"Eurosteel" plasma-alike

FridgeFreezer

If it is sailing rope - I would have one small reservation!

Most sailing rope has a high friction outer layer making it good for capstan winches, friction cleats, pulling in by hand etc.

4x4 winch line has a low friction outer so it will slide over itself on a drum and suffer less damage sliding over something else.

It may be that this difference is just spin by sellers of winch line - so it's worth a punt to find out. It would be marvelous if it turns out to be good. At that price, you could use it as bailer twine!

Si

I have spoken to Sue at southwest nets, as have quite a few others, and what they have is 3 strand which is not suitable for winching. It is also totaly different to what is on e-bay.

Peter

Maybe what southwestnets have in is only 3 strand but looking at what other items that chap is selling on ebay I would guess that the winch line he's selling comes from a net/fishing/boating supplier.

If it is sailing rope - I would have one small reservation!

Most sailing rope has a high friction outer layer making it good for capstan winches, friction cleats, pulling in by hand etc.

4x4 winch line has a low friction outer so it will slide over itself on a drum and suffer less damage sliding over something else.

It may be that this difference is just spin by sellers of winch line - so it's worth a punt to find out. It would be marvelous if it turns out to be good. At that price, you could use it as bailer twine!

Si

I thought 'plasma' winch line was a high performance yachting/sailing rope anyway, which is used to replace cable or the older style kernmantle (inner with outer sheath) type rope.

Makes you wonder why there is such a massive difference in cost doesn't it, given that it is presumably all made of more or less the same stuff :unsure:

One of the winch lines (is it the Amsteel Blue? I can't remember) is advertised as being originally developed for the marine industry so it must be quite similar.

Maybe what southwestnets have in is only 3 strand but looking at what other items that chap is selling on ebay I would guess that the winch line he's selling comes from a net/fishing/boating supplier.

I thought 'plasma' winch line was a high performance yachting/sailing rope anyway, which is used to replace cable or the older style kernmantle (inner with outer sheath) type rope.

Most ropes like this were originally designed for the marine industry when i worked as a delivery skipper the racing yatcts had two types of high performance ropes spectra and dyneema the real difference between the two is the abrasive 'coloured' sheathing which protects the inner core (usually white) made from 'spun' polymide this breaks down with prolonged UV exposure usually the sheathing is stripped back where it has to be spliced or connected to anything on bigger boats its often spliced to wire rope in areas like mast runners where high abbraision is likely. Splicing rope to wire cable is a real artform!

James, I think you’ll find the rope you have bought is a three strand synthetic rope with a breaking strain of 3 tonne, not suitable for winch use, sorry!

The rope on eBay is Eurosteel-12, a different rope entirely, now if you can find where the guy on eBay is getting it from you may be on to a winner.

I would love to be proved wrong and if so I will be on the line to Southwest Nets immediately!

a quick look at the US market will show you the best prices for synthetic winch line. The majority of it is made there and it is the biggest market by a long margin.

You don't so many supplying 3/8 line for less than 1 pound a foot.

These constant winch lines bargains always seem to turn out to be unsuitable for winching. As I'm sure Nick, roguevogue will say, even getting the 'correct' stuff at wholesale prices doesn't give you the margins to sell it for less than 1 pound per foot.

Cheers

Steve