Frozen washers (again)

hattymender

Done a search and didn't come up with anything so please don't flame me out if this has been discussed before.........

Windscreen washers on a 110. Frozen for third morning this week. I've tried neat washer fluid and wrapping pipe around a hot hose but it's freezing at the nozzles so unless I give them a squirt every 100 yards they stop working.

Anybody got a cure? (and I'm too old to move to Australia before that's suggested)

I've had this problem recently - the only solution I thought of would be to tear apart some heated seats for a couple of feet of the heating wire. This could be folded in half and poked inside the washer tube from inside the engine bay. Then 12 volts across the wire would quickly heat the ice inside the washer. The same could be done for the washer bottle.

Could be wired to come on with the heated screen.

build a simple heat exchanger out of microbore 8mm copper central heating tube wrapped a few times around the exhaust manifold. solder the turns to keep tight and over wrap with exhaust wrap. Add push fit connectors and voila.

A non-return valve before the make shift heater would keep an amount of warm washer fluid on-tap :P sorry!

good idea? if so i'll ave the royalties for dragons den etc...

Pete

Heating the fluid is great and warm fluid will clean the screen better all year round.

However I still see problems:-

Without a heated nozzle (or possibly the last 3ft of pipe in the dash rail) it will still freeze up.

Heated fluid will freeze on the screen if the concentration is still low, and that is not pleasant!

On My Volvo there is some sound deadening removed below the jets

so a few miles and they are heated as they are above the exhaust manifold.

We recently drove from Norfolk and it wasn't until Reading the L/R ones started functioning as the Temp rose.

build a simple heat exchanger out of microbore 8mm copper central heating tube wrapped a few times around the exhaust manifold. solder the turns to keep tight and over wrap with exhaust wrap. Add push fit connectors and voila.

A non-return valve before the make shift heater would keep an amount of warm washer fluid on-tap :P sorry!

good idea? if so i'll ave the royalties for dragons den etc...

Pete

Think what you've just 'invented' is known as a flash boiler in other circles. Mmmm, steam cleaning? Could be interesting.......

Can't you guys get washer fluid that does not freeze in the UK? The normal stuff here is good to -40.

I went to top up my washer bottle on Monday figuring I would use neat concentrate. The bottle was in the boot and it had turned to thick slush so I didn't use in the washer bottle. Splashed it straight on the windscreen instead.

A reflective trudge around the block behind a cigarette and a dog lead and I think I've cracked it!

What I need is a small, cheap, 12 volt heating device that I can attach to the jet housing (there's a gap of about 1/4" between the rain channel and the housing).

I already have loads! Light bulbs! (Genius! almost had to lie down in snow to get over giddy fit).

One small bulb, say 5w, wire it in to switch and gob it in place with black silicone to hide light.

Patient applied for!

This isn't just something that happens to a Land Rover.

How about the vehicle manufactures whe put the washer bottle down below the left headlight, The best place for it to freeze up.

Then the volume car maker who would fit the washer pipes between the metal bonnet and the bonnet sound deadening felt.....

I do think the heated jets are a good ides. Olso you could get an extra length of washer pipe and wrap it round the heater hose. Only for the jets to freeze.

So far I have had water at the jets every time I've used the washers.

Tank tape in front of the washer jets also works.

What I need is a small, cheap, 12 volt heating device that I can attach to the jet housing (there's a gap of about 1/4" between the rain channel and the housing).

Or for extra marks for science, how about a pair of 68ohm 3W resistors in parallel (34R, 6.09W at 14.4V)?

I used to have arm mounted jets made out of old brake pipe on the 2A, those would be easy to heat by wrapping them in resistance wire (a bit of maths required, as you'd need the resistance per unit length of the wire) and then heatshrinking it all.

Interesting idea ...

Looks like I could make money selling washer fluid in Europe. I've never heard of anyone having frozen washer nozzles here.

When it gets really cold, you switch to the -45 formula. http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/WindshieldWasherFluid/PRD~0294173P/Motomaster%2BWinter%2BWindshield%2BWasher%2BFluid.jsp

The A4 runs them all the time, They also run the heated mirrors all the time on all models after 1996 (ours is a '96 so the mirrors run off the heated screen)

I foudn this odd at first, but the heated mirrors help keep moisture down and stops spray etc building up on them, and running your heated screen to defrost the washer nozzles isnt very wise either, replacing new nozzles when they burn out is not much money, replacing the screen costs quite a bit! Its also pretty common for the nozzles to refreeze once driving, whereas the screen will tend to stay clear.