AWDC/Challenger 4x4 Round 6 and Series Aftermath

Orange

Well, Round 6 provided our best event of the series! Wonderful little site at Coney Green which is quite deceiving. Started the day dreading all of the long slopes and work-out that the winches were going to get, but ended the day being completely baffled by how much we managed to drive! Plenty of Solihul Slide action saw many a punch gobbled up without the use of either winch.

There were some nasty little punches on quite tippy side slopes that you don't quite realise until you are half-way into them!!

Dead chuffed to finish 4th in class and with our overall series position.

Only damage for the day was a a wing mirror, a rear indicator lens and a snapped rear winch rope, so not bad really on a site with plenty of trees to 'park' against!

Many thanks to Paul and Lucy at Challenger for setting the whole series up. The AWDC for their support and 'supervision' and all the marshalls and back-stage crew that made the whole series possible.

Adrian and Mark (team 4)

Bring on the pictures and next years events...

Here are the results of yesterday's event. Thank you to everyone who has competed in the series and to everyone who has helped behind the scenes or on the day. Without any of you these events would not have been possible. A BIG thank you needs to go out to Lucy and Paul Bass for all thier hard work that has gone into organising the events before hand, setting them up the day before and being there at the compertition. Also to the children for being so understanding and letting their Mum and Dad dispear for 6 whole weekends!!!

If you have any photos please upload them, as we would like photos to show at the Bonfire/Fireworks party happening this Saturday. For more information see http://www.challenger4x4theclub.co.uk/

Hope to see you all again next year for the 2nd series of the Clubman's Event.

Class 1

1st – Keith Rayment & Steve Grant; Punch Score: 3900, Special Stage: 460, Total Score = 4360

2nd – Peter Roberts & Ben Burge; Punch Score: 3040, Special Stage: 440, Total Score = 3480

3rd – Nick Shurrock & Matt Gomme; Punch Score: 2960, Special Stage: 350, Total Score = 3310

4th – Adrian Catchpole & Mark Catchpole; Punch Score: 2720, Special Stage: 400, Total Score = 3120

5th – Steve Beck & Adrian Dayley; Punch Score: 2400, Special Stage: 480, Total Score = 2880

6th – Nick Anderson & Nev Hudd; Punch Score: 2160, Special Stage: 400, Total Score = 2560

7th – Daniel Thompson & James Taylor; Punch Score: 2160, Special Stage: 390, Total Score = 2550

8th – Zoltan Guzi & Lee Marchant; Punch Score: 2100, Special Stage: 330, Total Score = 2430

9th – Ian Cocks & Richard Bunce; Punch Score: 1400, Special Stage: 490, Total Score = 1890

10th – Chris Kelly & Jason White; Punch Score: 100, Special Stage: 0, Total Score = 100

Class 2

1st – Kevin Moss & Rob Jones; Punch Score: 1800, Special Stage: 470, Total Score = 2270

2nd – Ben Champion & Martin Champion; Punch Score: 1600, Special Stage: 420, Total Score = 2020

3rd – Karl Day & Tom Haryett; Punch Score: 1300, Special Stage: 0, Total Score = 1300

4th – John Saines & Neil Whitford; Punch Score: 1000, Special Stage: 280, Total Score = 1280

5th – Andrew Billingham & Elie Joseph; Punch Score: 400, Special Stage: 0, Total Score = 400

Thanks challenger for running a great series this year, but if next year has the same rules then I don't think I will be competing.

The reason for this is that I think the handicap system is broken.

The main regular attendees were mostly expert and intermediates + a few novices/intermediates that were wining / scoring well (probably due to incorrect classification).

The handicap system made it very difficult for an expert to do well (for example from the last round a full punch card and good special stage for an expert ended up in 5th place).

Also the handicap system did not take in to account the experience of one vital part of the team (the co-driver), you cannot compete in these events without a co-driver, so why ignore their experience level?

So what handicapping system would I like to see to make the event better?

I would like to see something like the Touring car system of how handicap is calculated, this is very similar to golf another sport that has a handicap system.

These 2 systems are based on results, you do well in a event/round then your handicap benefit is reduced, you do not so well your handicap benefit is increased.

New competitors that don't have results from previous years events (clubman or other events including non winch challenge off road events) should be given a handicap based on the experience of driver and co-driver.

The exact system can be worked out if it is decided that the handicap system will change.

This was my first year of competing in winch challenges (well any 4x4 discipline)

I was penilised as a Expert due to my co-drivers experiance! With me no experiance and a experianced co-driver made me an expert! :blink:

Over the year we have completed all the punch cards bar 2 one dnf due to car problems and one night mare of a day and we missed 2 punches. We won the first round! which I was chuffed to bits with! but since then our scores have been very good and dropped down the table to a regular 5 or 6th! we even finished one event over 1 hour early!!! :D

Dan

Thanks challenger for running a great series this year, but if next year has the same rules then I don't think I will be competing.

The main regular attendees were mostly expert and intermediates + a few novices/intermediates that were wining / scoring well (probably due to incorrect classification).

The handicap system made it very difficult for an expert to do well (for example from the last round a full punch card and good special stage for an expert ended up in 5th place).

Also the handicap system did not take in to account the experience of one vital part of the team (the co-driver), you cannot compete in these events without a co-driver, so why ignore their experience level?

I would like to see something like the Touring car system of how handicap is calculated, this is very similar to golf another sport that has a handicap system.

These 2 systems are based on results, you do well in a event/round then your handicap benefit is reduced, you do not so well your handicap benefit is increased.

New competitors that don't have results from previous years events (clubman or other events including non winch challenge off road events) should be given a handicap based on the experience of driver and co-driver.

The exact system can be worked out if it is decided that the handicap system will change.

Hi Lucy here, I apprieciate that you were not at the event yesterday but I provided everyone with a letter to explain how the handicap system will be worked out next year. As we have one series figures to go by we are now able to see how good people actually are and we are going to handicap people according to your average punch count for this year. We will keep the same system as we have now for anyone new coming into the series. I have tried to be as fair as possible to all that are taking part and I have had to rely this year on people being honest with me about what they have done previously. We do not take this lightly and an awful lot of effort has been put into the organisation of the series and it has been a big learning curve for all of us this year. I have come to realise that I am obviously never going to be able to please everyone, if I make it better for the experienced people then the novices will be annoyed and vice versa. We have considered putting out more punches but as Paul generally only has one other person helping set out this puts a lot more pressure on him at the beginning and the end of the event. We have also considered having punches worth a different amount of points depending on how many people get them but from a scoring point of you that would be a nightmare, and Sara and I would still be working out the scores when you were all tucked up in bed. We have had 2 meetings so far about what we are to do next year and I sometimes wonder if it is worth it! Another suggestion has been that we have three seperate classes and class 1 & 2 within them but would you all be happy for your entry fee to increase to accomodate the extra trophies, prizes, paperwork etc!!!

We did take into consideration both members of the team that is why Dan and Adrian were considered to be experts which was obvoiusly the correct decision if they are clearing up with an hour to go !!!

We are still undecided as to the percentage handicap and other details we are going to use, we have spreadsheets coming out of our ears, I do hope that nobody will not enter because of the decision we have made, we must also always consider that is supposed to be a clubman event so if our decision is swaying towards the more experienced people we would be putting off the people that this series has been designed for.

I apologise for ranting. If you or anyone has any queries or moans I will always try to answer them you only have to pick up the phone!!!!!

Lucy

xxx

As always we had a fab day out, Peaked a bit too early setting a super time on the special stage, Kinda tailed off from there though.

Still, there"s next year to improve on our scores,

We really enjoyed the site and as the norm now some exellent sections/punches for all abilitys,

Back to the behind the scenes stuff shortly though to carry on sorting out next year with the other hard working peeps,

If anyone has some constructive comments on the series past or future please feel free to call/email the club or lucy, As mentioned above a huge amount of time is put in to "get it right" we will always listen and welcome ideas,

Finally ----- See you at the fireworks party saturday :)

we even finished one event over 1 hour early!!! :D

Dan

Moaning about being penalised then bragging.

Shooting yourself in the foot me thinks Dan.

You can't please all the people all the time, you have to give credit to Challenger for trying to put on what is essentially a Novice/Clubman event.

Yes true towards the end especially there hasn't been many Novice competitor's but could this be due to the fact that "Expert's" are competing??

(It has been mentioned)

I'm sure Challenger will come up with something that will be fairer to everyone

Cracking Pictures Barry :)

I for one have really enjoyed the series this year. We have had mixed fortunes in the series, but progressed, developed the truck, and ended on something of a high note for us.

Thanks to all involved, we appreciate it.

Cheers

Mark

This was my first year of competing in winch challenges (well any 4x4 discipline)

I was penilised as a Expert due to my co-drivers experiance! With me no experiance and a experianced co-driver made me an expert! :blink:

Over the year we have completed all the punch cards bar 2 one dnf due to car problems and one night mare of a day and we missed 2 punches. We won the first round! which I was chuffed to bits with! but since then our scores have been very good and dropped down the table to a regular 5 or 6th! we even finished one event over 1 hour early!!! :D

Dan

Self praise is pretty meaningless

how many events have you attended this year Dan?

hardly novice except when I saw you on your roof at Wellington site

that looked pretty novel :)

Well both myself and my Co-driver had a thoroughly enjoyable season.

Sometimes we've not done so well, sometimes we've done very well...

The only thing steeper than punch 5 at Coney Green is the learning curve we've both been on.

I would like to say a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who organised, ran, helped, setup and competed in the events.

We've had advice and help from spectators and competitors alike. I feel this level of sportsmanship contributes to the overall spirit of the event and of course lends itself to the face cracking and a big smile breaking out...after all, isn't this why we all crawl around under dirty landies etc so we can go play ?? !!

I'd hate to see politics creep into a fantastic clubman event. Yes its competitive, yes we take it seriously, but it's so much fun !!

I now find the wait for the race reports, landrover magazines to be posted through my door almost unbearable...i'm thinking of having a letterbox cut.... :lol:

I for one am really looking forward to next year....

Firstly- thanks to Challenger for running this event.

We managed the first two events (Bordon and Alton) which were great fun, challenging to navigate and drive, and we learned a lot fixing the 90 in order to drive home in it.

Both me and Stu are hanging up the winch blanket as far as competitions are concerned for now, as trying to complete some of the punches we broke the car a few times which is a nightmare when Stu has to drive it to work the next day!

We will be back when we can get a competition truck to use!!!!!!!! (and permission from the boss to keep one!)

Going to volunteer for marshalling next season, as I know there is always a need for them!!

Overall- we met some great people, learned a lot and am glad to have had a go at winchmonkeying at a competitive level.

Highlights were- The chaps with the coach (awesome!), the impromptu barbeque spit thing, and hearing some of the war stories in the evening.

As for the handicap system, no issues with that at all. We knew how it was worked out prior to starting the series, and everything was explained really well. For us greenlane herberts, it seemed fine.

Signing off

GW

• 2 weeks later...