Rebel 4x4

I ordered some black 3 mm chequer plate for my defender, it was quite expensive for what it was. I tried to enquire about changing my order on the phone and by email. I could not get through on the phone and my emails were not replied too.

It took a long time for my order to arrive, over 2 weeks, and it was not what I asked for. The holes on the chequer plate were not even countersunked.

I just thought the whole thing was a bit shoddy, I am pretty new to land rovers - hope other companies are not like this.

I ordered some black 3 mm chequer plate for my defender, it was quite expensive for what it was. I tried to enquire about changing my order on the phone and by email. I could not get through on the phone and my emails were not replied too.

It took a long time for my order to arrive, over 2 weeks, and it was not what I asked for. The holes on the chequer plate were not even countersunked.

I just thought the whole thing was a bit shoddy, I am pretty new to land rovers - hope other companies are not like this.

Rebel are at the cheap end of the market, part of the reason they are cheaper is what you have found. BTW rebel 3mm black c/plate is £45, somebody like Devon4x4 is £80 for the same thing, although I would guess their's are countersunk.

Rebel are at the cheap end of the market, part of the reason they are cheaper is what you have found. BTW rebel 3mm black c/plate is £45, somebody like Devon4x4 is £80 for the same thing, although I would guess their's are countersunk.

I guess I will just have to say I have learned a lesson.

I've really only bought from Gwyn Lewis and a few ebay sellers - all have been fine. Top marks in all departments for Gwyn.

Is it worth you returning it and claiming a refund?

Too much aggro, besides I've used it now, I will try other companies like you suggest. Cheers..

I have used Rebel a couple of times now, and think that they are quite good. Never had any problems so far. All my telephone enquiries were dealt with immediatley & done so very well.

If you are new to Land Rovers, you will quickly learn which companies are great all the time, which are hit & miss, and which to avoid like the plague.

If you ever have doubts about a company or a question regarding where best to obtain a specific part from, just ask on here, you will quickly get a lot of opinions! Note, that almost all companies will have someone quibbling about the service they received; there are very, very few companies where the service is exceptional 100% of the time.

HTH

Martin

I have used Rebel a couple of times now, and think that they are quite good. Never had any problems so far. All my telephone enquiries were dealt with immediatley & done so very well.

If you are new to Land Rovers, you will quickly learn which companies are great all the time, which are hit & miss, and which to avoid like the plague.

If you ever have doubts about a company or a question regarding where best to obtain a specific part from, just ask on here, you will quickly get a lot of opinions! Note, that almost all companies will have someone quibbling about the service they received; there are very, very few companies where the service is exceptional 100% of the time.

HTH

Martin

Have to say I may be new to Land Rovers, but I do know the difference between good and poor - I have to say that first impressions last....

I have never had anything but a great service from Rebel, so I am suprised it was not such a good buying experience for yourself. Like others have said though "you gets what you pay for". Their diff guards are great value for money though, all things considered :)

Have to say I may be new to Land Rovers, but I do know the difference between good and poor - I have to say that first impressions last....

You seen to have quickly learnt a lesson that has taken me years to get. The likes of Devon4x4, QT services, Ashcroft seem expensive. Correction they are expensive. However you seriously get what you pay for, and there is nothing like the disappointment of unwrapping the latest bit of bling and realising you have just bought a shoddy piece of workmanship that breaks after 5 minutes.

Sorry, didnt mean to have that come out sounding like your an idiot and that you cant tell good from bad service!!

By "learn" I meant that you will soon build up a picture of companies that provide consistent poor/mediocre/excellent service.

As you rightly say, first impressions last. But personally, I think Rebel are pretty good, and will gladly use them again.

....But, its not like they supply anything unique, that cant be obtained from any number of other suppliers......so if you have had a poor first impression from them, give your money to someone else. If you are unsure BEFORE spending money, there will be many people on this forum who will give you an honest opinion of a product or service.

I have had issues...

1. Ordered a steering guard that was a ridiculously poor fit (even by landrover standards)- Not enough washers in Devon to fill the gaps... They eventually agreed to take it back for a refund (less the postage...) Miraculously it got 'lost in the post' and they claimed never arrived... Gave them the benefit out the doubt as it was possible but seemed a little strange, and to be fair I should have sent it recorded...

2. Ordered some rear light guards that were 'suitable for series 2, 3, 90, 110 and defenders' Started fitting them to my 90 only to find that the loop on the tail board that meets the antiluce caught on the near side guard by about 2 inches. Phoned to point this out only to be told I was fitting it wrong... not sure how it can be fitted wrong as it used the original bolts on the rear cross member and was in the 'right' position. After at least 15 phone calls with numerous poor excuses, we will get back to you (never did funnily enough), they do fit and we have customers that have done it, blahh blahh... They still refused to accept that they would not fit vehicles with a drop down tail board, I was clearly incapable of fitting them properly... and then finally when threatened with trading standards and a letter to the land rover mags begrudgingly stated that they would offer me a refund on the item- less the postage for it to get to me and then back to them despite them clearly being in the wrong...

Yes they are cheap- and there is a reason...

You seen to have quickly learnt a lesson that has taken me years to get. The likes of Devon4x4, QT services, Ashcroft seem expensive. Correction they are expensive. However you seriously get what you pay for, and there is nothing like the disappointment of unwrapping the latest bit of bling and realising you have just bought a shoddy piece of workmanship that breaks after 5 minutes.

Totally agree there, I have to earn my money, so will be careful who I choose now.

I've just had black chequer arrive with similar problems.

I called them to ask if they had them in stock for a defender and also asked if the holes were countersunk.

They had no idea and said they’d call me back ………………… nothing. So I called them and was told that they do have them in stock and that the holes were countersunk

So, I placed the order, 4 days later I called them to ask where they were only to be told that they were still with the coaters, so they didn't have them in stock then!.

They’ve now been delivered and the holes are not countersunk, just deburred.

Oh yeah, and no hole for the aerial.

I called them today, guess what, they were kind enough to tell me that I could drill the aerial hole myself and if the countersinking they have done (!!!) is not enough I can re countersink them myself – so how am I supposed to do that exactly without screwing the coating!

I wont use them again.

Juz

Not good.

You could try countersinking the holes using a drill slightly bigger than the screw head and apply some black silicon sealer/mastic under the heads of the screws. Smooth off excess with wet finger in time honoured way. Should do the trick and look ok with black screws.

Shame you have to go to all the hassle though.

H

I also had very long delivery times from Rebel, when i rang they said they were busy getting ready for a show (so was i but my bits hadn't come) and didn't know when they would get round to sending my goods out and that i could cancel my order and order elsewhere if i liked (no joke). I was shocked but unfortunately they are so cheap i decided to wait.

I deal with them semi regularly buying stuff for resale and the quality/price of some of the stuff is good (spotlights, A bars for example) - the chequer plate is a bit iffy but you gets what you pays for which is why I have genuine wing top protectors on my 110.

• 1 month later...

Ive been waiting 2 weeks for my steering guard and rear door cheq plate still not arrived. I phoned last friday and was told that theyd ring me back with an answer - nothing. I phoned again tuesday and the girl told me there was a problem with my billing address and my card wouldnt work, i gave them my details again (the same details as in the first place!) and funny old thing it worked straight away. She told me the kit would be sent on an overnight courier service and arrive yesterday - nothing arrived. If its not here by tommorow im cancelling and regardless will be giving a wide berth in the future.