200TDI well down on power

As above really it wont pull up a hill in second the turbo is boosting and holds boost well.

pump has not been tweaked but when i took cover off there was oil all above the diafram, intercooler pipes have all been replace intercooler flushed. no play in turbo and very little oil. injector cleaner been flushed through. the timing is spot on so i am stumped so thought i wood leave it to u guys. its a defender 200 with 110k on the clock. it does puff cloud of black smoke on start up.

any help would be fab

Matt

As above really it wont pull up a hill in second the turbo is boosting and holds boost well.

pump has not been tweaked but when i took cover off there was oil all above the diafram, intercooler pipes have all been replace intercooler flushed. no play in turbo and very little oil. injector cleaner been flushed through. the timing is spot on so i am stumped so thought i wood leave it to u guys. its a defender 200 with 110k on the clock. it does puff cloud of black smoke on start up.

any help would be fab

Matt

Whats the state of the lift pump? Often go and cheap to replace adn could easily be your culprit. Does it go ok on the flat (top end?)? Any excess oil in the air filter?

Whats the state of the lift pump? Often go and cheap to replace adn could easily be your culprit. Does it go ok on the flat (top end?)? Any excess oil in the air filter?

Lift pump 'appears' to be fine, when we removed the pipe from the fuel filter, it sprayed diesel EVERYWHERE, so we assumed the lift pump was ok.

There was a fair bit of oil in the air filter (before it was changed), probably about an egg cup full. But the air filter was changed on Thursday night (as was the cyclone breather), driven about 30 miles and checked - no oil yet in the air filter but still no power.

Juz

Lift pump 'appears' to be fine, when we removed the pipe from the fuel filter, it sprayed diesel EVERYWHERE, so we assumed the lift pump was ok.

There was a fair bit of oil in the air filter (before it was changed), probably about an egg cup full. But the air filter was changed on Thursday night (as was the cyclone breather), driven about 30 miles and checked - no oil yet in the air filter but still no power.

Juz

Have you checked/changed your fuel filter? It may have a drain on the bottom, most of them do, try undoing it and seeing whether you get fuel, water, dirt or all 3.

HTH.

Mark.

Have you checked/changed your fuel filter? It may have a drain on the bottom, most of them do, try undoing it and seeing whether you get fuel, water, dirt or all 3.

HTH.

Mark.

Fuel filter changed end May. Did a drain recently and got some water out but no dirt.

Juz

Fuel filter changed end May. Did a drain recently and got some water out but no dirt.

Juz

Have a look in the tank for any dirt/debris on the pick up pipe filter. It sounds like there is a fuel problem to me although I stand to be corrected. Wouldn't have thought it's injectors as they normally cause smoke if there's a problem with them. Unless they're blocked of course.

I fear you've checked all the obvious, so now you're down to the obscure. Many years ago I had a problem with a BMW, like this it was classic fuel starvation but only when asked to so some real work and as with you everything sensible checked out. You could even blow back down the pipe from the engine and hear bubbling in the tank, and this caused a temporary improvement . Eventually ran a second temporary pipe which proved nevertheless the problem was in the original pipe,but could see no leak in it to let in air so started taking things apart with a vengeance, and eventually found a large moth stuck in a banjo bolt; it couldn't make the turn but must have let a certain amount past. Couldn't think how it had got there.

I would guess you'd be unlucky to block all the injectors at once, so it's maybe something along these lines.

Nigel

My old TD used to pressurise the fuel tank. This in effect stopped return to the tank and backed up as a blockage further back i.e. supply rather than return. It then ran out of power if revved highly - like on the motorways. The engine would gradually die and you'd have to change down the gears to keep it going until it conked out completely. Just a thought... perhaps worth checking the fuel cap breather and breather pipe aren't blocked. Is there a large gush of air after runniong if you remove the filler cap?

One more thing on the lift pump - my old one i replaced appeared to be pumping diesel, but the new one made a hell of a difference - perhaps the diaphragms become stiff and less efficient. Also, is the arm on the pump ok as they do snap where they run on a cam follower adn hence dont work off the engine, but the priming handle may still make it appear that it is working.

i think if the engine was THAT tired it would be showing more signs of it.

You have a fuel problem.

Check the vacuum line that runs from the turbo to the injector pump is in good condition and hasnt become blocked or flattened etc.

You say it sprayed fuel everywhere when you removed the pipe, what do you mean by this? If the engine was off, i wouldnt expect fuel to spray anywhere... The diesel lines to the pump arent under a particularly high pressure...

Might be an idea to replace the lift pump anyway, or at the very least, swap in a known good one.

You say it sprayed fuel everywhere when you removed the pipe, what do you mean by this? If the engine was off, i wouldnt expect fuel to spray anywhere

Removed the pipe and cranked the engine on the key, the idea being to check the lift pump.

Juz

hi

i would second changing the lift pump as there may be a small hole in the diaphram inside the unit so when it has to push the fuel into the injection pump it cant and leaks internally but when you remove the pipe there is no resistance so gives the impression it is in good order.

i would be slightly concerned depending on the amount of oil above the diaphram as if there is a lot it would prevent it moving and therefore the engine would not add extra fuel as the turbo boosts.

do you get any smoke or does it just run out of power?

matt

hi

As aragon said check the condition of the pipe from the turbo to the fuel pump, after that change the lift pump hopefully one of those should cure the problem.

If not then a change of fuel filter just in case a bit of dirty fuel has gone through it's a cheap option and worth a try, another thing have you re fuelled since the problem started preferably at a different garage incase youve got some bad diesel unlikely but just possible.

Just a thought have you checked the condition of the air filter i would have though it would black smoke and not boost properly but may be worth a quick look.

matt

any help would be fab

Matt

Oil on the diaphram is not a good sign as it must be breathing somewhere

I'd investigate this first.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

So we have now replaced every hose on the air side (bloody expensive they all were too!) - so think the air supply is ok.

The turbo seems to be fine too.

Onto the fuel side - new tank, new filter, new lift pump.

Problem remains, I guess my next thing to check is compression...............

Juz

• 2 months later...