Engineers Report

simonr

I've been asked to write an engineers report for an insurance company - since I have the appropriate professional qualification.

This is for someone with a modified 90 - which has quite a lot of X-Eng in it - hence asking me!

However, I have no idea what it needs to contain! The insurance company thinks that since I'm an Engineer - I will automatically know! I don't remember that ever being mentioned on my course though.

I dare say I'll have to produce something for my Electric Freelander too (which moved for the first time last night!)

Any ideas on headings, sections, content, format - that kind of thing would be brilliant!

Si

I would imagine that if it is for an insurance company, that they want to know that all

the bits boltet on are up to spec and will in no way affect the vehicle adversely.

They probably would like some details of relavant testing or a CofC signed by your goodself.

Edited by geoffbeaumont
Edited to remove joke which was in extremely poor taste

I recently provided the DVLA with an engineers report. They seemed quite happy with it.

It went something like this:

My Address,

21st June 2009

Ref: VEHICLE REG NUMBER

To whom it may concern,

The vehicle with the above registration mark has been fitted with blah blah blah...

The work has been carried out using/by/whom etc and has been finished to a roadworthy standard.

If there are any questions relating to the above vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully,

Name BEng (Hons.) MEng (Hons.) PhD EOoW IEEE IMarEST IMechE etc...

Company name, Position.

Of course, laid out correctly. As you have the XEng thing too...might be worth putting it on headed paper.

It seems that as we are engineers, we are above suspicion, and our word is gospel.

Thanks for your help.

I understood what the report was for - just wanted to know if there was a preferred format. But I think James has hit the nail on the head!

Cheers,

SI

Hmmmm,

Interesting: that as I have Engineer in my job title, and letters after my name, I could do the same? Engineer covers so many things these days, including those who fix washing machines to those who write computer programmes (and those lucky few who get to play with proper engineering all day :) )

Iain Ellis MPWI Principal Permanent Way Engineer, Mott MacDonald

I had one for my LPG conversion.

Basically the guy just said at the time of inspection it was mounted correctly and all joints & fixings were secure.

He added the phrase "without prejudice" to escape any liablility if it went bang. I don't know if this would have any bearing in law though.

Hmmmm,

Interesting: that as I have Engineer in my job title, and letters after my name, I could do the same? Engineer covers so many things these days, including those who fix washing machines to those who write computer programmes (and those lucky few who get to play with proper engineering all day :) )

Common as muck these Motts Engineers.......... :ph34r::ph34r:

I've been asked to write an engineers report for an insurance company - since I have the appropriate professional qualification.

Just out of interest - what is the 'appropriate qualification? - could someone with a civil engineering degree provide one, for example???

I dare say I'll have to produce something for my Electric Freelander too (which moved for the first time last night!)

I dare say you won't. I don't think anyone would accept a report by the same engineer who had an interest in the vehicle working. I know NFU won't for a start.

Al.

Hmmmm,

Oh my God a P-Way spanner ---ker :rolleyes: The bane of my life--- Operations Manager Network Rail :P

Keith

Oh my God a P-Way spanner ---ker :rolleyes: The bane of my life--- Operations Manager Network Rail :P

Keith

Hell hath no fury like a consultant with access to Connect ... bl**dy thromboses ... :P

Common as muck these Motts Engineers..........

So where are you then?

Keith

grrrrrrr

im a signaller bluddy om's and p-way the lot off you just go away and let me watch my ..................................

Si,

Be careful. If you sign it off as safe and up to or exceeding OE spec (think asymmetric brake calipers) and then the vehicle has an accident, they'll come knocking and you'll be thinking about retrospective professional liability insurance. If you do put anything in writing, be sure to specify exactly the parts that you're certifying and detail their fitment, orientation and fitness for a particular function - this covers you against 'user error' eg horrid side snatch loadings to a perfectly adequate static recovery point.

In terms of format, I'd specify the vehicle reg no, chassis number and body type and then detail the modifications by description and with photographs, talk about the likely loadings and then describe your opinion of the suitability of the design, with a little bit of maths in an appendix to show that the design of a modified part is suitable for a representative load case. Then move on to the next modified component, and conclude with a summary of the mods and a caveat that all your calcs are +/- 100% and that you don't accept any responsibility for material error, failure or injury thereafter.

Me, I wouldn't touch it for someone I didn't know, sorry.

Cheers

John MEng(Hons) etc

I worked for a Garage where we did engineers reports on modified/high performance vehicles for insurance companies. We stopped doing them as it became obvious the people reading them had no understanding of what was written, and the potential liability issues outweighed the small profit.

All the reports were a "Visual inspection only".

The vehicle.

The modifications.

The standard of general workmanship.

Probably the most important, but most contentious issue is the suitability of parts or modifications, it's this that will always be open to interpretation and requires a degree of knowledge from the reports reader.

I would have thought that most insurance companies would only accept reports from IAEA (Institute of automotive engineer assessors) members. IMO, anything else is not worth the paper it's written on, no matter how qualified you are.

Pat, MIMI.

Is there any indication of what the insurance company want the report for?

I ask because it is likely all they need to know is what mods have been done or parts fitted so that they can asses their liability in respect to a claim for loss or damage. It may be that they are not interested in the stress analysis side of things.

A report of all the parts/mods that deviate from a standard vehicle plus a generalised report on the standard of workmanship may be all they require.

Steve

For liability could you not treat it like an MOT?, ie state it was fine in your opinion on the day of inspection.

I presume if this kind of thing was required more often or was requiring great detail, or a higher level of authority, then we'd all be only buying parts from companies that provided a report with each part they sold?

Ah! That's not email - that's ICQ or whatever.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Not that I ever use it.....

You have company email, but the Dobbie the Outlook Elf says you won't get it for a bit ... :)

Small world, innit ...