Just got home on a yellow taxi

GBMUD

I set off with the Defender and the trailer this morning to drive from Wiltshire to Derbyshire to collect something. I only got about 20 miles when the Landrover cut out - I knew instantly what it was. Then it started to snow. The AA was ages but did at least send a contractor with a flat bed truck. I will now start changing the cam belt. :(

Chris

Bad Luck Chris :(

Bloody lucky it didn't go a few days beforehand though! I'm not sure I would fancy towing you round some of the lanes we did over the weekend! :huh:

Mark

Same thing happened to me back in october :( That was the day after a laning trip too...

Only just got the truck back on the road.

Guest diesel_jim

When mine last went (well, it wasn't the cambelt but one of the tensioner bearings), i got bored waiting for the recovery truck, so stripped the whole front end off the engine in preparation for the job!

(it pays to carry a toolkit when driving a LR! :D )

will it fit in the garage?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! ROFLMA! :D If the garage was tall enough then it would still be full of stuff with barely room to walk through it!

I was thinking about when it was last changed and I can only really guess - about 30000 miles/3 years is the best I can come up with. Definatly not more than 40k. I changed the tensioner at the same time and I am sure that it was all genuine kit too. My first thought was that water must have got in at the weekend but it is dry in there.

Freelander is still a work in progress - I have been too lazy to do it but I really must press on - I have realised that now the LR is broken I am carless - Sandbag abducts her car on a daily basis.

I would have started the job if it had not been miserable and snowing at the time! :)

Ha ha ha, fit in the garage indeed, you are a wag Tony.

Chris

O well can you rig up a cover to keep the snow off?

I changed my cambelt after 25k 2.5 yrs

the belt was fine but the crank seal was leaking.

bluddy miserable weather to be working on cars at the mo.

I remember Ali used to snap cam belt every two years weather he changed them or not. :lol::lol:

What I did this afternoon. I have presented it in an easy to follow instructional format. ;)

Once the fan, cowl and hoses are removed you can see the job.

53628.jpg

The first task is to remove the front crank damper (The bottom pulley to you and I). This is retained by a BIG bolt which is done up VERY tight. There is a proper special tool for restraining the damper while the nut is undone. I do not have one and took a chance by wedging the breaker bar against the chassis and spinning the engine on the starter motor. It works but it is NOT reccomended.

53629.jpg

When the bolt is removed you are supposed to use a puller to remove the damper from the crank. I know that mine is not a tight fit and can be removed by hand. You should be VERY careful about using levers to remove it as the timing cover may become damaged (cracked).

The seal in the front cover runs on the pulley. Mine is very warn and should be replaced. You can see the ring of wear.

53630.jpg

You can now remove all the bolts securing the front cover to the timing chest. It is best to keep these in order as they are different lengths and can be difficult to get back in the correct places. You will have to remove the water pump pulley too as some (shy) bolts hide behind it. Once ALL the nuts and bolts have been removed then VERY carefully remove the timing cover. Some parts of it are very thin and, if you force it, will break. If you need to use levers then be VERY gentle, damaging the mating faces may result in water ingress later - and the chance to repeat the job!

You will reveal:

53632.jpg

53633.jpg

53634.jpg

This is the tensioner.

53635.jpg

Once the rocker cover and the rockers thenselves have been removed you will reveal the pushrods. These are going to need replaceing!

53636.jpg

Here are the push rods in an artistic arrangement. You can see that most of them are no longer the arrow straight items they should be. I will be replacing all of them. And this evening I will be drinking the contents of the box. ;)

53637.jpg

On Saturday I will complete the job by putting it all back together with some shiney new bits. I will endevour to take some pictures of that too.

Cheers

Chris

O well can you rig up a cover to keep the snow off?

I changed my cambelt after 25k 2.5 yrs

the belt was fine but the crank seal was leaking.

bluddy miserable weather to be working on cars at the mo.

Luckily my house has a low roof with a big overhang. I can almost operate under the bonnet without getting wet - as long as the wind is in the right direction.

Mandy - I wish I had thought about taking a picture now.

Cheers

Chris

Bad luck Chris, at least you know how to fix it!

If we're doing flatbed pics, here's one of Jonathans ones. I think he's had a few due to wheelbearings and bits, don't think I had any rides when I was running it, just a jump start when the alternator was filled up with mud and left me stuck in Bluewater car park!

Flatbed.jpg

Richard