Breakdown Cover ??

zim

Evening,

I currently get RAC with my bank account from the Halifax, but i want to change accounts so will have to sort my own breakdown company.

I've just loaded up the RAC website, and there are 5 different options, and my brain hurts knowing which one to choose !

Who do you use, and which option ?? AA, RAC, greenflag / anyone ?

thanks

Gordon

I use (too regularly) the RAC roadside and recovery. My card says 'SOLUTION 1' on it. It used to be solution 2 (home start included) but I figured that, as it's a toy, if it doesn't start at home, I won't go playing and will spend the playtime fixing whatever is wrong.

I have also just upgraded it to a joint policy with the wife covered too, and added European cover, and the grand total was about £180 for a year IIRC.

Service has been fast and reliable, apart from one small c#ck-up (they turned up with 2 blokes in a 3-seater lorry to recover 1 car and 2 passengers......cue debabte about who gets left behind. They soon got the idea that it wasn't going to be one of us, so the second RAC guy sat and ate his lunch and waited to be picked up!!)

RAC are a bigger organisation than the AA... it shows in the speed of service.

Having tried the AA (2 long waits of over 4 hours to be recovered) and Green Flag (Just a bad experience!!), I will be renewing my RAC membership when it comes up next year!

HTH

Adrian

Same as Mr Orange - have had a joint RAC account for a number of years, and have European cover on it now too. Can't remember if we have home start or not - it's not really a concern for me, more for the mrs. RAC covers the driver, not the car, so it's useful if you drive several different cars - several I looked at only cover the car.

Have used them a few times in the last few years, not always Land Rover related, and they have been fairly fast and efficient. can't really complain, and will be renewing.

Cheers

Mark

I use greenflag, the 3 times I have had to call them out in the last 15 year they were there within 40 minutes. When I have had to call them out the vehicle couldnt be repaired roadside so they took the vehicle passengers and 2 dogs (one of the times) home no problem. The policy I took out was recovery and cost around £120 the price can be lower or a touch higher depending on the age of the vehicle.

I think the benefit of the one I have is that its me thats covered not the car/bike i'm using, I checked and its solution 1, it doesn't cover home start though, you have to be at least 1/4 mile from home! I think its the best option if you do your own repairs as you can always get recovery home, as opposed to the nearest garage within 12 miles...

Mike

Cheers for the replies :)

I think the benefit of the one I have is that its me thats covered not the car/bike i'm using, I checked and its solution 1, it doesn't cover home start though, you have to be at least 1/4 mile from home! I think its the best option if you do your own repairs as you can always get recovery home, as opposed to the nearest garage within 12 miles...

Mike

Mike - did you have to pay extra to have bikes covered ? Because i do a fair bit of travelling on mine (when it's not raining like it is today :( )

G

you can ususally get pretty low priced cover through your insurance policy, especially if you take it out at renewal - last time I looked it was cheaper doing it that way than going direct to Green Flag etc.

not on my trade policy :(

Mike

My sister once had a puncture, so drove the car into the road and stood there looking at it. Soon a nice man stopped and changed the wheel. She waited for him to go and then drove back into her driveway .... :)

I have RAC solutions 1, which is roadside and recovery, only know this cos the renewal card arrived today and saw this thread.

Cost, for one person, is £70, and if you do not use them, they give you a no claims discount at the next renewal, i have a 30% discount this year as i have not called them out in the last 12months.

Been with them 11years, i keep it up as i see it as an insurance policy to help me get home if i am miles away, if its local i usually get mates to help, as its quicker, easier etc... thankfully not needed recently.

I'm with the AA and have been for many years now. £70 for joint cover for me and Mrs. We are covered not the car, usual stuff.

What now gets my back up is that at renewal time they decided to put the price up as the Mrs had used them (once). I complained about this and said I would move to the RAC unless they could match the price, which they did in the end.

Also recently when I phoned them to enquire about European cover, they quoted £135 for 2 weeks in France and then said 'would I like to take it out'. I mentioned that I would phone around and check out the competition when he then said 'hold on, I will talk to my supervisor to see what we can do', coming back with a reduction down to £100.

I said 'that's great, I will phone around now and compare' whereupon he got all shirty and said that 'the £100 offer was for now only and if I came back after phoning around it would back go up to the original £135'.

I don't like this sleazy salesman approach. Give me a price that is the price and stop this "talking to your supervisor nonsense". They are starting to behave like double glazing salesmen and I don't like it. Will prob give the RAC a go this year.

mad

for UK driving we have family cover under my Dads RAC policy (not sure how it works, but me and the wife both have membership cards) for European jaunts I'll be going through my insurance company (did two weeks in France/ Spain last month, cost £36 from NFU to add it to my insurance policy - RAC wanted almost £100)

My sister once had a puncture, so drove the car into the road and stood there looking at it. Soon a nice man stopped and changed the wheel. She waited for him to go and then drove back into her driveway .... :)

:hysterical: sounds like a quick bit of lateral thinking on here part, nice move & good to see she got away with it.

AA - Fecking useless.

RAC - superb service. Lucy broke our old P38 one day whilst she was up in the midlands, she wasn't covered on our RAC policy but I called them anyway and explained she was stuck with our then 4 year old. 'Don't worry Sir we can add her to your policy for £30 where is is she?, right give me a minute....right I've sent the patrol out they will be with them in 15minutes' They didn't even try to fix the Range Rover they just bunged it on the flatbed and brought them all home. £30 was less than the cost of fuel for her to drive home!

Will :)

I've been with the AA for over 2 decades on and off. I used them a couple of days ago and the van arrived in 40 minutes. The chap couldn't fix the air leak in the diesel fuel system, though he got the engine started, and offered a tow. I eventually declined as I could limp home and then save the tow, if I needed it, to the garage the next day. Prior to that I hadn't had a call out for 7 years. All my call outs before then have been within the hour and included a lot of long distance recoveries of over 300 miles.

The only bad one was in the winter of 1993 when I broke down in Snowdonia with a broken timing belt on the six wheeler. I called for a recovery at 4.30pm and at 7pm a little van arrived with a Series 3 fan belt. At 11.30pm an RAC lorry came out, called by the AA, to take me to the Birmingham AA depot. From there I was taken home to London on an AA lorry. I arrived home at 4am. The only warm drink I had all that time was a cup of machine tea at the AA depot, I wasn't far off hypothermia.

I have AA relay plus though I have had RAC and Green flag. Never called out Green flag but I did once have both AA and RAC together when they first introduced the 6 calls a year limit. I needed both and alternated the calls all through the year to stay within the call out limit.

RAC for me too.

Have always been prompt to attend.

Wife & both sons covered under my membership.

Last two uses were eldest son after non fault RTA on Aston Expressway. Vehicle extensively damaged. RAC attended & low loader recovered to Leicester. RAC recovered cost from other party & reinstated the 'life'

The other one was youngest son who decided not to bother going round a bend & finished with car on side in field. Car totalled. RAC attended the site the following AM by appointment, pulled car out of field & delivered it to local breakers at my request. Difficult recovery as car couldn't go back the way it had gone into the field. Very impressive.