Dilemma! which mud terrains & what size?

reggie

Well I made a decision in the end.

I went for some Kumho KL71s 33.12.5x15 on some 10x15 black modulars........ :D

Just have to wait for them now, apparently they're on back order....... :(

I wonder what problems await me now that I've gone for the wider wheels & bigger tyres, seems every time I do something new it causes a chain reaction of modifications.

so price driven in the end?

Bit of both really.

I like the way the Kumhos look & have also read good things about them on & off road so I thought I'd give them a try, they also came joint first with the Bfg's in the tyre test in LRW magazine & were also slightly better in the bog run.

Then on the price side of things I got a good deal from Paddocks £495 inc of VAT & delivery & with the ways things are these days with the credit crunch etc you have to watch your pennies. No good having a nice expensive set of Bfg's & no drive to park them on...............lol. I also have to get a new set of tyres for my other car too.......... :(

Bit of both really.

I like the way the Kumhos look & have also read good things about them on & off road so I thought I'd give them a try, they also came joint first with the Bfg's in the tyre test in LRW magazine & were also slightly better in the bog run.

Then on the price side of things I got a good deal from Paddocks £495 inc of VAT & delivery & with the ways things are these days with the credit crunch etc you have to watch your pennies. No good having a nice expensive set of Bfg's & no drive to park them on...............lol. I also have to get a new set of tyres for my other car too.......... :(

watch them on your motorway runs as they came 2nd to last on dry Tarmac braking taking 3m longer at 30mph than the bfg's IIRC.

Steve

thats why i now buy pretty much on personal recommendation

Hence the original question here i guess, i just didnt then follow the decision.

Would be interested to see how you get on with them though.

thats why i now buy pretty much on personal recommendation

Hence the original question here i guess, i just didnt then follow the decision.

Would be interested to see how you get on with them though.

I'll keep you all posted on how I get on with them.

with the 10" rims you shouldnt have any issues with lock or rubbing, but the tyres will stick out a long way past the arches, i have them on my 90 and needed to fit some QT flexi arches..

I thought I might have to fit some arches. Every mod leads to another...... :blink:

And then the probelm comes when you bump into something or slide into something which hits your extended arch, as I found out they are much stronger than a rr wing! It pushes it in. Nothing that you can't pull out with a tad of strength :D

Yer that happened to me the other week when I went to a pay & play day, damaged my rear quarter & put a dent in my door a the bottom. Its scratched to hell from some green laning as well. So the arches are quite strong then, which ones have you got?

Another thing that happened to me that I've never heard anyone mention is you know the vents on top of the bonnet in front of the wipers? Well I managed to get a load of thick muddy water into those & it came out of my dash where my stereo & heater controls are all over our legs............... :o Its was a kind of water crossing, well more of a mud crossing actually but it was quite deep & boggy & I went into it a bit hard I think & created a bow wave bigger than the titanic did, straight over my bonnet & half way up my windscreen.

This is what it looked like after.

post-3312-1219310687_thumb.jpg

havent really got any good pics showing the offset, but with the QT arches the tyres still stick out a bit but with standed arches they stuck out about 4 inches. it will depend on what size rim you have, im running 15/10 so has a huge offset, if your running 8 inch then you wont have them sticking out as far but you will loose some lock and may get some rubbing....

10082008674.jpg

I wonder how much the 10x5 rims will stick out from my bodywork, the chap at Paddocks said about 2".

Looking at yours though they seem to stick out a lot more than 2" but it might be different on a Rangie. It would be good to see pic of some on a Rangie.

I won't be getting any arches straight away so I'm hoping it won't cause to much of an issue. My MOT isn't due for a while yet so should be ok for a bit

Yours looks fat by the way!

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder how much the 10x5 rims will stick out from my bodywork, the chap at Paddocks said about 2".

Looking at yours though they seem to stick out a lot more than 2" but it might be different on a Rangie. It would be good to see pic of some on a Rangie.

I won't be getting any arches straight away so I'm hoping it won't cause to much of an issue. My MOT isn't due for a while yet so should be ok for a bit

Yours looks fat by the way!

What offset were the Paddocks ones though?

The offest of a wheel will considerable effect on how much the wheel sticks out and just because two wheels are 10x15 doesn't mean the offset will be the same.