which GPS receiver?

JST

well my laptop built in GPS works but not well enough (it loses sats too quickly and doesn't provide that close a fix compared to some of the other units now available)

Ideally i am after a USB and Bluetooth compatible receiver. Sirf111 seems to be the way to go. so who uses what and what would you recommend?

USB 'and' Bluetooth - Why Both?

A friend has a car with a shielding windscreen, so he put a Bluetooth one inside the fibreglass rear tailgate. It is wired into the car power supply, and works without any problem, both seeing the Satellites and conversing with the PC in the front.

I bought a Bluetooth one because I was going to use it in cars belonging to other people, and I thought it better not to have 'another' plug and lead sticking out of the laptop, as I have to quickly 'store' the laptop down the side of the seat when I get out to open gates etc.

The battery powered aspect meant I was also getting away from another power lead floating around the car.

In practice it's a bit of a pain, because I always have to remember to charge it up before going out.

Also, in my experience, the Bluetooth connection always takes a bit of time to sync into Memory Map or the PC, and we can be three or more miles down the road before everything is talking to one another.

A fellow Green Lane driver, in his own vehicle, uses a GPS Mouse from the Memory Map people, but of course that's more of a fixed installation, whereas mine is temporary.

In principle I've made the decision to buy a Mouse style GPS Receiver, certainly for my own car, I just haven't made the purchase!!

Mine is more than 12 months old, I did post at the time about the confusion possible between the cheaper HOLOX and the more expensive HOLUX, but I expect models have advanced since then, so I'm not going to be specific.

HTH

Have you thought about either fitting an external antenna, which would stop the issues you describe.

OR

a reradiating antenna for inside the car, which will also sort the issue out, most likely.

The external antenna doesn't need to be fixed, I use magnetic ones all the time, but you do have wires knocking around.

The re-radiating may be a fixed install but no wires, and any GPS device benefits.

Adding a little bit to Mike's post ( & using his log in !!)

When we loaded Garmin City Select into the netbook although the maps were there it would not follow a route or pick up the satellites. I found out from Garmin that city select no longer allowed the tracking etc as they had parted company with nRoute. I duly installed nRoute then also GpsGate and BINGO we now have a fantastic mapping system running right in front of my eyes - and I can read it.

If you want to talk about this please pm me your phone no and we'll ring you.

Margaret

I have a USB one, SiRF iii chipset. Works brilliantly placed on the top of the dash crash pad thing, at the bottom of the windscreen, and gets a fix within around 5-10 seconds from a cold start. Only cost me about £30 or so I think. Will try and find out what the thing's called for you.

Brilliant for Memory Map and general navigation software smile.gif

Edit: Like this one: http://www.globalsat.co.uk/product_pages/product_bu353.htm

I also have a USB receiver from Globalsat and had a bluetooth version from the same company. They're good and relieble. Can't say the same about their CF version though.

This is what I have now, which is a bit more than a just a receiver:

big.189650.4B11E43A-1572-4AEF-BF10-D63DB7E9CCA9.jpg

Product web page: http://www.mainnav.com/product/md-950dl.htm

What it does or it's nice:

- it's Sirf III based

- it can be used on both USB or bluetooth modes

- it's waterproof (rain)

- the battery is replaceable and it's the same as for some of the Nokia phones; charges pretty quick (typically less than 2 hours, 1/2 hour charge is enough for 8-10 hours work)

- it works with a discharged battery or without the battery (with the car charger connected)

- it can record tracks/waypoints in its internal memory (without using a laptop/pda/phone/whatever)

- it displays some info

- very good sat reception from anywhere inside my LR Discovery 300 (including from under the seat, glove box, central console - all tests done while city driving on streets with 10 stories buildings both sides)

- Bluetooth pairing takes 1-2 secs

- it does what it says on the tin in terms of sat acquisition times

For more info you can see the manual: http://www.mainnav.com/download/MG-950DL%20data%20logger%20manual.pdf

James

Is it a Toughbook with built in GPS?

I was interested in acquiring one but not if they are as you described!

John

yes it is CF18 with built in GPS

had it running next to a bluetooth one and the fix from the the bluetooth one was typically 1-2m when the built in one was 5-6m. the built in one also lost signal quicker. it was approx 200mm from the bluetooth one so i am not sure extending the antenna will improve it that much

To add to that,, Don't think JST's is the standard Toughbook with built in GPS

When i bought mine direct from Panasonic, i ordered one with the built in GPS,amongst other bits, but they had a cock up with the model numbers, so came without,

They told me at the time, it was a fully internal unit,

Did eventually get a refund for the lack off GPS !!!

I use a Holox BT321 Holox%20BT-321.pngwith my Nokia phone that runs TomTom. This works exceptionally well with my laptop as well as the phone.

Although the screen on my RRC is heated and creates a shield from the satellites it works perfectly OK is positioned right in the corner of the dash just outside the heated area. In the Ninety a dollop of velcro tape holds it on the dash top.

Battery life is very impressive, it lasted all week when using it daily in France but even if it did go flat it comes with a car charger so not really a problem.

I also have a GLOBALSAT BU353 SIRFSTAR III USB GPS RECEIVER that does a fine job with the laptop.

I use a Holox BT321 Holox%20BT-321.pngwith my Nokia phone that runs TomTom. This works exceptionally well with my laptop as well as the phone.

Although the screen on my RRC is heated and creates a shield from the satellites it works perfectly OK is positioned right in the corner of the dash just outside the heated area. In the Ninety a dollop of velcro tape holds it on the dash top.

Battery life is very impressive, it lasted all week when using it daily in France but even if it did go flat it comes with a car charger so not really a problem.

I also have a GLOBALSAT BU353 SIRFSTAR III USB GPS RECEIVER that does a fine job with the laptop.

James I have this one you are welcome to try it before you buy

it is superb