Towing vehicle...pref a van

T1G UP

OK as you may well / well not know two of our vans got bashed up before chrismas by our friendly chav drifter.

We will be recieving a cheque soon and was wonderig what to buy next.

Would like a commercial vehicle that will tow a trailer and a td5 90 plus spares around the country.

Cheapish as the cheque will be around 4-5K,

Whats the weight of that set up 3000kg?

Whats on the market that will pull that lot and can be slept in?!

I don't think there are many vans that will legally tow a 3500kg trailer

with all thats going on with VOSA i would be careful because its not the weight that you are, its the weight that you are capable of carrying which means you cant tow a 3500kg trailer empty behind a navara or a 2750kg trailer behind a hi-lux in the eyes of the law you see alot doing it but if they had a serious accident i think they would be up for the highjump

Landrover 3500kg

toyota landcruiser 3500kg

nissan patrol 3500kg 2600kg if automatic

toyota hi-lux 2000kg

nissan navara 2750kg 2600kg if automatic

you could use a mercedes vario 7.5t but you would need a class one licence as on a car licence you car only tow 750kg behind a 7.5t ie 8250kg train weight

quite a few use vans and they tow fine but not all would be legal doing it

I don't think there are many vans that will legally tow a 3500kg trailer

with all thats going on with VOSA i would be careful because its not the weight that you are, its the weight that you are capable of carrying which means you cant tow a 3500kg trailer empty behind a navara or a 2750kg trailer behind a hi-lux in the eyes of the law you see alot doing it but if they had a serious accident i think they would be up for the highjump

Landrover 3500kg

toyota landcruiser 3500kg

nissan patrol 3500kg 2600kg if automatic

toyota hi-lux 2000kg

nissan navara 2750kg 2600kg if automatic

you could use a mercedes vario 7.5t but you would need a class one licence as on a car licence you car only tow 750kg behind a 7.5t ie 8250kg train weight

quite a few use vans and they tow fine but not all would be legal doing it

Thanks saley,

So to clarify a navara/ hilux / l200 / 110 double cab would not be able to ,legally, tow a comp spec td5- 1900KG? and a decent trailer?

What about a 7.5 tonne curtain sider or flat bed? looking on ebay there are a lot of ex scaffold wagons and merc curtain siders that look like fitting th bill.

Shame as we could have a navara for £180 a month lease purchase, but i need to know i'm at least starting off on the right foot.

i used to have a 91 plate Pajero 2.5Td and it was ok done the job, but i sold it and bought a 03 plate 3.0ltr Patrol and it is awesome the thing will pull a house down and there is plenty of room for storage

I towed 300 miles each way to Kirton and i used 70 quid each way i think i worked it out at 24 to the gallon which i think is very good

so the patrol gets my vote although i nearly bought a Landcrusier but they hold their money a lot more than the Patrol

Nobby

Thanks saley,

So to clarify a navara/ hilux / l200 / 110 double cab would not be able to ,legally, tow a comp spec td5- 1900KG? and a decent trailer?

What about a 7.5 tonne curtain sider or flat bed? looking on ebay there are a lot of ex scaffold wagons and merc curtain siders that look like fitting th bill.

Shame as we could have a navara for £180 a month lease purchase, but i need to know i'm at least starting off on the right foot.

If you go down the 7.5t route you will get the hassle that goes with it 6 week inspections taco's etc

i looked at it but not worth the trouble, and yes if you tow commercialy you will need a taco i had to fit one to a 110, if the train weight is over 3.5t ie car/van/4x4 and trailer towing for gain you will need a taco

If you go down the 7.5t route you will get the hassle that goes with it 6 week inspections taco's etc

i looked at it but not worth the trouble, and yes if you tow commercialy you will need a taco i had to fit one to a 110, if the train weight is over 3.5t ie car/van/4x4 and trailer towing for gain you will need a taco

if it is not being used for hire or reward you do not need tacho or 6 week inspection,thats why a lot of motox boys use 7.5t as campers.

im not sure about the legality but you could put it on a close back transit-we put 2 and a bit tonnes in a tipper back and tow a chipper sometimes. and its not too bad. you can get the the ecu re mapped and its (apparently) barely noticable.

lease hire/purchase companies are biting peoples hands off at the minuite.

my knowledge of towing laws is very limited, so apart from knowing that the above is slightly dubious in the eyes of the law.

although i know a few tree firms which use the iveco 7.5 tonne-i dont know what they are called, but they all love them.

i was interested to know what exactly the law was, and found this-hope its of some use!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...les/DG_10013074

Subcategory C1+E allows vehicles to be combined with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

i didnt realise that, and it dosnt mention tacho's!

Subcategory C1+E allows vehicles to be combined with a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the combination does not exceed 12 tonnes MAM and the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

Only if you passed a specific C1+E test, if you got C1+E on your license due to passing you car test before IIRC 1997?? then you will be have code 107 listed next to C1+E which means you're limited to 8250kg.

I have an Iveco 35S12 MWB 2.3 and have found it great for towing, even with the big rear overhang. So far not really had more than about 2000kg on the back and that was fine even with a lightly loaded van. Maybe could do with a bit more power, but it's still got more go that towing with a tdi so it does the job. I bought this van (to convert to a camper) specifically because it had a decent towing capacity, 2800kg. Most 3.5T vans are limited to around 2000kg towing capacity.

if you want to go by the book if you are using the vehicle in any comp that has prizes you should have a tacho and o license as it becomes hire and reward as you are using the vehicle for gain , as for trailers if the trailer is empty it does not matter what the plated weight is as long as the actualy weight does not exceed the legal towing weight of the tow vehicle

Only if you passed a specific C1+E test, if you got C1+E on your license due to passing you car test before IIRC 1997?? then you will be have code 107 listed next to C1+E which means you're limited to 8250kg.

I have an Iveco 35S12 MWB 2.3 and have found it great for towing, even with the big rear overhang. So far not really had more than about 2000kg on the back and that was fine even with a lightly loaded van. Maybe could do with a bit more power, but it's still got more go that towing with a tdi so it does the job. I bought this van (to convert to a camper) specifically because it had a decent towing capacity, 2800kg. Most 3.5T vans are limited to around 2000kg towing capacity.

How about a Discovery commercial (if there's enough room in it?).

I use a Vito 3.0 diesel to tow my 90. If you buy it new Mercedes will uprate it to a towing weight of 2500kg. For towing its awesome it will hold more than the legal limit going over the M62 without missing a beat.

If you are very careful with choosing a light trailer - I actually bought a new 12 foot car trailer rated at 2500kg - then the whole unit is legal. Alternatively I've now also got a Disco Commercial so I'm rated at 3500 to tow with that. Which one I will use this year will depend on the site conditions, and whether we will need 4wd to move off.

Just checking on Mercedes site again you can have a Sprinter uprated to 2800kg which gives you a bit more leeway.

I have a 2.8 Iveco that i use sometimes for racing if its a overnighter, I can normally make it there and back in a day now so mainly My bobtail tows perfect for that,

The Iveco is the early 2.8 turbo one on a T Plate a much better van than the newer ones solid built spot on engine's its 3500kg tows perfect been to tiverton and back in it on a tank of diesel towing my racer on a bateson trailer all spares etc cruised spot on 60-65 mph, I managed to put toilet, fridge, cooker, sink, 3 beds, tyre rack, tool box, spares and awning in a medium wheel base.

I know quite a few of the All wales driving club use the 5 tonne version to tow there racers ith

I use a Iveco 35s14 136hp, plenty of power and plop loads of room inside. I tow a 90 trayback all over the place on a 3500kg Ifor Williams without any problems. Never had a issue with getting in/out of a sites, and would only use a 4x4 if i was going abroad. The only thing we have found is the passenge seat in most vans is uncomfortable.........there built for driver's!

I use a Iveco 35s14 136hp, plenty of power and plop loads of room inside. I tow a 90 trayback all over the place on a 3500kg Ifor Williams without any problems. Never had a issue with getting in/out of a sites, and would only use a 4x4 if i was going abroad. The only thing we have found is the passenge seat in most vans is uncomfortable.........there built for driver's!

Thanks Adrian,

You're van and shaun from NOR gave me the idea for the iveco.

The only thing i'll tow is the 90 occasionally or my mk1 golf track car but that weights 800kg's so nothing to worry abut there.

personally i'm leaning toward a cheap 7.5 tonne curtainsider. it'll carry everything...be quite cheap and be a bloody big tent aswell!

AS i'm now the grand old age of 36 i think my licence covers me for driving a 7.5 tonner. Well if it aint i've driven loads of them with greedy boards on!

I've been told most curtainsiders weigh around 4 tonne so with the 90 and spares it should come in under 7.5 tonnes.

God this 4x4 things hard work.....might stick to RTV!

if you want to go by the book if you are using the vehicle in any comp that has prizes you should have a tacho and o license as it becomes hire and reward as you are using the vehicle for gain , as for trailers if the trailer is empty it does not matter what the plated weight is as long as the actualy weight does not exceed the legal towing weight of the tow vehicle

I think you will find you are wrong

if it is not being used for hire or reward you do not need tacho or 6 week inspection,thats why a lot of motox boys use 7.5t as campers.

They changed the law last year thats why there are so many for sale and also so many horse boxes

as they had sleeping in them they could be classed as campers(class 4 mot same as a car) , but it changed as they are now classed as transporters if they can carry anything horses cars etc, so became good vehicles needing 6 week check and so on, you are looking at old regs

check before you buy, Glyn has had to put a class 7 mot on his coach which came with a class 4 a year ago because they change the regs

it is still classed as a camper but can carry goods so now needs a commercial mot and licence

a lovly roadrunner 150 sleeper curtainsider in this weeks truck trader , i think it was about 1700 quid would be well worth a look , i better phone vosa and tell them they dont know what they are doing as its them that gave me the information re tachos and towing o yes and my brother in law who is a traffic cop

I'm selling this lovely bit of kit, not really a van, but tows like hell (7,500kg rating) and is rated as a car, so no tacho.

post-5209-1232368989_thumb.jpg

Seriously though, LWB American pick ups are getting very cheap at the current time, diesel ones are better on fuel than a 7.5 tonner and they're so much nicer to drive and live with. We've replaced the Hummer with a Ford F350 and it tows my Disco on trailer like it's got a bag of sand in the boot.

It's a car you could, just about, use everyday and still use as tow truck to events. I know what i'd rather drive around the country in out of an Iveco van and a Ford F350.