Which Type Of Socket?

Looking at updating my tool collection now I have a Disco, any recommendations on the types of sockets to buy, hex, bi hex, splined etc and makes, looked at Halfords Pro stuff and Machine Marts Pro stuff - not sure if there ok, certainly can't afford Snap On stuff though, any ideas appreciated.

Another vote for Halfords Pro - I have given mine some hammer (literally) over the two years that I have had them and nothing has broken yet - and if it does then there is a no quibble replacement guarantee.. :rolleyes:

I can confirm that, mate was in same boat as you bought halfords pro and is very happy with them, did something silly with an 1/2 ratchet (length of pipe "crack" :blink: ) and they replaced it no quibble, they even swapped an older ratchet for a new one cos he had bought a fair bit of gear! now that's starting to get into snap-on territory :o

ive had no probs with halfords pro tools i also have a fair bit of facom tools no probs, the sealey pro range has been ok thay also replace no probs as i shattered a couple of normal sockets with a chatter gun, my fault but sealey replaced them no probs,chris.

I have halfords as well. Good kit, pretty good service as well. bent a braker bar and they changed stright away. I'd say 6 sixed standard hex will give a better grip on bolts and produce slightly more torque although others may disagree. the halfords stuff is identical to the draper pro stuff

Looking at updating my tool collection now I have a Disco, any recommendations on the types of sockets to buy, hex, bi hex, splined etc and makes, looked at Halfords Pro stuff and Machine Marts Pro stuff - not sure if there ok, certainly can't afford Snap On stuff though, any ideas appreciated.

Buy a good ratchet, Britool or somthing of that quality, what I did 20 years ago was bought impact socket set with 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive with short and deep sockets up to 24 mm. have bought some others since separately, 27 30 32 36. broke most things with them, bolts and breaker bars but not the sockets and regularly beat the carp out of them. Think I paid around £45 and they are just a chep set, out of the back of a white transit off some gadget with a dodgy accent.

halfrauds pro isnt bad. i have broken a few of the smaller spanners and rachet spanners but asides from that all is well. going to be upgrading to blue-point or snapon very soon though

have a look for the blue point catalog, there are some crazy pro mo deals. all made by snap-on but half the cost

I got a similar kit to this one **Here** a few years ago now. and have had no problems with it what so ever. I do find that the 16 point socket can strip the head of rusty bolts so I would advise getting a rail set of 6 point sockets. Of course it wont have everything you will need but these can be bought when needed so it could be a good place to start. :D :D

Halfords Pro for me aswell... I've got loads of it, have used (and abused) it a lot and not broken anything yet... I'd certainly recommend their gear.

If you get a Halfords trade card you get some pretty decent discounts aswell...

Only buy single hex sockets.The times when you will need bi-hex are very limited.

Halfords Pro, Draper Expert ,Britool,and you can get snap-on blue point sets on ebay for a very good price.

Facom makes extraordinary good ratches, they are well worth the price.

For Land Rover maintenance I have found having a 1/4" and a 1/2" set to be optimal.

For the 1/4" the stuff I use on a regular base are 6-point sockets long and short 6-13 mm, two "screw driver" handles, one with a bendable spring shaft the other a regular, two 1/4" ratches, one regular length and a stubby approx. 6 cm short one. I also have a few extensions.

For 1/2" I regular use short and long 6-point sockets from 10-21 mm, the sizes above that have been bought individually as the need arose. The long ones are rarely used, but are occasionally neccesary. The only 12 point sockets I have ever had a proper use for on a Land Rover are 13 mm and 14 mm for caliper bolts.

However a set of cheap 12 point 1/2" sockets are handy to keep around the workshop for the purpose of hammering onto rounded bolts.

For 1/2" I have two regular ratches, an uj, a set of extensions and a half meter long "breaker bar" which is the most important piece of the socket set. It allows you to apply quite a lot of force in a controlled manner, so you loosen the bolt rather than snap it.

not the best auto shop in the world or maybe that's just me :rolleyes:

Cant agree more. they seem more set up to sell huge stereos systems with dustbins for exausts for people to put on fiestas and saxos, than to help with any kind of enquiry relating to actual parts for your car. But then the modified car market alone in the uk is huge so can you blame them.....

They do seem to have sorted them selves in the tool department though. Good hunting :D