Parts washer fluid

steve_d

Have just bought a parts washer and to go with it a bottle of concentrated parts washer liquid by Clarke.

I'm using the recommended 10:1 mix but am not happy with the result as it does not dissolve grease very well. Having said that it is safer than my normal method of washing items in a biscuit tin of petrol.

Anyone have a favourite product or home brewed mix that they can recommend?

Thanks

Steve

I bought the floor standing parts washer from MachineMart. The fluid is rubbish - used diluted or in concentrate form. From the smell of it I would say it contains some phosphoric acid? Anyway, the washer holds 30-litres, so I use 20-litres of paraffin, and 10-litres of Jizer. You have to use something that doesn't damage the pump motor, so petrol/cellulose thinners/etc can't be used.

Les.

I think the paraffin is going to be the way forward.

Next problem is going to be finding somewhere to buy it. Garages used to sell it but I've not seen it for years.

Any ideas?

Steve

Q8 Depot In Fernhurst sell both Kersone and I think parrifin via a pump - take jerry cans and DIY

I bought JW 20 litres of Kersone for £11 a couple of months of so ago :) ?

Nige

I bought a floor standing parts washer from Machine Mart a couple of years ago along with some of their eco-friendly bio-degradable cleaning fluid. Unfortunately, like many eco-friendly options, it was utterly useless. Worse, after a period of inactivity over the summer, I opened the lid of the washer to find a hideous jelly monster had taken up residence while I was away. It was like something from a 1950's horror movie. The whole machine was choked with it.

I found this on Ebay: G-Solve.

It works as well as petrol, washes off with water - and doesn't become a living organism when it warms up.

I had the same nasty jelly form in mine, using the bio degradable machine mart stuff. It also rusted the parts washer to the extent that it's got a pin hole in the bottom (gaffa tape fixed that)

Since it was knackered by then I decided to use diesel. Works loads better and the pump is still going strong but it does make your hands stink wheras the bio degradable stuff smelt citrusy

• 2 weeks later...