Sankey + 110 in a 20' container ???

FFR

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think that the container will be the way (the RoRo is cheaper if you are not towing anything, otherwise you have to pay for the added lenght). It is also mandatory that, if you ship the car in the RoRo, it has to be completely empty, so personal items must be sent by another (exotic/expensive) way.

Hanging the sankey from the container's roof with the appropriate straps/chains, while keeping a safe distance with the landy removing front windscreen and door's tops should be enough. Maybe the wheels and some suspension parts shoud be removed too, once I have some spare time I will check lifting the trailer with the forklift.

Again, thank you for your help and patience,

Carlos

Awesome away from the lights but screaming in 5th by 25mph :lol:

Watch out for the wheelies! ;)

Creative solution though, think it would be loads better to trailer it for thousands of miles like pictured than when the car was sitting sky high on 36" tyres. Did need some spacers to clear the brakes if I remember correctly :)

Cant your shipping agent put you in a 40ft container with another client, and you pay prorata for the space you use?

I have done this in the past .

As mentioned previous posts, you need to be really certain on securing stuff , otherwise you could end up shipping two write offs to Oz ! Even stuff touching causes wear , eg part of mat touching wheel arch flare on 110 wore it thru! Trailers in Oz have to be licenced (pay road tax) in OZ . I found trailers in OZ were way cheaper than in UK , but things might have changed . Take spare spring leaves as they will need to be custom made in OZ also bushes as these suffer extreme wear rates, esp on corrugations . HTSH

why not measure out the dimensions of the container on the ground using posts and rope? then you can get a better idea of the floor layout, and have room to shuffle things about before getting to the docks and finding it won't fit. will the sankey dismantle enough to fit as much as possible inside the defender?

why not measure out the dimensions of the container on the ground using posts and rope? then you can get a better idea of the floor layout, and have room to shuffle things about before getting to the docks and finding it won't fit. will the sankey dismantle enough to fit as much as possible inside the defender?

Hi,

Inner dimmensions are known, there are no doubts about it. On the other hand, the defender will be plenty of things inside.

If there is not a easy way to pack the 110 + sankey in a 20' container (or the cost of sharing a 40' is too high) I will start considering leaving the car behind. I have to spend a lot of time (and some money) moving the steering wheel to the RHS (no way to register mine as a LHD vehicle), and I have been warned that the sice-facing seats in the 110 are no longer allowed there. Even the wolf-type mirrors have to been removed, as just the flat-type are approved according to the Australian Design Rules. Installing rear forward-facing type approval seats according to the ADR is a nightmare too, as they have to have (as I have understood) child restraint points (ADR type approval, of course).

It took me an eternity (and silly money) to find/install the wolf parts (even two trips to UK with the landy) but latest difficulties are pushing me in the way of selling it during the following months.

Thank you,

Carlos

• 4 years later...

I got some 13 inch landrover pattern wheels from indispension that drop the sankey height by a good 4 inches. Actually moving a sankey without wheels on would do you an injury unless you are using a winch.

how about removing the wheels and tub and laying flat on the floor of the container, drive the Landy up over it, should be enough clearance.

Dont the army just turn the sankey upside down and on top of the landy deck then pack all the panels and roof etc around it?

Eric

A high cube might just be big enough - a sankey is a little bit longer than a high cube is tall, so would have to remove the drawbar, put the sankey on it's end lashed to the back of the container and then remove the wheels so you can drive the 110 right up to it - might juuuuuust fit.

A car can move a lot in a container so would need to chock the wheels and lash it down real good - I lashed the body as well as the chassis to stop the body bouncing around on the springs.

I once got chatting with a chap who used to export LR's all round the world, said one trick they used was to put old tyres on the floor & drive the LR onto them, one wheel sat in each tyre.

Also, worth speaking to Reads90 as he exported one of his LR's to Aus but ended up selling the other as it was too much hassle to try to import it.

hi, I am presuming the 110 is a van, so take the roof and sides off the van take out the windscreen take the wheels off trailer (less weight) put trailer on 110 upside down thread drawbar through windscreen opening and you might have room to stand the roof and sides at the front , just a thought dd