Head torch HELP please

mmgemini

I suspect a broken wire.

We've had a bit of a problem with both of them. Margarets in particular.

thought the batteries had flattened on hers morethan one. Today they both got pulled out of the cupboard, neither worked so I checked the batteries. The batteriers test fine, so I put them in another light which worked perfectly. They don't even switch on.

Mind you they are six years old and have had over a years use with the southern African trips alone,

What's the LED Lensors like ?

With that firm I think it's worth gambling the cost of the postage to send them back and ask what they think the problem is. Tell them the story, multiple trips to Africa amounting to 12 months use etc, and see what response you get.

Not that I use their stuff at all, I just have the impression they think it's better than average, so give them the opportunity to step up to the plate.

Good Luck

I suspect a broken wire.

We've had a bit of a problem with both of them. Margarets in particular.

thought the batteries had flattened on hers morethan one. Today they both got pulled out of the cupboard, neither worked so I checked the batteries. The batteriers test fine, so I put them in another light which worked perfectly. They don't even switch on.

Mind you they are six years old and have had over a years use with the southern African trips alone,

What's the LED Lensors like ?

Could always send then back to PETZL with a NICE letter saying how great blah......, you may get 2 free ones back for the price of postage! ;) use the fORCE... (well charm anyway!)

LED Lenser head torch is a very good bit of kit BUT (and its a big but) they have a design fault with the cable as it leaves the battery box. Ours has now gone back for the 2nd time in 6 months (2 year gaurentee!) with the same fault of a broken wire due to movement where the cable leaves the rear mounted battery box. The company I bought offf have been very good about it though and this time have said that LED Lenser realise they have a problem and are redesigning the battery box. I will get a new type lamp as soon as they are there. In the meantime might I suggest you check out the new Clu-liteCree LED head torch. Not tried it but all their other lamps are top quality so might be worth a punt? And british company too so helping the economy by doing so! :)

I've got 3 Alpkit Gamma's, and would not hesitate to buy another. I've had Petzl and Energizer headlights, but the Alpkit is the best value for money I have found and has more features too. It has a lower power white LED as well as the 1 watt luxeon for longer battery life, and a very bright red and green LED for preserving night vision.

I switched from Petzl to a Lenser single LED. Damn it was bright! I was able to walk a few miles cross country in the pitch black of the Welsh countryside at midnight in winter, something I wouldn't normally want to do. It is light weight but still has a habit of slipping off my head when I am upside down. I have too much hair I think.

I have found that batteries last and then suddenly get very dim very quickly when they are spent. When out and about I carry spare batteries as there is little indication of impending flat batteries.

One thing I would like to change is to be able to use it as a stand alone. My old Petzl was able to clip together to make a stand lamp. The lenser, however I try to stand it up, always turns lens to the floor after a few seconds.

I've got a Petzl Tikka in each vehicle and the switch on mine seems to be the weak point, one of them is a bit flickery. May be dirt ingress I think. What I do like about them is they are so compact, I couldn't be doing with one of the ones with a damn great battery pack on the back of your skull, it would just get in the way, as the old style bulky head torches used to (and then fall off).

I have no experience of the LED Lenser headtorches but if they are anything like the Police Tech Focus (of which I have two) then it will be bloody bright. As above though, the PTF suddenly goes very dim when the batteries get down, and you don't get anything like the claimed 50 hour battery life if you want it anywhere near full brightness. I don't begrudge a new set of batteries after 10 hours or so.

I've got about 10 torches so I don't think I can justify another one :ph34r:

Mike

I have found the £8-10 Ever Ready Energizer LED Head Torches to be very reliable they use 3AAA batteries, all in the head unit, 3 light intensities and a red for night map work.

So light I don't even notice it's on my head.

Don't spend a fortune, LED's are constantly improving, with newer better models appearing constantly. I'd wait until the development phase levels out then buy once mass manufacture brings the prices in range.

John

Hi Mike,

I have bought a number of LED head torches from the local 'cheap' shop. They take 3X AAA Batteries in the head unit and have 7 LEDs (the number in use is selectable), the batteries last for ages and they are so cheap I am happy to leave them tucked away anywhere they might come in useful. Some have been in very regular use every winter for the last couple of years and have been on many camping and foreign trips and are still working.

I agree with John, I wouldn't spend much money, as I don't believe the difference between the cheapest £4 ones and the £40+ is warranted, though I accept that some of the ones in this thread probably have a longer range.

Regards,

Diff

I've got an LED Lenser Headfire revolution... cost about £18 from costco.

It is dim-able, and has the option of a red LED to preserve night vision, it is as Bright as my D-Cell LED Mag-lite, and is my default choice for camping these days.

I'd certainly recommend it... great value for money.

Its just a shame I can't find a rubber strap for it as i'd like to use it for work on my hard hat...

Does anyone know of anything that is as compact as the petzl zipca? I am on my third one now, and absolutely love it, and really can't be going back to one with a headstrap - the zipca's strap recoils back into itself, so it just sits in your pocket untill you need it... it's just the tech has moved on now, so should be able to get better light, but they all have large straps and even battery packs by the look of it...

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just got myself another nitecore and headstrap. Single AA and variable brightness. I also have a fenix. Both are super bright or dim with variable levels. Both fit the headstrap. Both take a single AA.

The fenix runs 100 plus hours as does the Nitecore on dim. About 30 hours on good levels and a lot shorther on full brightness but then again we are talking car headlight brightness of full. Just checked and its 1 hour on full with the nitecore at 145 lumens.