OT: Anti virus protection

Happyoldgit

Just so Mac users don't feel left out, can I suggest ClamXav as a virus/malware catcher to make sure you don't send any to sitting duck PCs. It'l work on a few *nixs as well.

It's quite scary, I'm getting 3-4 items being plucked out of my e-mail stream each week as dodgy, (then I've turned off most of the ISP filtering as being too crude).

In case Mac users feel too smug, the trojans for Macs use social engineering to work- so if you've got something you installed it yourself!

I have been repairing PC's and removing viruses for years now I would recomment AVG Free even in it's over-bloated current state. I usualy keep away from software firewalls as they tend to cause more issues than solve problems. As long as you steer clear of Norton for anything at all and McAfee as it is generally pretty bad too (but not as bad as Norton) you should be OK.

I also use Malwarebytes Antimalware when I feel the need to, and I have also just found a tool called Trojan Remover. It's not free but it has a 30 day trial, which has got me out of the poo a couple of times with customers machines. I used to use SpyBot S&D as someone said earlier in this thread, but it started to be unable to remove threats so I switched to this instead.

But just be carefull in where you go and what you download and where you get it from. MSN is an excellent breeding place for viruses, as is facebook it seems. All these 'cool' little tools that seem to enhance Messenger or any other social networking based programs are another virus haven.

Sorry for the rant, but I really should be thankful for viruses. Nearly every call I get about a PC problem is due to junior either looking at pr0n or downloading a tool to enhance Messenger which was recommended by one of his mates. Then it all grinds to a halt and I have fix it in exchange for cash. What a hard life I lead...

I have to recommend Avast too. never had any problem, i do however also use a sweeping program to remove and rewrite any 'excess' programmes and data. Cyberscrub... you will be amazed at what is on your HD and how much space you have lost.

Depending who you bank with licences are often free. Barclays certainly offer free Kaspersky and some of the others do.

I can only recommend NOD32. I work in the industry and have neved heard a bad word. My mother uses AVG and i use Kaspersky due to the free licence. If you want one let me know. I have three full licences and only use one. I'm happy to give you one of them via PM. The package is called Kaspersky Internet Security. We can re-new each year via PM or email but you'll get 365 when you register. All legal. NP.

Do not use Norton or any symantec product. Ever. Its practically a virus in its own right. All the others are pretty much OK and although NOD32 is certainly the best AV some others are better at overall secuirty. My employer has recently gone for G Data after extensive trials. Its a hybrid so supposedly very good using multiple engines (which should tick one of our boxes!). None of the engines are LPG....hehe

PM me if you want my licence key or a family member may already use Barclays.

Hmmm, there was I thinking that this was a Land Rover technical forum. It seems to have become a computer advice forum.

Having had OT posts locked by the thread author previously (I now abide by the rules and don't ;) )and having had a request for a definition of OT subjects in a thread locked, I am now truly surprised to see this same moderator making an entirely OT post. It does indeed seem that there is one rule for some and one rule for others.

Hey ho, I wonder how long this stays up.

Mo

Hmmm

OT cam be an issue, as to if this is then its a maybe, but No PC = No LR4x4 as Mod or member

and having just had me old (not so) trusty :( PC waggle its legs in the air for the last time

I had no LR4x4, now Windows 7 and a Quad Core Mini Monster later its Kasperksyd'd fior safety

No I guess in fairness it 'aint tech, is poss OT, but sort of not OT as its sort of essential

be it posted by a Mod or Member. Lastly I did hear VVVG things on NOD32, but was equally told

its more IT Techy than sy Kasperky which is more IT Idiot (Moi :P:rofl: ) but both exellent

Nige