SNORKELS ..........

I didn't really like any of the manufactured snorkels, as I think that they stick out too far at the side, and are rather too easily smacked by passing trees or rocks. I very much liked Turbocharger's simple snorkel. He has got hold of a snorkel top (from Matt Savage, and a short length of cheaply and easily replaceable black drainpipe, and fitted them to his front cage. There is then a piece of flexible conduit connecting the bottom of that pipe to his normal air cleaner inside the engine bay. The only thing that I didn't like was the slapdash (student) way that he has routed the flexible pipe. He has cut the bonnet away - a more direct route, but which causes difficulty any time he opens the bonnet. I have cut a hole in the top rearmost part of the wing. I then fed the pipe down, and then across the hold designed for the original place for the air inlet pipe. From there it just goes to the original air cleaner. It isn't the most direct route, and I'm sure that John's (Turbocharger) gets more air into the engine, but then if your motor has a snorkel on it, you probably aren't worried about the 0-60 times. Here is a small picture of what I have done. I'm very happy with it, but then I'm sure that other people would want something a little prettier.

corner.jpg

Guest diesel_jim

Here's my efforts:

the 90 has twin el-cheapo ones (Rebel bits and bobs) although they're both the same:

c168b84c.jpg

The 110 has a gen-you-whine mantec/LR type, which fits over the air intake grill on the side of the wing. you've got to seal the inner pipework for it to be 100% pukka. (i've done about 50% of it so far! :unsure: )

4fea979c.jpg

the EMLRA sell the marines 110/90 air intake bits too, picked some up at Billing last year. they go through the heater intake on the top of the wing (on RHD vehicles), on LHD the grill won't be used though.

Wing%20Mounted%20Pipe%20WPG%209562%20%.jpg

Wing%20Mounted%20Pipe%20WPG%209562%20£35.jpg

Cowl%20fitting%20guide.jpg

(Found at the bottom of this page)

I've just got a Safari one to make things properly waterproof. Not really worth a photo - but somewhere on here is a thread with photos about all the holes I found in the 300Tdi air filter can ... might be worth giving yours a check in the same sorts of places? there were about 4 different places in the "sealed" can which could let water in!!

Guest diesel_jim
Blimey Gelf, I like your snorkel m8!

Don't leave your motor unattended when I'm about 'cos I'll steal it.

I have the same snorkel as Diesel Jim, but mine is cleaner, blingier, better fitted, sexier lookinger !

Les. :D

Only sexier until either one of us gets into our vehicles, then i'd beat you hands down!!! :D:D

Nige, you need a BIG snorkel although, personally, I'd go for 2. I'm doing a rear snorkel on mine to solve the tree and under bonnet pipework issues but that isn't really feasible with a hardtop. I like Safaris (the best gasflowed snorkel, no contest) as they're VERY strong but the are vunerable. I've thought about sinking one into the wing which I think would help a lot. The other advantage of them is they can be tweaked quite a bit with a hot air gun.

snorkel.JPG

Rebel top section zip tied to the rollcage, Rebel flex bit attaches to a 90deg Stainless bend, standard intake hose under bonnet. Simple.

The Stainless bend is held tight between the heater and washer bottle as the bonnet shuts.

Will :)

Heres mine - I smashed the Safari one so I made this instead.

Now having 2nd opinions about the metal as once its bent - its bent and very restrictive.

Just 3'' exhaust pipe with mandrel bends cut to suit and the safari head

100_0282.jpg

100_0646.jpg

Dave.