HW Rd 5 - West Harptree

JST

Results are now posted

HERE

Slight correction to the prizegiving order I'm afraid. Peter Jackson's key was returned late after he had retired and rather than hold up the prizegiving we went ahead with the results without his figures. Turns out that Peter had a cracking day and ended up 2nd in class 2. This means that Dan Elias and Paul Church were 3rd not 2nd and the Treelads were 4th not 3rd. A trophy swapping party will be in order at the next event. Apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment, but as always we are keen to get you on the road to home without too much delay.

Well done to all who took part, the punch count was excellent as the ground dries out very rapidly at West Harptree and many of the punches on the top level became much more driveable.

Particularly well done to Bob Smith & Ian Mousdale for their 4th overall, shame my camera doesn't start up more quickly as I would have loved to have captured the look on Bob's face on a certain descent!!

Roll on (bad choice of phrase) Llanfyllin!!

i dont mean to be a sore loser but if they handed theyre key in late shouldent they have lost theyre points? how late were they?

apart from that a great day all round, we werent looking forward to it looking round on saturday but really enjoyed it on the day with a high punch score and no breakages untill 2.45 wen the winch battery went flat. maybe that cost us the 2 punches we needed. see you all in llanyllllannnfilllanlly.

i dont mean to be a sore loser but if they handed theyre key in late shouldent they have lost theyre points? how late were they?

apart from that a great day all round, we werent looking forward to it looking round on saturday but really enjoyed it on the day with a high punch score and no breakages untill 2.45 wen the winch battery went flat. maybe that cost us the 2 punches we needed. see you all in llanyllllannnfilllanlly.

If you like to check the results you will see that we did lose points 250 of them

If you like to check the results you will see that we did lose points 250 of them

o.k fair enough then :( look out tho because we are taking a trophy home next time. and keeping it :wub: i suppose the mrs can have her side of the bed back now :hysterical:

A cracking day out off roading. I thought we did better that we did but never mind. 5th in class will have to do

Our man Matt snapped a load of pictures which Tim has put on our site.

http://www.devon4x4.com/gallery/211/howlin-wolf-round-5.html

Thanks to Neil and the team for a super well organised day and for giving us a great time cleaning the stinky *%$£ of the chassis (no, really. It was *%$£)

1249303676-Howlin_Wolf_West_Harptree_2009_024.jpg

:lol:

Just found 2 knackered injectors on the motor, one not spraying and one electrically dead,

Not an excuse just a reason for the total lack of power................and punches............

Sounded like a canal barge......

Just found 2 knackered injectors on the motor, one not spraying and one electrically dead,

Not an excuse just a reason for the total lack of power................and punches............

Sounded like a canal barge......

Come on we know the real answer as tracey said when she put the bacon on you came back 4 times.

I think we went wrong when we went into THE VALLEY right at the start. Reminded me why you dont go to the post office on pension day. 4 hours and 5 punches later we lost the will to live and came out. The only worst experience was south mimms on the way down. That reminded me why i moved to the country. The post office ref is about the q by the way not adrians age or the aroma. It did give us the chance to witness some nice driving by young kevin after i had read all the literature neil had provided in the waiting room.

Well for the first event as a Navigator and the first for the truck for at least a year it was enjoyable, if not to plan. I do believe that as most people have already said that the punches where laid out very well and I believe that the standard required now to what I remember it to be a year or so ago has gone up, but this is all good for the sport in pushing the boundaries for the drivers, navigators and the vehicles.

But as I was saying our day didn't start to well and due to that I have a lot of thanking to do. To start with we arrived at punch 12 and half way up the bank found on trying to re-positioning the truck that the winch wouldn't release, therefore to get out of everybody’s way Nobby came and pulled us out (Thanks for that Nobby). After spending some 2 hours in the pits and trying to work out what was wrong and a new winch motor courtesy of James (in the Rogue Vogue) we where back out. Then I think we made the wrong decision after a few punches to try the gulley where the winch packed up again half way out/up the gulley. The Davids came to give us a pull, but it was all to much for the Zuk and Andy as they decided to have a lie down and have a break in the gulley. Therefore before calling it a day (a bad day), the Davids and one half of the Wolverhampton team (sorry can remember your names) came and pulled us out of the gulley to clear the section.

Believe it or not I did enjoy the day and I hope to be back out in Rd 6, in the rolling hills of Wales.

So thanks to everybody that helped us out, and the marshals for there work, see you all at Rd6,

Taff.

Can anyone explain classes 1,2 & 3 please

Looked all-over and not found any info, just in case I get a vehicle ready for next year maybe? :rolleyes:

class 3 standard with 1 winch no aftermarket lockers

class 2 multi winch with lockers no portals or full hydrosteer

Class 1 unlimited mods

Generaly this is it

Carl.

So If i have Front and Rear winches And No Lockers That wouldnt let me go into Class 2 Would it? Id have to go in Class 3 And not use the rear winch Wouldnt i?

Jay

you could go in class 2 with front and rear winches, but you would be at a disadvantage to others in your class!

class 3 standard with 1 winch no aftermarket lockers

class 2 multi winch with lockers no portals or full hydrosteer

Class 1 unlimited mods

Generaly this is it

Carl.

There is no problem with portals in Class 2 as long as you dont have full hydro steering, use standard steering and your ok!

Maybe some another class should be in place for road legal vehicles/taxed and Mot'd?

the cross section in Class 2 is vast from purpose built buggies to 90's retaining bodywork

and no trayback.(not just me take a look at the pics)