Rover Axle strength

gibbon

I'm just after some clarification of the strength of rover axles. My intended purpose is to hang them under my 3.9 v8 hybrid with 38.5 x 11.5 x R16 boggers on the corners.

So here's some questions:

10 spline or 24 spline in standard rover trim? which one is strongest in the diff / halfshaft / casing?

Whats the difference with salisbury axles? stronger casing? larger diff and halfshafts?

Also how strong are 101 axles?

Portal would be an option but Mog axles are far too heavy and Volvo C303's are like rocking horse poo to find!

TLC/ Patrol GQ axles I've also considered, but again they are also a bit like rocking horse poo to find!

I would also install diff lockers along the line in both axles, so any advice would be welcome!

Strongest setup what you can build from LR parts is Salisbury axle with difflockers and heavy duty halfshafts...

salisbury have strongest( but bigest) casing.Also Ring and pinion are much bigger.

As you want to fit diff lockers don;t bother how strong are standard diffs. ARB diff is OK.

Standard halfshafts in Salisbury are quite strong( my opinion) but there is also option of heavy duty version( ashcroft - rear only).

Friend of mine is now building bobtailed Defender110 with both coil salisbury axles with ARB difflockers. He is leaving there standard halfshafts( as i said, they looks quite strong).

With 38" Boggers just forget LR axles and either go for some of Mr Ashcrofts new 9" stuff or go Spidertrax etc, you are only throwing good money after bad with LR stuff on this size tyre! Even 101 axles, by the time you finished you could have bought custom stuff.

These fancy axles have not been developed for nothing! they were needed!!

Buy wise, Buy once!!

Lara

As Lara said, forget Rovers, it's pushing the laws of physics. 101 axles are stronger but the kerfuffle that comes with them (weird parts, drum brakes, 6-stud hubs, welded-on swivels) is as much effort to overcome as fitting Mogs or Volvos, both of which I'd suggest are at least as attractive as splashing a load of cash on shiny custom axles.

38" boggers will as other have said be far to much for diffs / lockers / half shafts whoever makes them,

a step too far, then as others have said you have the gearing problems, I would add also gearbox / transfer box issues, and

is you engine going to have enough power to drive that load even if / when ratios corrected, more likely you'll

have a truck that behaves like an asthmatic mouse carrying a piano up a hill

It 'aint that simple - period, and to fix will be £££S and HOOOOOUUUURRRRRS of work (or more £££££s if done by someone else)

Nige

Been there done it with -

1st thing what do you want to spend ????

RR axles everthing broke with 38s

101 Axles never broke a thing even with 42s & 300hp .Had ARbs & disc conversion but never got over pinion angle problem & ground clearance is carp even when clearanced diff:(

Mog axles Yes heavy .Had air rams to work lockers which sorted all locker issues. Only broke 1 Hub with 44s but that was due to a loose hub casing.

"

303 with 38 x 11s seem from other peoples experience to be best option if you stick to that size plus you gain 6" of ground clearance :D

Ashcroft HI-9 seems very good as a bolt on option if you ned to pay for someone to mods to other axles this may be financialy acceptable. If you do fabbing yourseld then 303 would be far cheaper.

Ultimate D & G Tuning Spidertrax with Custom Portals but whats your budget??

Ok, seems like salisbury and 101's are completely out then, as is anything rover!

Anyone know how much a set of ashcroft's hi-9's with lockers would cost me? :blink: But guessing the cost then I'd rather look at the C303 route so i've emailled fmv4x4.com to check prices/shipping/availability/deals with them!

Budget wise, I had set myself a 'modest' :unsure: sum of the price as a gigglepin winch and plasma rope = about £3850 as in built with lockers and front winch! :lol: its going to be a challenge!

Before I considered my build budget I looked at what I wanted to achieve from the vehicle and came to the following conclusion:

"To build an offroader for use on play days and greenlaning as well as private land I have access to ;) , with a view to using it on selected challenge events like the 3 peaks, tay/pheonix, ladoga.... :unsure: "

My build is therefore looking like a discovery 3.9 v8 base, tubular front and rear chassis, tube front and rear, full cage, fox air shocks on shock hoops, megasquirted, extended radius and trailling arms, 4 link rear, 3 link front, running the boggers and preferably portalled with hydrosteer and hydraulic winch!! The budget may be stretched a little thin then! :lol: but I do have access to full workshop facilities have my own 2 post ilft and full workshop, and lots of dark hours in the winter to fill! :D

Fridge = do you know of any C303 axle for sale, also what are the options on disk brake conversions? is it just portaltech or are there others? ;)

Ok, seems like salisbury and 101's are completely out then, as is anything rover!

Anyone know how much a set of ashcroft's hi-9's with lockers would cost me? :blink: But guessing the cost then I'd rather look at the C303 route so i've emailled fmv4x4.com to check prices/shipping/availability/deals with them!

Budget wise, I had set myself a 'modest' :unsure: sum of the price as a gigglepin winch and plasma rope = about £3850 as in built with lockers and front winch! :lol: its going to be a challenge!

Before I considered my build budget I looked at what I wanted to achieve from the vehicle and came to the following conclusion:

"To build an offroader for use on play days and greenlaning as well as private land I have access to ;) , with a view to using it on selected challenge events like the 3 peaks, tay/pheonix, ladoga.... :unsure: "

My build is therefore looking like a discovery 3.9 v8 base, tubular front and rear chassis, tube front and rear, full cage, fox air shocks on shock hoops, megasquirted, extended radius and trailling arms, 4 link rear, 3 link front, running the boggers and preferably portalled with hydrosteer and hydraulic winch!! The budget may be stretched a little thin then! :lol: but I do have access to full workshop facilities have my own 2 post ilft and full workshop, and lots of dark hours in the winter to fill! :D

Fridge = do you know of any C303 axle for sale, also what are the options on disk brake conversions? is it just portaltech or are there others? ;)

DiD you post £3850 or £38050 ?????? :D

• 6 months later...

...and although the Mog may look a bit under-engineered, you have the ~2:1 hub reduction effectively doubling the strength / halving the torque loading. :P

I had settled on the Toyota FJ80 axles with eggshells under my right foot, but have just found some Volvo C303's so that what the toy is getting! :rolleyes:

Its changed a bit as well, things have a tendency to evolve round here........