warning about posting pics

dirtydiesel

could I put my hand on my heart and say there is nothing on my truck that is dodgy or badly built

Well if you don't think your standard of work/manship is as good or better than the manufacturer, then learn to do it better or pay someone that is good enough. DIY repairs/modifications will always end-up in the lime light when things go pear-shaped unfortunaely.

Les.

Weird or what?

There's no understanding the DVLA, they got bored of holding a V5 they were refusing to give back and just updated it and posted it to me :blink: that was for a car bought as a write-off, re-registered, MOT'd, driven for 18 months (including another MOT) and then when I sent off to change my address (nothing else) they kicked off about a VIC :rolleyes: so I told 'em I couldn't be bothered to VIC a car worth nothing, they then said they would not re-issue the V5... then after holding my V5 for 3 months got bored and just sent it back, updated! Quite how that protects anyone from ringers and write-offs is beyond me as their laziness just made what they claim was an unidentified write-off legitimate! :rolleyes:

might be abit O/T but at what point do you need to tell the DVLA about any alterations etc.

and when would they tell you about it a letter threw the post etc fine, but pulling you up at the side of the road taking the vehical off you find your own way home when they may have known about anything for a long time is laziness an wrong.

the main problem with it all is were do you get the correct info from and how do you keep it up to date, and it being made accessible and understandable will prob not be cheap for us to view it.

dave

might be abit O/T but at what point do you need to tell the DVLA about any alterations etc.

According to the notes that come with your V5 you must notify them of all modifcations immediately. It is up to them to decide if the modifications are significant or not.

Does it say how you should let them know?

ie does sending the V5 back with the box ticked for change - and giving a new cc and engine number enough? would they then either just accept the changes or prompt you for more information - or is the onus on you?

Because if the onus is on you it doesn't specify that on the V5 that you should do more than notify then through its use.

My Saga started with changing the engine from a V8 to TDi :o

Changed the engine number and fuel type.....no V5 returned, so when I rang up asking where it was, I told they were waiting for me to call, and it would need inspecting !

Luck of the draw IMHO ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In a new twist,

3 weeks after issueing me with a (poorly) amended v5, they've sent me a letter saying that they cannot issue me with a v5 because it need's a "vehicle inspection" again no mention of VIC or IVA.

Interestingly this letter has been signed by a "real" person and i have a contact number so i might get some sense out of them tomorrow.

Dan,

Exactly the same as mine panned out, after the "engineer" visited me at home, they wanted me to take the truck to them, but as I had no trailer, and no V5 etc, they came out about a week later, few days later letter with a SVA application in with it.... :(

Prob not what you want to hear <_< , but just thought i'd share my experience....

That said.......other people on here have had inspections and not had a problem :blink: ....just hope the guy you get is one of those :D

Well i have a date for the inspection, next thursday the 19th.

They've chosen to class it as a radically alterered vehicle, which is interesting because in the guideline information it doesn't so anything about the chassis needing to be standard.

And i have enough points for a pass(ish).

That said, i've been researching which sva station is closest. ;)

I would guess that you told them of change of engine number / size ;) ........................... that is all it takes and that is what starts the ball rolling. You get a letter back that sort of says 'prove it' and what other mods are there ...................

:)

Ian

No Ian i could understand that, but this has all come about from a simple change of address.

If I have been following the details correctly, it doesn't seem to be such a great mystery that things have progressed as they have.

Firstly there was the occurrence when they first became interested in the vehicle, the likely reason for which was identified as the car's appearance on this forum, then secondly there was the 8-page report and 50 photographs that you supplied detailing the modifications.

Those factors do seem to be all that would be required for them to request an inspection and class it as a radically modified vehicle (assuming of course that the details in the report sent to them substantiated that).

I hope all goes well for you. It looks like it's going to end up with a Q-plate to me, which I don't suppose will bother you in this case, will it?

Mike

If I have been following the details correctly, it doesn't seem to be such a great mystery that things have progressed as they have.

Firstly there was the occurrence when they first became interested in the vehicle, the likely reason for which was identified as the car's appearance on this forum, then secondly there was the 8-page report and 50 photographs that you supplied detailing the modifications.

Those factors do seem to be all that would be required for them to request an inspection and class it as a radically modified vehicle (assuming of course that the details in the report sent to them substantiated that).

I hope all goes well for you. It looks like it's going to end up with a Q-plate to me, which I don't suppose will bother you in this case, will it?

Mike

Q Plates aren't the issue, its all the hassle getting a car through an SVA which is the problem. The chassis has been altered & VOSA don't seem to like chassis alterations.

I hope they don't make it too awkward for you.

An address change shouldn't cause all this hassle, I guess they have seen what you have done to vehicles in the past???