P38a diesels

MogLite

For my next 4x4 I want a mild off-roader, something I can marshall at play-days in, possibly green-lane, and longer term, a gentle overland trip to Northern Africa.

I've done Discos and TDI's to death, I'm even being swayed towards LandCruisers :ph34r:

But I thought why not do a P38a ?

I'm thinking Trek/G4 style, sensible sized muds, roof-rack, mild suspension lift - steel bumpers etc

Quick look at AutoTrader seems P38a DSE's are available from about £6K

I'd be looking at a "Stolen Recovered" or a "Needs Tiding" or even an ex-police vehicle so I don't get pangs of guilt cutting into it :lol:

Anyone seen any "project" P38 diesels for sale recently ?

Is there such a thing as an ex-Police DSE?

I'm only asking if you've seen any, I haven't been looking.

All I'd say about your aspirations, is please don't be a complete plonker and fit coil springs. If that is in your mind you might as well go Landcruiser, or some other antediluvian 'thing'.

I mean, there is no point in starting with a 'different' vehicle, then making it the 'same old stuff' underneath, now is there?

Generally though, I'd be interested to see how your project develops. As you say, it's about time, providing the essence of the 38A isn't lost in the process. That would be the 'new ground' in terms of modification design.

Cheers

Where's SteveG when you need him... :blink:

Steve was full of praise for his P38 (4.6 V8). I think his only gripe was that it is a tad lardy (i.e. wide) for green laning.

For an overland trip it would be fantastic, none of this slumming it ina 110, as long as you take a testbook with you.... :lol::ph34r:

I saw the recent article on the bobbed one, I would dearly like to see someone (are you volunteering?) take a P38a & make it hackable. By that I mean, fit MS, change the EAS module for something a bit more home garage friendly like the US ones and "simplify" the BCM. I am sure it wouldn't be so difficult for someone with the programming skills, understanding of LR's to write the software that you can hack inot yourself a la MS.

Agree with David & FF, keep the air suspension, knowledge of it is now out there and so are reasonbly priced parts, it has such potential to be both comfortable for everyday / longhaul use and still be tweaked for a decent days off roading without having to suffer major compromises or pay a fortune for a load of Scrapiron bits.

If only I had the time & the money :rolleyes: , very understanding wife I have already ;)

I saw the recent article on the bobbed one, I would dearly like to see someone (are you volunteering?) take a P38a & make it hackable. By that I mean, fit MS, change the EAS module for something a bit more home garage friendly like the US ones and "simplify" the BCM. I am sure it wouldn't be so difficult for someone with the programming skills, understanding of LR's to write the software that you can hack inot yourself a la MS.

Agree with David & FF, keep the air suspension, knowledge of it is now out there and so are reasonbly priced parts, it has such potential to be both comfortable for everyday / longhaul use and still be tweaked for a decent days off roading without having to suffer major compromises or pay a fortune for a load of Scrapiron bits.

If only I had the time & the money :rolleyes: , very understanding wife I have already ;)

I might rework the air-suspension to 4 x manual switches if it breaks. Or one of the fancy US control panels the low-riders use :ph34r:

BCM modules - I haven't got the skill to go there

MS - on a diesel ?

Pay for Scrapiron parts - over my rotting corpse :lol:

MS - on a diesel ?

People are working on it in the states on Duramax or whatever they are.

Personally I'd be thinking P38 = BMW Engine = time for something cheeky out of a 7-series or M5, although electronics would need to be ripped off as bimma stuff is a PITFA, probably won't run unless the electric windows are connected and the heated seat is at the right temperature <_<

Language, Mr. Freezer :angry: - geoffbeaumont

Edited by geoffbeaumont

MS - on a diesel ?

OK OK I missed that bit <_< or maybe I just thought being in the RR section I was amongst gentlemen :P

Perhaps along the lines of ripping the electric guts out of the BCM & put in a basic loom with a Heeeuuugee bank of rocker switches :D

I am not a particular fan of the P38a but that really looks good, Beware of the Dark side you must young Jedi B)

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I'm thinking about as a concept

But with less lift, and not that Warn winch.

You mean like this.. ;)

RRtyres033.jpg

255/85 16's BFG MT's,

1.5" air suspension lift using airbagman bladders and local independent LR shop with Autologic

trimmed inner wheel arches and rear bumper

custom winch bumper

custom side bars

Safety Devices diff guards

Safety Devices fiel tank guard

RRtyres002.jpg

If I had of kept it I would have adjusted rear spring mounts to correct angle, put in a rear ARB locker, added rear winch bumper, quick disconnects for anti roll bars, and finally got round to wiring extra battery and winches.

I liked 4.6v8 Thor engine, great on-road, all the low down torque that the you need off-road and with all the kit on it still did about 17mpg. The Thor engine is very resistant to water too! :ph34r: to a point! ;)

The P38 is extremely capable off-road with only front and rear and ramp over angles letting it down. And as BishBosh mentions width can be a problem when threading it through the trees at Slindon and through gates in wales! :o Try and find one with front & rear ETC and then if you were to fit a rear locker it would have great traction.

IMG_1127.jpg

Cheers

Steve

There's one for sale on the Chichester bypass for a smidge less than that IIRC - on the stretch from the fist Chichester roundabout to the Selsey one, westbound. There's always cars and vans for sale there - I'm not sure I'd buy one unless I wanted it for a project. He might be 100% legit, just something about people who sell cars from laybys... :unsure:

I'll looksee next time I'm going past.

They're very capable off-road (with a decent set of tyres before Mr Lovejoy points that out) and the only downside is the width down narrow lanes.

I've taken my 1999 DSE laning quite often and my only worries have been damage due to the width and the inherent worry about all the electrics - although mine's been fine.