Camel trophy LR opinions...

Maverik

Got a 110 and a Freelander. <_<

There are other fellow camel owners on this forum too.

Overated? in what way?

I originally had a lovely rioja red 110 CSW... I swapped it for a Camel because it had all the bits that I wanted to fit for our travels and I simply couldn't bring myself to chop holes in the red one 'cos it was too nice!! So we ended up with a beaten up 110. But I love it!

The 110 has plenty of extras built in such as roll cage, winch, extra fuel tank, tank guard, steering guard, winch, uprated suspension and sturdy roofrack, not to mention all the parafinalia that gets hung off them like sand ladders, shovels and pick axes. Obviously many that are out there have had bits replaced over the years so may not be completely original. It depends on how much a purist you are as to whether this bothers you. The downside of all this stuff is obviously the weight and that it handles like a boat!

The Discos also have many added extras but tend to suffer from cracked body mounts and the usual boot floor/inner wing tin worm problems.

Freelanders... there aren't many right hand drive ones around and when they do come up for sale they seem to have extortionate price tags!

I suppose they attract a premium price not just because of the toys, but because of their heritage. You'll also find that they are generally well cared for and hold their value quite well.

There is an active club that can help you find information about the vehicles ... Club website can be found here.

I'm certainly no purist, but if you want one so you can chop it about I'd try to talk you out of it. If you want one as a usable, fun, travel car then go for it and enjoy the attention it gets.

Dan

Is it worth it? Depends on the vehicle, what is it? If its a Range Rover, series or 90 then almost definately yes as there are so few of them remaining. But costs and finding parts may be an issue.

If its a Disco or 110 then finding the parts will be easier and cheaper, but still not simple!

Restoration jobs don't come up that often. There weren't many Camels in the first place, so to find one that hasn't been treated to some sort of restoration is rare.

My advice would be to make sure it is a genuine camel first, there are plenty of copies out there, some very good, others shamefully bad! If its an actual event car then there should be documentation held by the club and I'm sure they would support you in any way they can. Other vehicles such as pre-scouts, support vehicles etc etc are obviously also worth saving and may be rare for other reasons, workshop 110's for example are very rare... 127/130 even more so.

Justification is not necessary... Go for it ;) ... and Good luck! :)

Is it worth it? Depends on the vehicle, what is it? If its a Range Rover, series or 90 then almost definately yes as there are so few of them remaining. But costs and finding parts may be an issue.

If its a Disco or 110 then finding the parts will be easier and cheaper, but still not simple!

Restoration jobs don't come up that often. There weren't many Camels in the first place, so to find one that hasn't been treated to some sort of restoration is rare.

My advice would be to make sure it is a genuine camel first, there are plenty of copies out there, some very good, others shamefully bad! If its an actual event car then there should be documentation held by the club and I'm sure they would support you in any way they can. Other vehicles such as pre-scouts, support vehicles etc etc are obviously also worth saving and may be rare for other reasons, workshop 110's for example are very rare... 127/130 even more so.

Justification is not necessary... Go for it ;) ... and Good luck! :)

HAHA, oh dear, I really don't need encouragement.

Its a Disco, that looks like its be "civilianised" i.e. its been painted a standard colour and had all the nice bits taken off it, so from the outside it looks like a standard Disco... apart from the reg. which indicates it was a Trophy vehicle and you lift the bonnet and the engine bay and under some of the panels like rear door are painted Sandglow. Also got wounds in the roof and rear door where the roof rack and ladder where fitted.

Would be a brilliant project but I've already got a defender in bits on the driveway!

Whats the going price of a Camel Disco do you know?

cheers

HAHA, oh dear, I really don't need encouragement.

<subliminal whispering mode> BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT!!! </subliminal whispering mode>

going price... hmmm thats a difficult one!

For a fairly tidy 300tdi with all the toys I'd guess around 7-8k. There was somebody trying to sell one of the Jap limited edition Discos on the bay a couple of weeks ago... it was up for £8500, which I think is very unrealistic as they were pretty much standard with a yellow paint job and a few stickers! If any end up on Mike Robsons web site, they get advertised for a whole lot more than that.

Some of the Discos also had "the Camel-cut" on the back wheel arches (200tdi's and early 300tdi's I think :unsure:). Has it still got the cage?

It would be interesting to find the history of it, I'd contact the club and ask a few questions. If you don't buy it, let me know 'cos I know a man who could possibly be interested.

Dan :)

I've fired a few questions to the club, see what they come back with.

How many vehicles has that Mike guy got!! a tad unfair to have soooooooo many.

I don't think it does have its roll cage. I presume it would be obvious if it did. Doesn't appear to have the camel cut either.

I appreciate the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

IMHO many people over-rate camels, they are as V8Bertha says a good expedition vehicle but all the extra gear makes them heavy and hence not great off-road compared to a bog standard truck.

If you want something with some history, something for overlanding and greenlaning then great. If you want to go playing, chop it about etc. then you will either be devaluing the truck massively (and incurring the wrath of the purists) or just not getting as far as a standard truck.

Won't be getting it to chop it about, I have a perfectly good 90 to do that too sat presently in bits due to the nugget that had it before me doing too much chopping about.

I'd be getting it in mind to restore to a "proper" camel - as at the moment it doesn't have any of the refinments of an expedition vehicle.

Will have to see. I like the idea of its "pedigree" and the its possible history if I can find out somthing about it.

Without wanting to sound negative, and bearing in mind I am a genuine fan of these vehicles, this one doesn't sound like it will b easy or cheap to 'restore' to any degree of originality...

From what you are describing, it sounds like other than the odd bit of yellow paint, anything camel trophy related has been removed - which means to put it back in will not be easy - the rollcage and roofrack are the big bits that spring to mind, and were fairly unique to the camel trucks. So finding the right type will be difficult, and it won't the right one for that car...

Personally, whilst I am all in favour of a challenge, and saving some history, I wonder what is actually left to save?

Just playing devil's advocaat really....

Mark ;)

Without wanting to sound negative, and bearing in mind I am a genuine fan of these vehicles, this one doesn't sound like it will b easy or cheap to 'restore' to any degree of originality...

From what you are describing, it sounds like other than the odd bit of yellow paint, anything camel trophy related has been removed - which means to put it back in will not be easy - the rollcage and roofrack are the big bits that spring to mind, and were fairly unique to the camel trucks. So finding the right type will be difficult, and it won't the right one for that car...

Personally, whilst I am all in favour of a challenge, and saving some history, I wonder what is actually left to save?

Just playing devil's advocaat really....

Mark ;)

yup, totally appreciate your angle. yeah it wouldn't be a breeze thats for sure, if i could get it for a bargin then considering it as a land rover in its own right it would be good. I could do with another engine for my Defender.

Yeah it would be a long job too, I think the roof rack and cage can be found/made, but of course at a cost.

I was just looking at some "regular" disco's and to be honest i could get a better one for the price and build a replica... but it still gets me mildly excited to think about where its been...

You should bear in mind some Camel stuff is rare & expensive so you may not manage to properly restore it.

Another factor is that there are more Camel trucks about than LR built, certain people seem to keep finding Camel 110's and Discos that were presumed missing/crushed, so check very carefully. The Camel club are a nice and very knowledgeable bunch, but you are letting yourself in for a bit of a money pit even by LR standards.

You should bear in mind some Camel stuff is rare & expensive so you may not manage to properly restore it.

Another factor is that there are more Camel trucks about than LR built, certain people seem to keep finding Camel 110's and Discos that were presumed missing/crushed, so check very carefully. The Camel club are a nice and very knowledgeable bunch, but you are letting yourself in for a bit of a money pit even by LR standards.

Forget the Camel buy a CSK instead. Great Cudos and gets you noticed. :rolleyes: And the best LR product and I promise I'm not bias :D

IMHO many people over-rate camels, they are as V8Bertha says a good expedition vehicle but all the extra gear makes them heavy and hence not great off-road compared to a bog standard truck.

If you want something with some history, something for overlanding and greenlaning then great. If you want to go playing, chop it about etc. then you will either be devaluing the truck massively (and incurring the wrath of the purists) or just not getting as far as a standard truck.

For once i have to agree with John

They were most of the time well over loaded and with Land Rover Springs that made then fun, in the least to drive. On most of the events if the trucks we driving on Uk highway the police would have a feild day with the over weight issue.

They are now at least 12 years old for the youngest one . and also the amount of idiots that run around with One Life Live It on there sheds Of discos and other trucks has sort of lost the meaning of the Camel trophy. Don't get me wrong i love the camel trophy and what it was and what it stod for. I had the Shirts, watches, and all the DVD's / Videos and all the carp (apart from the car) but knew alot of people ( and still do) in the camel club . And the trucks (at their time) were like nothing else around at the time. BUT my 90 and 110 that i have now are better set up for touring and doing stuff they did on the Camel trophy than the camel trophy trucks are . The trucks are also well over priced second hand when you consider they are just a 110, disco or rangie that has a roof rack , twin batteries , a bull bar and winch ,snorkle and few other toys , and have been thrashed by a somone who did not care in the middle of a jungle in gods know where

If you want an image they are hard to beat in the Land Rover world.

Otherwise, abused and over rated. You could spec a standard vehicle up to the same level for less than a genuine Camel will cost and it will be much newer and not thrashed through the jungle etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts - in the order they struck me on looking at that ad:

1) Christmas tree;

2) an invitation to the light fingered (whole vehicle or its baubles) so probably only of interest to a collector;

3) unlikely to be an investment but at that price only likely to be of interest to someone expecting to recoup sell for more than they paid;

4) not likely to appeal to a collector due to non original paint and engine.

On Camels generally my view is that the premium you pay to own one means they are probably for cosseting rather than using and if you want a modified vehicle to use then it will be more fun and cheaper to get a standard vehicle and modify it to your spec.

I know they are well thought of but i guess he doesnt want to actually sell it

£65K!

There's enough mugs in the world to buy that. On a certain level I think I can identify with it, although my bucket of bolts cost be 1/16th of that one, i still got ripped off! :)

This ones a little more tame but a tad more real:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400095803664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Camel trophy are very nice landys but not that nice.. although if thats whats they are going to fetch in the future things are looking up for us all I will hang on to my series one for a few more years.....