Fitting a 90 Truck Cab Roll Cage System

Honest answer, how often do you ever use the friggin highlift ????

:lol:

Me ?

lots - like the last 4x I've been out - but bear in mind I do a fair bit of marshalling / recovery work

4th time - muppet at DRD hit tree - highlifted out wings from tyres

3rd time - DRD - chap had rolled on its side door wouldn't shut - highlifted bulkhead back into position

2nd - Er, a "Certain Moderator" <cough> Daan - crushed roof, highlifted some of it back into position <cough> :) ( :P Daan :lol: )

last time - me - wheel change :(

As such I always feel happier carrying one, as a Marshall it gets used more than normal :)

Nige

Yaahaay :)

Cage off :)

When you get to this point 2 things :

1 - As you undo every nut and bolt to remove - the less the cage moves about the better.

If you have welded it up 'bit by bit', and have it all bolted down the good news if when its all unbolted

is if it barely moves (as in this case), then it not only makes it a whole load easier to put back on :lol:

but also means its not under tension when on :) - which is a good thing

2 - When you do get it off, you'll be amazed as to how much is still yet to weld up :(, so about 1.5 hours later

it was all fully welded up. However again - when doing this turn the assembly in every 'plane' up down

left right front back to make sure you get everywhere that needs finish welding - when you have done this

check again, and then systemeatically go around the unit - you'll still find more :lol:

When welding it up - as before go little by little - there is now NOTHING holding it in place, and it can distort if you go mad

and weld big gaps up in one go, do just bit at a time and all around it rather than one big welding session on one tube..

Then a sharp chisel - and knock and clean off all the splatter and bobs chiselled off, and then rubbed down with Wet & Dry for paint to key, then

a good wipe over with a syenthic thinners coverrd rag.

post-22-1234110467_thumb.jpg post-22-1234110457_thumb.jpg

Left to dry, then painted in primer (what a PITA a cage is to paint :lol: ) and then shoved in

to the garage to dry more before top coats start

More to come

Nige

:lol:

Prob is

1 - I'm a tad tight £ wise

2 - I am more than capable of doing it myself

3 - Wanted different mountings (front hoop) and highlift etc etc

4 - Bought the cage to save Time and Money its well made and I defo don't regret buying it - fitting it is just time

5 - My time is free :)

Nige

Always a highlift in the car I reckon, use it as a jack, use it to break beads of the tyre when you fix the puncture, use it to hit irritating people who highlight other peoples fockups for as long as they live round the head (Did I really write that?, moderator edit please, oh is it you nigel!?).

Still, under the floor is better I reckon.

daan041.jpg

daan

Just a thought Nige, how long will you be crying for after you "lean" your luvverly shiney painty cage up against the first tree...?

Surely a tin of hammer****e and a 2" brush is a more pragmatic approach?

Oh, sorry, don't think Hammer****e comes in primer grey....... now I understand fully..... :lol::P

Too right - all that shiny bling will will only get scuffed-off on a bit of torn bark somewhere :rtfm: . Fluffy bunnies/birdies/vitally important insects/fungus (not the toe nail type), will get destroyed by your irresponsible abuse of the countryside that us ramblers are trying so hard to protect.

Buy a Prius, fit a pipe lagging roll cage to it, use it only for absolutely vital planet-saving missions (and only at no more than 5mph), then perhaps you will understand that pink is girly ****e this is the best way forward for the planet, the universe, and everything.

Your turn Bish :)

Les.

I've always painted my cages body colour - sorts of makes them dissappear vs the

other route some go on bright yellow cages on Red or Yellow on Purple LR type 'stylee' :lol:

And I also had 3 litres in the workshop :lol::)

As an example of the other end of the spectrum I'm at :

post-22-1234303237_thumb.jpg

.......I rest my case ? :rofl:

Wore head cover this time, but, another tip is when your mixing paint,

(with latex gloves on to keep the paint on them and off your hands)

Ignore that pesky itch in your ear, ....and whatever you do................

... don't go sticking a (painty) finger in it to "Jiggle" it better

"Bugger", again seems to sum it up. :blink:

Nige

I've always painted my cages my hair colour - sorts of makes wearing a syrup a bit pontless them dissappear vs the

other route some go on bright yellow cages on Red LR type stylee :lol:

And I also had some B&Q rubbish in the workshop :lol::)

Wore a ginger wig and stilletto's this time, but, another tip is when your mixing paint,

(with latex gloves on to keep the paint on them and off your wrinkly bits)

Ignore that pesky itch in your rear, ....and whatever you do................

... don't go sticking a (panty) finger in it to "Jiggle" it better

"Bugger", again seems to sum it up, but then, that's what I like :blink:

Nige

Les :P

I've always painted my cages body colour - sorts of makes them dissappear vs the

other route some go on bright yellow cages on Red or Yellow on Purple LR type 'stylee' :lol:

And I also had 3 litres in the workshop :lol::)

As an example of the other end of the spectrum I'm at :

post-22-1234303237_thumb.jpg

.......I rest my case ? :rofl:

Wore head cover this time, but, another tip is when your mixing paint,

(with latex gloves on to keep the paint on them and off your hands)

Ignore that pesky itch in your ear, ....and whatever you do................

... don't go sticking a (painty) finger in it to "Jiggle" it better

"Bugger", again seems to sum it up. :blink:

Nige

Is that Ali Read?

Today saw Cage on and bolted in and much F about putting the side glasses back in the truck can base - what a giant PITA they are to get in,

Much activity sees a 90 taking shape again, much to do but can now move around the workshop without falling over lumops of 90 :)

post-22-1234631033_thumb.jpg post-22-1234631069_thumb.jpg

The new cage is a tad wider, esp with my type of cgae mounting to chassis, so shaped around

the wing at the base and amde an internal stay up to hold in place

post-22-1234631161_thumb.jpg

Roof Just about went back on, tight squeeze, then jiggling about to get door shuts and new Mil Dopor tops ftitted and closing properly

Have some more spraying to do yet, maybe tommorrow, cage fits a treat and its the finishing off now, rather than going out tommorrow

with SLRC for a play :(

post-22-1234631184_thumb.jpg post-22-1234631207_thumb.jpg

More yet

Nige