provide enough turbulence compared to a laser-cut bean tin :lol:

So.. could I use a baked bean tin instead with a few holes in the bottom? :P

I've read the other links posted up made me smile. ;)

SO anyway, my friend was saying if you put some magnets on the fuelline.....

Guest otchie1

Phoenix, pet hate of mine. :angry:

Think less about macro-swirl induced by a bit of tin and more about bending vast amounts of air around an inlet valve.

Micro-swirl inside the combustion chamber IS helpful for efficient flame front travel and complete burningness but that's down to combustion chamber design particularly inlet port tract finish. Macro twisty hiclone/cyclone swirl is just something in the way of your carefully engineered air flow.

If you succumb to buying magnets, stick them on the outside of your oil filter where they will actually do some good :-)

That said, how do you fancy running your car on water? :P

That said, how do you fancy running your car on water? :P

Do you mean to say you have a hydrogen cell for a landrover! ..... cor blimey Gov!

If i'm honest I did not truely appreciate the complicity of air flows in a combustion chamber. I just presumed air went in, chuck some fuel in and bang... power wooo! .. But it all seems much more cunning! . i'm intrigued .. sorry though if this topic is spiralling O/T ..

I remember reading an article about those things a few years ago. It said that the effect caused does increase air flow compared to a simple vacuum, however the fact that it needs the metal plates to create it, makes it non functional; the added resistance negates the benefit. If it came with a power source then it would work, oh wait, they make those...

I don't think they increase airflow (for starters it's a frickin' great obstruction in your intake) but some chap at a university did do a study years ago which originated this whole idea - basically if you put something before or after a carburettor that encourages a bit of swirl in the air, the fuel mixes with the air better and does give slightly improved efficiency, depending how poor the design of the carb setup is.

BUT there is loads of stuff in your intake tract that makes the air swirl about the place already, and adding any sort of obstruction is probably going to negate any advantage you gain.

And, of course, if it's a diesel or fuel injected petrol, the fuel is injected so close to the cylinder that any swirlyness caused by that device will be long forgotten by the time it gets to the injector. If it's a turbo, the thing's got its own built-in spinny swirly thing already :P

Talking of swirly things, if we look at the other end of the engine, do these Vortex zorst things work?

There's a bloke in the club says his does, but frankly he's quite strange. There's an easy test:

- Does it sound too good to be true?

- Do manufacturers (or racing teams, or industry) fit anything like it?

- Is it sold by the same greasy franchised smooth talkers who sell all the other snake oils on eBay / at car shows / in the backs of car mags?

I remember the Editor of LRE had one fitted and sang its praises. But he got it for free, of course, so what he says is 'interested' to say the least. Don't get LRE any more, and there seems to be no mention of the things in LRM.