Land Anchors

joe1970

Does anyone use a land anchor for winching, do they work well, what are there pro's and cons?

It depends what your using it for.

Plate and pins gets my vote for all purpose green laney type winching.

For comp stuff shovel type ones connot be beaten and the lighter they are the more your nav will thank you,

X-engs X anchor is one of the best and lightest on the market.

I have a plough anchor (copy of the Pull Pal design), and a military anchor which is a tube and eight pins, similar idea to the plate and pins mentioned above.

Both are pretty good in the right type of ground for them, and pretty weak in the wrong type (soft mossy peat being the wrong type as there is nothing there for the anchors to grip on).

Being as there are no trees round here to winch off, I never go anywhere without both though :)

They work very well but do take time to set up and then remove. The plough type are probably the best all round ground anchors.

Mo

Go for a plow type, I use a ScrapioRn anchor and its hard as nails probably the best product they have made/copied but its quite heavy! X-Eng anchor is incredibly light but from what ive heard it does not like the rocks and is bulky to stow on the truck. Devon anchors are good but they also bend when used in rocky ground. Carls Gold digger anchor is a good piece of kit, if i bent my Scrap iorn one thats probably what i would go for.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried this one from paddocks ? its around £60

The one in white90 post are £95 at anchor supplies

Yes I have one... don't bother unless you are trying to pull the skin off a rice pudding- The pins are far too short to hold even fairly light loads... as I have proved on a number of occasions (much to my co drivers annoyance!)

The Anchor Supplies one is the proper job- I have seen them used for heavy pulls in a variety of soils and always seemed to work very well.

Yes I have one... don't bother unless you are trying to pull the skin off a rice pudding- The pins are far too short to hold even fairly light loads... as I have proved on a number of occasions (much to my co drivers annoyance!)

The Anchor Supplies one is the proper job- I have seen them used for heavy pulls in a variety of soils and always seemed to work very well.

:i-m_so_happy: cheers Milemarker I will get the anchor supplies one then.

I made one up based on the proven D44 anchor , I used 4mm wall on the top beam and brought the triangle brace further foward along the top and further down towards the spade . Works a treat , The co driver seems to manage haulin it around ok and its very strong ,used it last year in Ireland to make a path through a 4` thick dry stone wall as a plough and it didnt even flinch .