Diff guard opinions please?

There seems to be a bewlidering array of diff guards....

I'm not sure about the ones that seem to just bolt onto the diff pan - unless I'm reading it wrong, any impact (that isn't deflected) would just be transferred straight to the pan?

Which is why I'm quite attracted to the Gwyn Lewis ones:

wp84c91254.jpg

Link

It seems that with these welding onto the actual axle casing they would be more robust ? (not sure how easy it would be to access everything after they are welded on though?)

I'm also liking the idea of the more wrap around types - like the QT one:

849f_1.JPG

Link

That said I read on an old thread on here that a few folk were more than happy with the basic clamp on ones...

Any help for a bemused buyer?

I'm leaning towards Gwyn Lewis at the moment - at least partly because I know an amazing welder and they are quite cheap!

The wrap around ones like QT make are good in concept but if you are not running real big tyres they do rob you of a small amount af ground clearance and being flat also create more drag when the diff does ground out. It might not seem much but it can be enough to stop you getting along ruts that you never had a problem with before. The clamp on ones and the weld on section like Gwyn does are OK but again have the problem of getting filled up behind with muck. In the worse case this can force them off or else lead to rusting of the the thin case behind so that it becomes perforated and leaks. Best solution will always be to replace the pan with a weld in replacement.

I've got one similar to the Paddock one (though mine is a bit stronger by the look of it) and it is fine. Some say that you can bust the diff pan because of the way those bolt on but there seem to be a lot less stories of this than of busted QT type guards, and I have walloped mine fairly hard a few times and not had a problem.

I bought a rear one for my old 90 (QT) and then realised I actually rarely reverse into large rocks at speed, so haven't bothered with one on the 110.

i've got a couple like paddocks too there work well and i haven't had any problems with them!!

but if a go off roading in a lot of mud i have to take them off to get the mud out from behind them!!

sum people say that they come off if u hit sum thing with them but i think there didn't do them up tight!! :lol:

Just a decent wrap around type on the pan.

over the course of the last 2 or 3 years i have picked up and returned about 3 or 4 of these particular styles when clearing challenge sites which would suggest they either dont fit very well or people don't fit them well

The scorpion ones that I have fit very well, and TBH if mine was to come off, then my axle would sustain quite alot of damage I would think! However, there are others out there that don't fit very tight, like Rebel. My dad has some on his 90, tightened up all the same as mine, but has spun around on the diff pan.

Just a decent wrap around type on the pan.

That's exactly like mine and they are very strong. There is no way mine would "fall off" so I don't think people are doing them up properly. On the two-bolt ones you need to do the bolts up at the same time rather than tightening one and then tightening another, as then the first one you tighten goes slack.

The clamp on guards I had on mine work resonably well. Mine were cheap but never came off without using spanner (though a friend lost the same make gurad of his series). The down sides though was they were another mud trap and after a while I found 2 long cracks next to the weld holing the diff pan on.

I used a southdown axle guard for a while, which was effective protection. The downsides was it was a very bad mud trap and although the clearance under the lowest point was about the same as for QT style guards, the rest of the axle guard grounded out in ruts where other LR axles had worn a different profile into the ground.

Currently I've replaced both diff pans with 6mm thick pressure vesal end caps. There strong, very unlikely to come off, not a mud trap, no reduction in ground clearance and the entier diff pan is protected rather than just sections of it. The downside is they are not a quick bolt on option.

Theres always gigglepin weldon diff pans which are bombproof but would nessesitate you cutting off the old diff pan. Or, I understand that southdown were going to be doing a "stick on" version that was either welded or bonded over your old pan. I think JST had a set IIRC.

Adrian