Challenge truck

red90 driver

Commonplace??? I can think of 3.... 2 of which haven't been used to a great extent in the UK.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that its only D&G that build buggies worth talking about.... I mean Mitsimog's so easily forgotten....

Funny that Both Jez & i are doing just that Ladoga, Croatia etc.

So you're coming to Russia then Pete??

As to light as possible that also depends on power & terrain.

Erm, yeh thanks for that ;) - I wasn't suggesting that you ditch your engine and go for pedal power, merely that weight saving should be a priority during any build, albeit not to the detriment of robustness or safety.

Ross

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that its only D&G that build buggies worth talking about.... I mean Mitsimog's so easily forgotten....

So you're coming to Russia then Pete??

Erm, yeh thanks for that ;) - I wasn't suggesting that you ditch your engine and go for pedal power, merely that weight saving should be a priority during any build, albeit not to the detriment of robustness or safety.

Ross

Would love to do Ladoga one year to be honest. But 1 biggy a year 2010 Croatia again {Blew engine on day 7 so want to finish event}Also visit KOH to recce in Febuary.

2011 Transalvaia & hopefuly King of the Hammers.

2012 maybe especially as they cater for trailer queens now :D

Returning to the original question (briefly).

I built a truck with no preconception about what wheelbase it would end up with, just placed all the bits where I thought best (or easiest) for a whole host of reasons including UJ offset angles, leg room, visibility, turn circle......... - and it came out at exactly 100". It just seems to be a nice compromise which minimises the build problems. Equally, driving 100" vehicles you get a reasonable mixture of maneuverability and stability. It's a compromise, but one which does not preclude any particular use.

One thing I've noticed (this is not intended to offend anyone). A lot of the people who have done well in competitions over the years, do so initially in pretty standard vehicles. Simply because their driving and teamwork are good. Innevitably you can only hold position for a year or two before new, better people come along and take their place. It's generally in this period that people start building 'uber' (Sorry Nick! (He doesn't like the word 'Uber')) trucks to try to hold on to their position. 'chasing the dragon'

This leads to many people starting out thinking that they need something incredible to be competative. That's great for companies selling trick bits (perhaps I'd better shut up now :ph34r:) but I'm not sure it helps them compete as much as some retailers might like to think! History shows that your score is not proportional to your spend.

I on the other hand know my driving is rubbish - so my only option to improve it is to invent and add technology!

Si

soon people will be saying what you bought a gigglepin winch im gona make my own out of cardboard :ph34r::rolleyes:

Maybe not cardboard, but a lot of the trophy raid trucks their main winches are home-brew centre mounted PTO or crank drive monsters that would see off any off-the-shelf winch for both power & speed. They usually have something like a T-max or DV9000 as backup.

Again, most of us have better things to do than reinvent the wheel (or winch), but there's no reason you can't make your own very successfully.

I was referring to Mitsimog as the one that was in use in the UK.

I wasn't aware D & G had more than 2 buggies in the UK.

Lighten up.

:D

Maybe not cardboard, but a lot of the trophy raid trucks their main winches are home-brew centre mounted PTO or crank drive monsters that would see off any off-the-shelf winch for both power & speed. They usually have something like a T-max or DV9000 as backup.

Again, most of us have better things to do than reinvent the wheel (or winch), but there's no reason you can't make your own very successfully.

The winch i wanted really was the type fitted on the Armoured personel carriers that fire out the ground anchor winch up to it then automatically disengage :D

Imagine that " yep we did Ladoga but had to get out the truck twice to re-fuel " :lol:

Ced and I opted for 100" for similar reasons that Simon stated, we did have 100 as a goal though when we started,

As it happened though, while building, it just "felt" better at 104" which it is now. Although it is adjustable from 100" to about 105"

It all fits in so well at these dimensions.

I know Pete did a similar thing, sitting in a 104" frame he just didn't fit!! so roof up, wheel base out and ended at 120"

And his fridge of course :D:lol::D

Lara

History shows that your score is not proportional to your spend.

Very true! Even taking skill out of the equasion and probably you'll get 75% of the way for 25% of the cost. This is what is so good about this sport - even the best on paper may well not win!

Very true! Even taking skill out of the equasion and probably you'll get 75% of the way for 25% of the cost. This is what is so good about this sport - even the best on paper may well not win!

Skill & how much you care about winning :ph34r:

My mate who is self proclaimed "crew Chief" {crew of 1 :blink: } flipped when we fitted the fridge & steroe to the Buggy .

"Race car mate Race Car!! what the F**k do you want a fridge in it for WEIGHT WEIGHT"

Personally we do try as hard as we can to do well but at the end of the day it is for fun ,i get enough stress & SH*T at work to take it all too serious .

I can see though why some teams get stressed about results etc as there buisiness /sponsorship relys on them proforming well.

We also dont help that situation by turning up having a laugh / taking the tiddle & doing reasonably well at the same time :D

Lets hope not too much money gets in the sport or it will change all that.

One of my foremen race World Rally cars {£300k Build costplus support!!!} he apparantly will never win as on every comp if he does well the BIG BOYS will lodge a official complaint at £300-500 a time & he has to pay equivalent to defend it .So he just takes it up the ass & looses.

Wonder what it was like in Portugal with a big prize fund at the camp at night ??

Manby is a really fun event with £1k cash prize & you would be surprised with some of the comments all over £1k & that is between "friends" so to speak ;) Imagine what it must be like in the STates with $100k plus prizes

Daf - you're right, wish I had never asked now...

Well, it's been interesting seeing how much off topic it all got!!

I thought it was a simple question, and would get simple answers, not run to 5 pages! My longest running post ever. :lol:

I'm now going to open another can of worms....