Cheap and Easy Sound Proofing?

minivin

Well, I know a Series is meant to be noisy, but I do have my limits and perfect hearing that I wish to try to retain :P

Rather than ear plugs, coz I hate them and the tendency to run out of them when you least expect it, I've been thinking of fitting some noise absorption blankets or material to the bulkhead et cetera to quieten the experience.

Any hints on what to get, what's best, what to avoid???

camping mat

I'll second that, its reduced the noise in mine brilliantly.

Also I recommend using Copydex to stick it up with, its the only thing I've found that copes with the temperature range.

Glue

Any hints on what to get, what's best, what to avoid???

Oh dear! A jump to coiler side is coming?

Get: A Range Rover :D

Avoid: FC101

Whats Best?: Anything that is hose downable, avoid carpets etc for the obvious internal frost and smells.

I found old National Coal Board conveyor belting to be fantastic but it is rather heavy.

What about the kits in the mags?

I'll second that, its reduced the noise in mine brilliantly.

Also I recommend using Copydex to stick it up with, its the only thing I've found that copes with the temperature range.

Glue

No More Nails no good then ;) tempted to give it a go just under the footwells for the moment and see how that works, easy to get at for a start, will also stop the rocks and stones hitting the underside there :)

Oh dear! A jump to coiler side is coming?

Get: A Range Rover :D

Avoid: FC101

Whats Best?: Anything that is hose downable, avoid carpets etc for the obvious internal frost and smells.

I found old National Coal Board conveyor belting to be fantastic but it is rather heavy.

What about the kits in the mags?

nahhhhhh, even though my neighbour has offered a 90CSW I will resist :D

Was trying to keep away from the magazine companies and see what alternatives come up, with the LT77 conversion coming a lot of the mag' stuff will probably not fit properly once I've done the conversion

I would have a chat with Big 'Bathtub' Pete - about using expanded foam. He's an expert in sound-proofing (his head at least ;) ) with the stuff!

Si

That's an interesting one, I've heard of it being put in chassis to keep the water out, but then the flipsode that people think it may trap water...... how messy is it? :)

tempted to give it a go just under the footwells for the moment and see how that works, easy to get at for a start, will also stop the rocks and stones hitting the underside there :)

rob, u plannin on stickin it underneath/outside the vehicle?

I came accross this firms products the other day.

If it's for flat area coverage then this rubber might just be the ticket. :unsure:

Here's the web address but it really doesn't show the products very well.

http://www.allrubber.co.uk/index.asp

Probably best to phone up. They have all sorts of patterns and gauges.

I can't remember what the price was of the example that I came accross but do remember thinking it wasn't a bad price. Having said that, this place is just down the road from me so I would just pick up direct. The rubber is quite heavy so might make it too expensive by the time it's delivered. :rolleyes:

Kindest Regards, gary :)

I just remembered that Lara from this forum used a liquid from NoiseKiller, (I think).............

Seem to remember him saying on one of the forums that he was really impressed with the results and it's wasn't too expensive :rolleyes:

might be worth dropping him a PM to find out more details.

Good Luck with your noise reduction quest :)

g :)

I just remembered that Lara from this forum used a liquid from NoiseKiller, (I think).............

Seem to remember him saying on one of the forums that he was really impressed with the results and it's wasn't too expensive :rolleyes:

might be worth dropping him a PM to find out more details.

Good Luck with your noise reduction quest :)

g :)

I used noisekiller liquid on my 110.

Painted the roof inside, rear floor and wheel boxes, second row floor and front door insides, 2 coats all round using 4 litres. A messy job needs to be done in a warm environment for best results.

It dries a light grey colour.

I have no panel drumming and no roof condensation what so ever.

I am very pleased with the effect.

John

go to your local 'chavvy car stereo' shop, they sell all sorts of soundproofing products, noisekiller aerosols, self adhesive sound deadening matting is good, the best is a product called dynamat.... what all the pro car hifi boys use...

go to your local 'chavvy car stereo' shop, they sell all sorts of soundproofing products, noisekiller aerosols, self adhesive sound deadening matting is good, the best is a product called dynamat.... what all the pro car hifi boys use...

Ah, but is it impregnated with blue neons and fibre-optics???? :D

Halfrauds?

Wright offroad do ready made, custom moulded matting to fit your floors/trans tunnel etc.

Just live with it in my opinion. Much easier to hose out that way......

Jon

Think I'll have to try someone elses 109 and see how noisy it is, might ask Andy at work here if i can borrow his civilianised ex-MoD FFR (not Army, but MoD) that's still got the 2.25 petrol 24V lump in it and the same tyres as mine, would give a good comparison