Pro's and Con's.. manual or auto...?

freeagent

right. i'm in the process of flogging the 110Tdi and purchasing a Disco 300Tdi.... (too many motorway miles these days) i've got about 4.5k to spend, maybe 5k if something realy nice come along... i want a base model Tdi, not bothered about leather or air-con, as long as its got sensible milage. <_<

thing is... a lot of those i've seen have been automatics, and i've never realy been a fan... so i'm just looking for some facts or opinions realy... is the fuel economy in a Tdi auto much worse than a manual? are the gearboxes reliable? what are they like to live with? it wont be used for serious off-roading but its first 'big job' is a trip to morroco in august.... :D

let me know your thoughts........ :huh:

thanks in adavance, m@tt. :)

I'm a fan!

dead easy to drive on or off road. Brilliant in traffic jams.

The ZF 4 speed boxes are pretty bomb proof so long as looked after. You will loose a bit of MPG around town, but they are about the same above 50mph as the torque converter locks and you bypass the bit that causes the loss in mpg.

If you are buying one, the way to test the auto box is: Foot on brake, put in drive and floor it. The engine should rev to and stay at a steady 1800 rpm. If it's higher or lower, the gearbox has problems - avoid.

Off road they are just brilliant! No worries about picking the wrong gear on hill climbs, no slipping the clutch to get it in to the power band and the torque converter gives you more torque at low speed so you can chug around most of the time wit the engine idling.

Down sides are:

On the Tdi they can feel a bit gutless, particularly pulling away. You can stick it in 1 or 2 to give you a bit more poke at difficult junctions though.

much less engine braking so you often need to ride the brakes decending hills (more brake pad wear and risk of heat fade)

You cannot bump start the vehicle if your starter motor fails (last weekend I came home from wales with the AA cos my starter let the smoke out).

Given a choice - i'd have one every time!

Si

Im a fan too...

Automatics are fantastic for traffic jams and queuing, I find they remove quite a bit of the driving stress when confronted with congestion.

Doesnt the viscous coupling reduce wear on the whole engine / drivetrain by eliminating knocks?

Doesnt the viscous coupling reduce wear on the whole engine / drivetrain by eliminating knocks?

Torque converter does. Viscose coupling is less good off road - they tend to vulcanise (become solid and lock) if you use them off road. They won't make much difference to wear or knocks.

The torque converter takes a lot of the shock loading out compared to dumping the clutch. You can still break stuff - but it tends to be down to torque rather than shock.

Si

ive just recently got a 200tdi/auto......... and i like it so much that ive decided to get rid of my 90.

i only do laning and the odd funday so im expecting any problems.

as for MPG im not sure yet as ive not botherd to check it...... but i will.

I agree with Si

I do 30,000 per year in my Disco Td5 Auto ES and love it I would only go back to a manual if I bought a performance car.

The Disco does

All road driving.

tows the Racers or the Challenge truck around to shows or garage.(weekly)

drive fully loaded with wife carp and two labs to go and see the surf chick sister in law in Bodmin from Southampton.

Looks the part when I attend business meetings.

I like the Vicious but only because I have blown loads of center diffs in my time and find they take out right abuse and mistakes better but overall may not last as long as a LT230. If that makes sense.

Julian

Viscose coupling is less good off road - they tend to vulcanise (become solid and lock) if you use them off road. They won't make much difference to wear or knocks.

Ah, so that's what's bad about them. A few people have told me they're supposed to be rubbish, but I really like mine - it's just there when you need it, and not when you don't. Suppose it takes some of the skill out of the driving, but I do more green laning than off roading and I'd rather not spin my wheels if I can avoid it! I can see that it lacks the precise control you might want on something like a challenge event, though.

My 2p worth. No experience of Autos but I know they can be great off road. But, just remember you can't bump start and auto (unless anybody knows different) which can sometimes be handy in the middle of nowhere if the starter motor or battery packs up. Also, I believe they are not as easy to tow as a manual/ can't be towed (not sure about this so hopefuly someone who knows autos can correct/clarify).

Ivan

My tuppence:

My dad has converted about three 200Tdi's to automatic for various people who wanted it and all have raved about how good the car becomes.

In my opinion unless you want the ultimate in economy then automatic has to be the way to go in all respects. We currently tow the Racer with a 200Tdi Automatic 110 CSW. I would not want to tow with manual now.

The gearbox is very tough, my old hybrid ran a ZF for about 10 years before it gave up, and that did all sorts of hard work.

Current box in the Tomcat seems to be standing up too.

Go for the Auto you won't regret it!

Cheers

Nev

I like the Vicious but only because I have blown loads of center diffs in my time and find they take out right abuse and mistakes better but overall may not last as long as a LT230. If that makes sense.

Julian

You mean if both are used properly and with mechanical sympathy the LT230 will last longer, but if their both abused the Viscous will take it for longer? Yep, makes sense :)

You mean if both are used properly and with mechanical sympathy the LT230 will last longer, but if their both abused the Viscous will take it for longer? Yep, makes sense :)

Yep

only IMO like you I find the VC nice being automatic lock engaging

and will take some of the snap out of the drive train making the diffs take a little less abuse

thanks guys, just what i'm after.... keep it coming.. :)

so do 300Tdi discos have a viscous coupling not a mechanical diff lock then?? :huh:

Matt if you do go Auto, remember that it is very hot out in Morocco in August, so give her an oil and filter change use good quality oil and add the additive that Ashcroft’s sell to help control the temp, also check oil cooler is fitted and working plus take oil as spare in case it spews it out.

I had a 300tdi Range Rover Auto was sluggish opened the pump up and it flew, I have a TD5 Defender Auto, would not go back to a manual.

Peter

My vote is for AUTO!

The NAS is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much nicer with a strong ZF box, even when the R380 manual box was less than 10,000 miles old there was huge amounts of backlash. Traffic, congestion, kick-down just gets better and better..............................

hmmmm.... thanks guys, it seams auto is the way to go.... :)

petergg, i'll drop you an email or something nearer the time to get some advice about morroco prep, and special prep that an auto box might need... are you going in august??

thanks again guys, if anyone else has anything to add, feel free........

m@tt :D

hmmmm.... thanks guys, it seams auto is the way to go.... :)

petergg, i'll drop you an email or something nearer the time to get some advice about morroco prep, and special prep that an auto box might need... are you going in august??

thanks again guys, if anyone else has anything to add, feel free........

m@tt :D

Hi Matt,

Not going in August too bloody hot :D Going for 3 weeks Oct, taking some Spanish over and a few Expats contact me if you wish always willing to help 07976 423307 or PM/E-mail. or if you are feeling brave pop to Bures again :)

Peter

V8 auto - brilliant on road just nail it and go superb in traffic or round town, good in some conditions off, but I'm not a fan off road really, at least not in the conditions I drive in

V8 manual - terrible all round (too much backlash x too sharp throttle = massive irritation) I spent £2000 to convert my old Discovery V8 from manual to auto that says it all really.

Tdi auto - terrible all round (too little power + too much lag x too much power disappearing into gearbox = massive irritation)

Tdi manual - brilliant off road loads of control, engine braking, does what you want when you want it, ok on it but not a patch on a V8 auto :)

Best solution if finances permit is one V8 auto and one Tdi manual, which is why I have exactly that :)

Don't know about a ZF auto but you can bump start an auto Merc G-wagon but you need to get it up to about 30mph before it will work :)

The diesel autos are usually quite a bit thirstier than the manuals because the engine is working flat out all the time, on a V8 I can't say I noticed much difference when I converted mine, maybe 1mpg or something?

Best solution if finances permit is one V8 auto and one Tdi manual, which is why I have exactly that :)

That's what I've got, but unlike you the tdi manual is my road car and the V8 auto the off road play thing. Only because I can't afford to run a V8 everyday, mind you the V8 play thing doesn't use much fuel at the moment :rolleyes:

If finances permited they'd both be V8 autos B)