Axle Breathers?

I was just trawling through ebay to see if anything exciting was on there that I might just need.

I came across an axle breather kit.

Do I need to have one of these fitted or is it just one of those items that are out there to get you to buy it but you dont really need it.

Im off on the Mac 4x4 in March and have no idea what that entails.

For the sake of a few pounds I dont want to be having watery problems, so is it a worthy investment? Are there other wading issues I may need to protect my 90 from?

Thank you.

Neil.

If last year's Mac 4x4 is anything to go by you won't need breathers, deepest water I encountered was a 3" puddle.

The off road elements were very tame, hopefully this year the off road sections will be more "challenging", as a number of complaints were made I believe.

As already stated, it's worth fitting raised breathers for future peace of mind and to remove the element of doubt when you can't resist a water crossing!

John

but your vehicle will already have std breathers. it depends on what you want to do. if you have no snorkel then leave the std breathers. if you intend going deeper than 0.5m then raise the breathers and get a snorkel for piece of mind. if your going in over the bonnet then raise the breathers to the same height as the snorkel top.

I just fitted a breather kit from ebay, cost around £25, but for the hassle of getting the bits it's easier in the long run.

The kits should come with replacement breathers for the front and rear axles, replacement breathers for the gearbox and transfer case and new breathers to fit the bell housing and timing case which remove the need for wading plugs

I fitted mine and ran the lines up to the snorkel, fit and forget :)

and new breathers to fit the bell housing and timing case which remove the need for wading plugs

Incorrect. They may use the wading plug thread, or not, but they do not replace the dual functions a wading plug serves...

Push-fit hose and connectors are available at any pneumatics/hydraulics type outfit, as well as ebay. recently i bought 10 1/4" to 6mm push-fits for pence each, with free delivery. That makes a 25 quid kit look like a complete rip-off!!

It amazes me that people will default to spending money on a 'kit' when plenty of good advice provided on this forum for free will save pounds, and cost nothing more than a search.

I had a snorkel fitted when I had the engine replaced.

For peace of mind before entering deep water make sure you regulary check that your snorkel has no leaks. To do this then take the top off whilst engine running and with the palm of your hand put it over the open top. Your hand should be nearly sucked into the snorkel and the engine start to stall due to the lack of available air. If it keeps running then you have a leak somewhere that needs blocking, else thats where water will enter!

Incorrect. They may use the wading plug thread, or not, but they do not replace the dual functions a wading plug serves...

I only bought the kit as it was the first thing I bought for the landy along with the snorkel, I needed to make sure I had good wading kit before I went to Wales during that severe weather we had a few months back. I always go for the most economic option normally :)

Could you explain what you mean by the wading plugs? I have breathers permenantly coming off the two current holes, is this wrong?

recently i bought 10 1/4" to 6mm push-fits for pence each, with free delivery.

Can anyone confirm the sizes please. I agree with LandyManLuke - you can find various fittings on line quite cheaply, along with the piping.

Anybody given much thought to 90deg swivel fittings vs. recessed fittings ?

Nick

I only bought the kit as it was the first thing I bought for the landy along with the snorkel, I needed to make sure I had good wading kit before I went to Wales during that severe weather we had a few months back. I always go for the most economic option normally :)

Could you explain what you mean by the wading plugs? I have breathers permenantly coming off the two current holes, is this wrong?

At the bottom of the bell housing and timing case (both at the lowest point) there is a threaded hole, normally there is a threaded plug that goes in when wading and then it needs to be taken off once you have finished your trip A) to let the water out which can still get in B) the hole is there to let oil out from destroying the clutch and timing belt.

Thats why having push fit connectors isnt the best of ideas, however all you need to do is pull the tube off every so often and check there is no oil.

HTH

Dave.

At the bottom of the bell housing and timing case (both at the lowest point) there is a threaded hole, normally there is a threaded plug that goes in when wading and then it needs to be taken off once you have finished your trip A) to let the water out which can still get in B) the hole is there to let oil out from destroying the clutch and timing belt.

Thats why having push fit connectors isnt the best of ideas, however all you need to do is pull the tube off every so often and check there is no oil.

HTH

Dave.

Ah ok, I understand you know. I have breathers on both said points. I leave them disconnected for normal road use though :)

Threads on my axles are 1/8" BSP

Hmmm, anyone have any tips on how to tell if they are 1/8" or 1/4" on a Defender - 91 Reg. Does it change by chassis or axle number ? Or will I just have to get off my christmas and new year enhanced butt and take one out and measure it.... :-)

Threads on my axles are 1/8" BSP

Yup, 1/8" BSP (on pre-td5 axles at least?), and 1/4" BSP for 'boxes, as already posted on the forum. I have used 90 degree connectors to keep the pipe closer to the axle. straight connectors would put a large loop in the pipe.

I believe td5 axles have push fit connectors in as standard? can anyone confirm or deny this?

Luke

Lots of good info on here chaps - but just to confirm what I am reading;

I need breathers fittings for the front and rear axles, gearbox and transfer case.

I need wading plugs for the bell housing and the timing case

Pipe to take the breathers to the highest point (above the expected water line).

Please let me know if I have missed anything,

Cheers

Nick

Lots of good info on here chaps - but just to confirm what I am reading;

I need breathers fittings for the front and rear axles, gearbox and transfer case.

I need wading plugs for the bell housing and the timing case

Pipe to take the breathers to the highest point (above the expected water line).

Please let me know if I have missed anything,

Cheers

Nick

You can get a breather for the timing chest too, but its not essential. Like the one on the left here

All the bits can be bought here too here

The manifold is sold on that website too, so you can join all the axles and gearbox together and have only the one pipe going up the snorkle which is much more tidy.

Dave.