OT: The inevitable Top Gear thread

Guest diesel_jim

I heard a rumour clarkson was leaving...

Here in Aus Channel 9 Has bought the rights to Top Gear Australia and to show the Uk show( used to be on SBS, which is like it going from channel 5 to ITV) . They are saying that the new top gear Australia will be presneted by Clarkson with Shane Warne

Unfortunately this was as much as I got to see out here in Bucharest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_a-EdkfI0&feature=player_embedded

Great road, drove it a couple of weeks before TopGear Turned up

Go here and where you ca down load the whole program What i do here in Australia. Top Gear download

Although it will be on the TV here in a couple of months anyway

• 3 weeks later...

how intersting, watching top gear last night when guy ritchie comes on as a star in a resnably priced car and ......... apparently he likes greenlaning and 'a bit of winching'. with his money we could have a top class winch truck on our hands!

anyone else see it?

apparently he likes greenlaning and 'a bit of winching'. with his money we could have a top class winch truck on our hands!

Winching is out of place on a green lane these days though, a point which could (should, IMHO) have been made.

Chris

oh dont start...

he could have meant winching when at local play days - he did say greenlaning AND offroading. :angry:

yeah dont think he meant dragging his diff pans along a green lane , i think he meant 'i like green laning' AND, 'driving to get stuck and then winching '.

anyway nice to know we have a famous following!

oh dont start...

he could have meant winching when at local play days - he did say greenlaning AND offroading. :angry:

Wanna make something of it? :ph34r:

If I interpreted it that way, how might someone less sympathetic to the cause of green lane driving interpret it?

Perhaps you think it is OK to go out and make a big mess getting stuck on a green lane then winching yourself out? Sorry mate, those days are gone.

Chris

Personally I thought he was quit clear 'Green laning AND winching', separate things, especially noted in his tone of voice, I certainly didn't take it that he did both at once :)

Was nice to have some publicity, with Clarkson not negative about it, just not being able to understand it :)

I am sorry to say I get very defensive when I see what I take to be the abuse of green lanes by people who either do not understand or do not care about the sensitive political situation surrounding them.

Chris

i completely agree, to see lanes shut just because lanes are torn to shreads by short sighted people is a shame.

whats more of a shame is that due to those types of people not looking after the lanes we are forced to have this conversation.

i agree with your 1st point completely but dont think TG meant any harm by there comments and maybe my reprentation of what was said was wrong.

anyway anyone fancy going fishing for a clio?

Dan

i agree with your 1st point completely but dont think TG meant any harm by there comments and maybe my reprentation of what was said was wrong.

I think there was enough ambiguity in what was said on TG for it to be taken the wrong way either through misunderstanding or by those with an agenda against green laning.

Equally there was enough ambiguity in what was said that it may be the case the Guy Ritchie does actually enjoy green laning and winching as a joint venture, just as some might say they enjoy green laning and sight seeing.

Either way it was not a very good comment to be aired on national TV.

If a green lane is in such a condition that you cannot drive it without winching then you shouldn't be driving it.

Thanks for the enlightenment and I can appreciate the concerns shared with the abuse of green laning, back in South Africa once upon a time we could ride on the beaches but because of the abuse,misuse and drunkeds beach driving was out right banned, even impacting on the launching of ski boats.

Going into detail like that isnt really part of the conversation though is it?

Saying:

"I do some greenlaning and a bit of winching"

works just fine in a TV chat show, whereas:

"I do some greenlaning, and then completely separately, with no interaction at all because thats really bad, i do a bit of winching"

doesnt work at all. Going into the differences and when one should do one or the other has no place in that conversation, just like you wouldnt go into it if a mate asked you the same question in the pub, so its a bit much slating the guys for not making it super clear...