Horizontal bandsaw

bishbosh

Having seen Simonr's bandsaw in action at the weekend and been suitably impressed, I think I must get one for myself!

One small problem is my budget is extremely limited, so am willing to consider almost anything.

From a bit of Googling it is obvious that the capacity of the machine drives the price (amongst other things). So for those of you that have one, is what you have big enough or do you wish you got the "next size up"? What size do you have?

Anyone got any recommendations? Not fussy about brand, it will only be used for hobby use (well, cutting up stuff to make other stuff!).

Thanks

I have a version of this one, as linked to above...

g409.jpg

mine is a sealy branded one and was a bit cheaper than that a couple of years ago... about £125 from eBay I think

It is a good, compact machine, especially for the price, but you get what you pay for - it doesn't have an automatic stop (mine does now) and it takes a bit of effort to get it set up right an cutting square (mine still dosn't). It will cut upto 100mm or so, which I rarely have need for more. I think I might be tempted to get a more expensive one, but for the money it is very good.

As well as the auto stop, I also put castors on the stand rather than the rubber feet - it makes it very easy too stash in the garage, and wheel out as and when required.

Cheers

Mark

I had one of these for quite a while, they are very very very good and also cheap to buy.

However I found prolonged use saw blades wear and go pop - poss due to lack of coolant, and I often found it was not able to take bigger lumps I wnated to saw up, so,

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...al-cutting-saws

one of these appeared slighty secondhand and I grabbed it, I was pleased with the 1st, and still deliaghted with the 2nd (this) blades are far more expensive but it cuts much bigger lumps ...........and the blades with the coolant last much longer

Nige

People - I've had a few PMs about the one I mentioned above.

If Bishbosh doesn't want it (it seems at the moment he might), I will pass the sellers details on to the next person to have replied, and so on down the line.

If anyone knows of a much bigger 3 phase horizontal band saw for sale anywhere, please let me know. :)

Cheers, Al.

Bish,

I'm down at Le Maison De Jez tomorrow, if it fits in a 300C boot and you could organise it we could bring it back to God's country and I could bring it into work on Monday

Will see what I can do...... :blink:

This is exactly the same as mine:

Machine Mart

Or Axminster tools - who at least have a shop in the west country. My friend Simon bought one of these - and I thought it was better made than mine.

Unfortunately, when they come up used - the price never seems to be much different to the new cost. It's so useful though that either way it's good value!

Si

How can the blades last longer when all the work is done in a few inches of teeth, compared to the full length of the bandsaw blade?

Of course you need to compare machines of similar quality and construction. There's no point comparing a budget bandsaw (as per this thread) with a large, heavy duty nodding donkey type (yeah, they are cool though).

Al.

Got any details? single phase? blade width / length? max material dimensions (width between blade supports, height under raised blade, clearance of upper structure (blade return conduit))? Make / model? condition? spares? coolant pump? hydraulic feed? auto blade stop? blade speed control range?

Al

:)

Or Axminster tools - who at least have a shop in the west country. My friend Simon bought one of these - and I thought it was better made than mine.

Unfortunately, when they come up used - the price never seems to be much different to the new cost. It's so useful though that either way it's good value!

I bought a used twice Axminster branded bandsaw off Ebay for £100 - delivered free. I've had it a couple of years and I don't know how I managed without it. Last week the no-volt switch fell to pieces but other than that it has been trouble free. I would recommend using decent (Starret) blades though - it's cheaper in the long run.