Urgent Wheel Help

As some of you may know, Charlie the Camel 110 is heading to Ladoga this year to 'compete' in the tourist class (i.e. we're aiming for survival ;) ), much as we love our BFG's they won't cut it on the swamp and rock of Ladoga and are likley to get us in a world of trouble.

Research has lead to the Mudzilla and taking advice from others we need to get as close to the max tyre size as we can for the class in order to survive - this puts us with 33" 13.5 16's the actual measurements being 32.5" by 11.6".

Height wise we know there are no issues, width wise we have concerns. We're looking to buy a set of modulars to take out with us, the HD Camel rims are quite old and we don't want to rely on them and they are only 6.5" wide. Sizes suggested seem to be anything 8.5" + , ideally looking at 10" - comments?

Also, offset, this confuses me more than a confused thing. Positive = rubbing on the hockey sticks, negative = more sticky-outy, is that really a problem short-term?.... does anyone have experience of running these widths on a Defender? What has worked for you?

We leave at the end of May, so need to order asap - any experiences greatly, hugely, massively appreiciated... not that I'm panicing or anything... :huh::lol:;)

Thanks, Jen

Standard Mobulars have 4.25 or 4.5 inch backspace

these I would recommened as they limit the steering angle which will aide saving your CVs, too much back space or spacers will aide steering lock but wider angles available will also risk CVs.

I had 35" simex on 8" width modulars for a couple of years and the width etc never caused a problem.

Any particular reason for choosing 16in rims? The Mudzilla is available as a 33x13.50x15 which is what I run on my 110:-

post-33-1239750544_thumb.jpg

post-33-1239750555_thumb.jpg

these are fitted on 8x15 silver modulars, there are 10x15 modulars available if you want a bit of extra spread but I don't like them personally because 1) the vehicle gets too dirty in normal use! and 2) the clearance around the wheelarch eyebrows starts to look a bit suspect unless you have a mega suspension lift.

A lot of peeps run skinny-ish rims to balloon the tyre out, I'm led to believe it's of some benefit but not clear on the exact reasons behind it.

I think the theory is that the grippy bit is still touching the ground and the sticky out bit that you usually stick broken off fencing standards and rocks through is pulled in and thus a little less vulnerable. I've never been entirely convinced about the argument one way or the other - people here run both. What is not in doubt is that in a place like this with messy unsealed roads, narrower rims fire a lot less rocks and sh&t up the outside of the vehicle at 40-50mph which is why I use them - if I drove in the four miles to work on 10in rims this morning I wouldn't be able to see out of anything except the windscreen by the time I got there which gets a bit tiresome every day.

Thanks for the quick advice everyone B) ... and that Defender just looks awesome B)

No reason for the 16, I think we will probably go with 15", the 16" was just what came up on the search I did as I was typing this post :huh::lol:

We'll look to get the 8", I think the 10" would get tiresome based on your experiences. Looks like I'm going to spend tomorrow ringing around tyre companies :rolleyes: B)

As Jen says, thanks for the replies chaps :)

Bogmonster... your 110 looks groovy :wub: and based on your experience I reckon thats what we'll probably go for. Where did you get yours from?

Done a lot of reading on offsets and backspacing etc etc and am now utterly conflusticated :lol: hence the reason for asking for experiences.

Thanks again

Dan :)

Mine came from Silverline and yes I am quite fond of the thing as well :wub: it isn't always as clean as that!

Bear in mind that some sellers will probably tell you that they shouldn't be fitted to less than 8.5" rims if you are buying a package, I fitted mine to wheels I already had so that didn't apply. I know Silverline advertise in the mags for wheel and tyre packages but what combination of wheel and tyre sizes they do, I can't remember offhand.

TJ - Ta B) You're lovely you are!

Aiming to give Michedlever and the rest of my list a call today, I work in Winchester tho', so picking up isn't a major problem... just wondering if you'd fit 5x Mudzillas in a Subaru Impreza! :lol:

Jen

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd keep you all updtaed on this...

The wheels and tyres turned up over the weekend, so it would have been rude not to fit 'em...

OMG... Soooo big!!

Thanks again for your advice chaps... in the end that very nice chappy at JCS sorted us out :) I'd highly recommend him if you want Mudzillas or Creepy Crawlers.

Dan B)

post-136-1241611651_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd keep you all updtaed on this...

The wheels and tyres turned up over the weekend, so it would have been rude not to fit 'em...

OMG... Soooo big!!

Thanks again for your advice chaps... in the end that very nice chappy at JCS sorted us out :) I'd highly recommend him if you want Mudzillas or Creepy Crawlers.

Dan B)

Does the road slant or have you only got one side on :D

Sweet look though.

Marc.

Some additional feedback - I took a visitor for a tour round the mountains here the other day, its been chucking down with rain on and off for about a fortnight and everything is just swimming with water, streams all in flood, on top of that a cold spell meant everything over about 500 feet had a couple of inches of snow on it which was melting, not a great combination and making it about as slippery as it gets. It's the first time I've really tested the Mudzillas out and I was bluddy impressed. They will spin a bit when climbing but unlike conventional MTs which clog up and stop, with these you just keep going and I didn't have to stop and take another line even once, just straight up everywhere I went, in several places I thought "nah not a chance but I'll give it a go anyway" just keep the power on in 2nd low and up she went. I used to run BFG 33x12.50R15 and I know I would never have got up several of the places I went without a real struggle.

They ain't cheap, and they ain't that nice on the road, but when you need them... B)

post-33-1241970405_thumb.jpg

The only downside is being directional they don't grip nearly so well when you are going down a steep slush-covered hill - no prizes for guessing how I know that :ph34r: