and another illegal car on ebay...

stobbie

That's an odd one. :blink:

:P Police, someone stole my engine, really! O, just fit another engine and ring the car with the registration of the new engine, and everything will be fine.

That is a rather brave ebay advert and not one I would bid on :blink: .

So has this one got a leaf sprung series chassis then?

No - you can see the coils in one of the pictures. From the text it looks like he bought an engine with the log book from the vehicle it came out of, then put the reg on the 90. If that's what he did, then it's illegal.

Saving £200 a year road tax by risking your vehicle being siezed/you being prosecuted, seems incredibly stupid to me.

Les.

No - you can see the coils in one of the pictures. From the text it looks like he bought an engine with the log book from the vehicle it came out of, then put the reg on the 90. If that's what he did, then it's illegal.

Saving £200 a year road tax by risking your vehicle being siezed/you being prosecuted, seems incredibly stupid to me.

Les.

More like had an engine and a log book....found another 90 to put it in and voila!

^^^ Thats a odd one

takes what was a P PLate and makes it a B plate :blink:

Er why on earth would you do that at all ?

And '1 guess' as to if it has a chassis number on the leg of the front chassis that it doesn't "Quite" match the V5

A giant pile of trouble for some poor unsuspecting buyer :(

nige

There seems to be a lot of confusion over SVA. An SVA test is not an engineering inspection of the chassis. I've built a number of kit cars, the SVA inspectors are looking to make sure that your vehicle is safe, and will for this reason check the quality of construction but most failures are on technicalities of the regulation. Spacing of lights, unprotected radius, exposed nuts/bolts and non working lights/wipers etc.

To SVA a land rover should be easy as everything important goes in one place, you would have to go out of your way to get it wrong.

These cars on Ebay should maybe go through the test and they would most likely pass but unlikely keep their registration. Most would get a Q plate once it was proven that all of the parts where legit, even if from various other cars.

People have been doing this kind of thing for years and I often think that the people selling them don't know what has been done themselves. It may be that the technical legality of these cars should be questioned but most people buying will understand that. The safety of the vehicles is a different matter and without seeing it we can't really comment. There are plenty of factory standard cars out there that shouldn't be on the road.

i also forgot to add this one too

not that i'm looking for another motor but just like too browse

dave :)

Recieved today from the seller after queerying the ID being from the engine not the chassis: it is legal i checked with the police before i bought it .If it wasn't i would not be abe to insure it or tax it.The chassis number is the same as on the documents and the documents say it is a 1985 2.25 petrol in green.

So he is saying that because he changed the engine the vehicles identity has been changed as well ? Seems very strange to me (actually it's absolute rubbish he is talking). I changed the engine in my 1988 90 from a 2.5 TD to a 300Tdi. The vehicle did not change it's identity they just put the new engine number on the documents. Maybe I should have put a 1970's V8 in it and had it tax free :lol:

Ivan

So he is saying that because he changed the engine the vehicles identity has been changed as well ? Seems very strange to me (actually it's absolute rubbish he is talking). I changed the engine in my 1988 90 from a 2.5 TD to a 300Tdi. The vehicle did not change it's identity they just put the new engine number on the documents. Maybe I should have put a 1970's V8 in it and had it tax free :lol:

Ivan

i bought a new diesel motor for my 2.3 petrol 90 of e bay. i then tried to get my v5 amended and tell the dvla about my new engine so as to be all above board. turned out the new engine was without an engine number , it had been polished off.

''thats ok'' said the woman in the dvla , just put N/A on the form and we will issue you with a new engine number, which they did.

the engine was a re-con but could quite easily have been stolen and undressed of its identity.

why dont they have mandatory x-rays to find out the old numbers in cases like this cos thats one hell of a stupid loop hole enabling people to register stolen engines with new numbers?