what are the best brakes?

Thanks for the replies. Well I mean am I going to gain anything from getting uprated gear such as drilled n grooved discs? The standard discs and pads I use seem to be ok although they do get very hot at times, I just want to know if I'm going to notice any big difference by spending a few extra £'s on some uprated discs and/or pads? I've got to change my discs soon anyway so I thought i'd do a little research before I spend my money. Thanks for the help

Drilled or grooved discs will only have a noticeable effect with repeated heavy braking (to prevent brake fade). Vented discs are more than enough for most uses. Brake pads are a different thing entirely - cheap ones may give poor bite, damned annoying squealing when only partly worn, and are generally regarded as economy braking. Pads such as Ferodo, Mintex, Lockheed, etc, are plenty good enough. Changing brake fluid every 18-months or so is something that most people never do, but does make a big difference (up to DOT4 absorbes water/air, and can give greatly reduced braking).

Service what you have before spending money unnecessarily.

Les.

Second what Les has said vented/grooved on something you intend to offroad is a complete

waste of ££ they clog with mud and wear the pads even faster.

I Repalced all the pads on my 90 on Tuesday and the fluid.

Pads last less than 2K after offroading.

I you want far better brakes then bespoke Calipers with more pistons/pad surface area

would be an option.

arent the front calipers off a 110 bigger than standard 90 jobbies - or are they just wider bodied to cope with the additional thickness of the 110 vented disks?

but if they are bigger - ie pads have more surface area - might be worth putting 110 front brakes on.

Nick. IIRC there are only two sizes of calliper for the Defender fronts on that age. No doubt I will be corrected on that :P

There are two size pads for the front one for the two piston and one for the four piston. Then they go to one for the non vented and one for the vented for the calliper. If you understand me.

All I can add is Les and White90 are correct. Especially where the change of fluid is concerned.

mike

vented and grooved disks are imo in very different categories.

Vented disks are like two disks spaced apart, with fan shaped fins mounted between the two parts. This is designed to draw air thru the centre of the brake disk, and improve cooling. They're fitted to most cars these days bar the very smallest, crappest hatchbacks.

Grooved or drilled disks are imo just a load of chavvy carp, with questionable benefits, and are rarely worth the huge premium over some nice good quality OE disks.

I would advocate fitting Vented disks if you find that the driving you (or your driving style) do causes the solid disks to overheat.

Pads are THE most important component. A set of good pads will make a big difference to the braking performance without doing anything else, they wont stop the system overheating, but they will continue working effectively to higher temperatures than cheap crappy items.

Consider though, that if the standard setup can lock the wheels, the brakes are already more powerful than the tyres, and any upgrade will only be improving feel and their thermal capacity.

If the brakes cannot lock the wheels, then they need upgraded, or at the very least serviced.

Well, I am fitting a Vanco hydroboost system to my 110 (converting to rear disc in the process) to bring brake system peak pressure from 700-900psi (guess) to around 1500psi (also doing vented in the process... don't know if you've ever faded a brake system so it will go pedal to the floor but it is terrifying).

That said the stock brakes on a 110 are pretty good, far better than those on my D2 which really does need the hydroboost... just not putting cash into that one until the 110 is done and paid for :)

That said the stock brakes on a 110 are pretty good, far better than those on my D2 which really does need the hydroboost...

eh?

i think there is something wrong with your disco then!

in our D2, with only a moderate stamp on the pedal has the ABS going like crazy and force you to bite the dashboard or headbutt the steering wheel!!!

all standard genuine pads and disks, changed about 15k miles ago. Awesome brakes.

The gooved and drilled discs do work but they are designed for racing really rather than road, they stop pads glazing by 'scraping' them a bit, and consequently eat pads, but thats not an issue in race situations, they are possibly made redundant by fitting sintered pads, all bikes have them as standard although that might be bling as well :lol:

Mike

edit: as above do you need that hydro boost thing, never ever had a problem braking my 110 even heavily loaded + trailer

I echo what Mike said - stock brakes should plant your face onto the dashboard without too much hassle, when the RR was launched it stopped better than a sports car. Even Series drum brakes, when properly adjusted, should be able to lock all four up.

If your car(s) aren't stopping, perhaps there's some other problem like knackered servo, lack of vacuum, rubbish pads (eg Britpart) or such like.