wing top vents and hiclone

can someone tell me what the wingtop vents are for on a 300Tdi 110? i think the passenger side one is for the heater intake but i can't think what the driver side one is for, if it's not important i'm thinking of blanking it off...

and has anyone fitted those hiclone things that apparently swirl the air going in to improve combustion?

thanks

Passenger side is heater intake, the driver side one doesn't go anywhere and can either be fitted with a blanking plate (factory fit) but some people put the same as passenger side to balance the look. All it will do is put fresh air into the engine compartment.

I can't see what possible effect you could get with swirled up intake air when it then gets whizzed around by the turbo and chopped up by the valves as it enters the head. Save your money for useful things like drain holes!

:lol:

Malcolm

Yup, I'm just pre-empting the other opinion. Forward thinking ya see Bish ;):)

Aah, getting your retaliation in first?

Sadly the pro-clone side seems to be utterly absent :( . Is this unique - everyone has realised they can't do what they claim to do?

Hi-clones are brilliant! I fitted one to my 110 Td5 and immediately saw MPG improvements of 80%, increased power and performance, better handling, it became more comfortable to drive, I got air-con and it became automatic.... Oh, wait, I started leaving the 110 in the drive and driving a car. More effective and reliable than a hiclone, a little dearer but better value for money IMHO. :P

Chris

just incase you guys are saying these thing because you carnt afford a hiclone there are loads of cheap knock off copies on ebay going for 99p they are called a VORTEX Cyclone

Now that is the funniest thing I have read in ages!!:lol: :lol:

Tell us Tricky, do you have a vortex fitted? (to your truck at least!) Is the improvement unimaginably great?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but you can't really believe the folk who have posted on this thread did so out of jealousy... can you...?

Aaaahh! so Hiclones are kind of like go faster stripes and huge spoilers?! "yeah i put one on cos my mate said i'd get an extra 40bhp easy" nice to know! think i'll give it a miss!

glad i can blank the vent off, it cracked a bit the other day when i got on the wing (i put it down to weak plastic rather than excess weight!) i always seem to get up on that side, i'm glad i got a full bonnet chequer plate cover!

thanks everyone :)

Thanks again for the input, didn't realise i'd be opening such a can of worms with the hiclone debate! i'd never seen them before but thought i'd check it out with the experts...

i think i'm going to make a blanking plate (but thanks for the offer Malcolm) i've got plenty of chequerplate in the barn so i might even be able to get the pattern matching! i only want it to make sure i don't end up falling off the bonnet/wing with the front of my foot stuck in a broken vent! :rolleyes:

-although that would make a funny picture.... :lol: