[OT] I love my job

I know this is OT, but there are a lot of engineery types on here who might like to see what I've been up to.

As some of you know, I got pretty bored with a 'normal' life, so I've joined the merchant shipping fleet as an engineer. I'm still in training (and will be for a good while yet), but I've now been let loose on a ship.

So to start with, we have 3 of these on board:

DSCF2582.jpg

Wartsila gen sets, 650kW each. 4 cyl, running on either Marine Diesel Oil or Heavy Fuel Oil (horrible nasty gunky stuff, about the viscosity of lube oil at room temp).

DSCF2583.jpg

Main Engines. Massive great things, although quite small as ship engines go. Turbo charged, DI, 4 cyl, 4 stroke, inline 8. Entirely mechanically run, but monitored very closely electronically. Total power is around the 10MW mark and 96.4l per cylinder...and two engines :D

DSCF2584.jpg

A Big big end...

DSCF2585.jpg

And there are two of these beasts. It's a bit hard to see as I couldn't back up enough to get them both in.

Anyone want a power upgrade? Try one of these turbos....

DSCF2586.jpg

DSCF2587.jpg

Gearbox. The engines run at 500rpm, and the props are controllable pitch at around 150rpm. The gearbox also has PTO for the propeller hydraulics and yet more alternators. There are rated at a little over 1MW, and supply power to the ship when at sea, and power to the pair of 800kW bowthrusters when manouvering.

DSCF2588.jpg

DSCF2589.jpg

Now that's a propshaft! They have actually been known to shear upon grounding...

Pumps to keep everything cool...

DSCF2590.jpg

DSCF2591.jpg

And the heat exchangers. In practice, only 1 pump and 1 exchanger are used on this route. The sea is freezing and we have redundancy. We also have coolers for the lube oil noticeable further up between the two engines.

I hope someone finds this interesting. I certainly do. It's not the most glamorous ship or location (Ro-ro ferry back and forth across the Irish sea), but I'll move on to something bigger and better when I've qualified - probably cruise ships....

which irish ro-ro?? we are travelling dublin holyhead on fri am look out for a white 110 on 91 dl plates with 3 in the front!!

I'm afraid I'm Heysham to Warrenpoint.

Very impressive, just don't go fiddling with bits & best wishes for the new job.

Moi? Fiddle with stuff? Never! :rolleyes: (I actually nearly blacked out the ship yesterday, but we don't mention that to the chief....)

Good stuff James. That's where I started, did transatlantic RoRo's for a while until they sent them down to help BM and his mates in the Falklands.

Changing large components when there's a swell on can be challenging. Sat on a carrier full of aviation gas drifting of SA with a pump room on fire was another of the highlights sent to keep us engineers amused.

You'll learn a lot, though I guess now you have to do it all sober.

that makes our engine room look dinky :lol:

we have 5 big cat's with gennys, but nothing like the size you guys use....

we had a blackout one night whilst being towed, due to a simple mistake the motorman made (forgot to open a valve which changed from sea water cooling (which is used when stationary) to tank water cooling (which is used whilst moving))..... burst a 12" line, water everywhere, welders running around overheating emergency generators welding up new pipework ... all fun ! the motorman left the rig pretty soon afterwards :lol:

G

Zim,

Your work abode isn't currently parked in Dundee is it?.... ;)

thankfully not.... but we've had a few agency hands come on board, who've previously worked on rigs which have since been stacked.... not good :(

G