UK•XTC

najw

Hmmm... This event has really got me in a pickle! :huh::huh:

I'm now booked in for KORC next weekend, and all being well I would like to enter XTC also... Driving from Eastbourne to Kirton 2 weeks in a row... Super! :rolleyes:

As long as the truck is still in one piece after HW2, then I will set about modding my cage/chassis to comply with the regs...

Rob

That doesn't normally pose a problem as long as they are braced, are you sure you are reading the regs correctly ? There's no reason not to have shock absorbers mounted to the cage in the regs.

The usual MSA scrutineers at Howling wolf round one said you can't have any suspension mounted to any part which is attached to the cage :huh:

My car won't pass anyway because of the steering as will some others who would do this event, but Myself and Glynn may do it in Glynn's car as that should pass if it is still in one piece after kirton

just need to get MSA licence

My car won't pass anyway because of the steering as will some others who would do this event,

John

Assuming you are talking about full hydro - this is not a problem as the Chief Scrutineer has agreed we can run the event with this.

Please email me some pics of the rear suspension mounts/cage

The usual MSA scrutineers at Howling wolf round one said you can't have any suspension mounted to any part which is attached to the cage :huh:

It cannot be connected directly to the main roll cage structure but it can be connected to a component that is, in turn, welded to the cage. In your case if you have a loop welded to the cage and the shock absorber is mounted to that it should be OK if it is braced. It's described in [F]284 and is specific to cross country.

284. Vehicles must be fitted with sprung suspension

between wheels and chassis, unless originally

manufactured otherwise. Where the top mounting of

the shock absorber, whether or not it is fitted with a coil

spring, is mounted directly to a main member of the

roll-cage, a brace must be fitted between the mounting

point and the chassis or those members of the vehicle

frame acting as the chassis. It is prohibited to mount

the shock absorber by drilling and/or welding a stud or

bolt directly to the roll cage. All mountings must be

made with reinforcements in material at least the same

thickness as the roll cage wall thickness. The

recommended mounting is shown in Appendix 1,

drawing number 284.

You should always be prepared to challenge a scrutineer, scrutineers can't read every detail of the regs as it relates to your vehicle and may not always be aware of changes to the regs.

Entries received/promised to date:

Tim Burt/Jake Lloyd

Steve Gittins/Mark Morgan

Dave Crossman/J Urwin

Rob Butler/Andrew Marshall

Richard Nicolson/TBC

Paul Bass/TBC

Jim Marsden/TBC

• 3 weeks later...

All went ahead successfully despite a low turnout.

Steve Gittins withdrew on Friday as his vehicle wasn't ready and Paul Bass had some excuse or another (see above) :rolleyes:

Rob Butler trashed his car on the first run, bending his front radius arms and shoving the front prop through the transfer box I believe.

Richard Nicolson and Nick Bolt had two max runs in the first 6 due to mechanical issues and eventually had to retire with a sheared brake line on his 7th run.

Tim Burt and Jake Lloyd had no mechanical issues all day, came in 2nd overall and managed fastest run at 17:39. Their overall time was 2:56:30

Dave Crossman and J Urwin split an oil cooler hose on the first run but managed to get it repaired. They then had to do pretty much back to back runs to get all eight in in the time allowed. They ran out of fuel at the 20 gate on Run 7 but managed to find half a Jerry Can to refuel complete the lap and the final lap. They were the overall winners with a total time of 2:47:39

The course was approx 2.8 miles as the crow flies with 20 gates to be visited. Eight runs were required to be started within a 5 hour window.

Thanks to the 20+ teams of marshals who made the event happen, the scrutineer and the timekeepers.

Hopefully there will be lots of pics and video to follow.

Well done Neil, I'm glad to hear that it went well.

I'm probably not interested in entering this sort of event, I come from the rally/speed end of the spectrum, but it fills an excellent gap between Challenging and Comp Safaris/Hillrallies and can only allow for some more cross over between the two, which should be good for everyone.

There are certainly those compers who complain about comps being too fast and not enough technical stuff, and I know there is a desire amongst some challengers to go faster!

Looking forward to the pics and videos.

H

Well that seemed to go well, all of the drivers seemed to enjoy themselves... Well done to the finishers, commiserations to Rob and Richard for the breakages...

Thanks must go to the hordes of marshals that sat out in the sun all day drinking tea! And the timekeepers for coming along too...

My photos are here: click

Videos will (hopefully) be on Youtube at the start of the week.

Hope we get to do this again! :D

Having watched it all day, all I can say is wow!

Does this create a new disicpline, I dont know, but what it does do is make the driver and co-driver work hard to plot their own course between the gates and find the fastest route, all at speed, on terrain that would loosen fillings!

It seems to sit firmly between winch challenge and comp safari. We all know that winch challenge is very slow and comp safari has developed so much, that now it is getting more like rallying. This XTC lets one group open up and go faster, whilst allowing all the old safari vehicles out there costing less than a small house, to be competitive again.

If the chaps in winch challenge who have been penalised for speeding, and all the old safari motors like the Tomcats were dusted off. The XTC would be way over subscribed and a series would be born.

You lot dont know what you are missing.

Roll on September!!!

It seems to sit firmly between winch challenge and comp safari. We all know that winch challenge is very slow and comp safari has developed so much, that now it is getting more like rallying. This XTC lets one group open up and go faster, whilst allowing all the old safari vehicles out there costing less than a small house, to be competitive again.

Going slightly off-topic...

Are you suggesting that it costs more than a small house to be competitive on Hillrallies and Comps these days?

I'm not convinced, although it helps if you can drive!

We've done pretty well on Hillrallies in the last 5 years (including 5th O/A Scottish Borders 2008 and 3rd O/A Baja National 2007 with regular class wins) in my Discovery, of which you could build an equivalent for approx £5000, possibly less.

I don't suppose there are many full-on challenge trucks that have had much less than that spent on them.

H

Going slightly off-topic...

Are you suggesting that it costs more than a small house to be competitive on Hillrallies and Comps these days?

I'm not convinced, although it helps if you can drive!

We've done pretty well on Hillrallies in the last 5 years (including 5th O/A Scottish Borders 2008 and 3rd O/A Baja National 2007 with regular class wins) in my Discovery, of which you could build an equivalent for approx £5000, possibly less.

I don't suppose there are many full-on challenge trucks that have had much less than that spent on them.

H

I can see your point, some challenge trucks can cost a fortune as can a fully sorted comp motor, the real difference as you say is the driver/ co driver combination. XTC, has no set course as such, just gates that have to be visited, unlike comp safari where the course is is set out quiet strictly, the real skill is picking your route to minimise time getting stuck/ broken, but still setting a fast time.

I`m building my own buggy for the main event (hopefully) and I have`nt got a bazzilian £`s to spend on it....