Grrrrr - A Weekends worth of Fabrication....

Good Grief............... as Charlie Brown used to say :(

This weekend saw the "Start" of the Snorkel, but definately NOT the end.....Madness :huh:

A weekends work, ..............

Erm - now I have :

A floor of cut up bits of shaped pipes,

Some scrap,

Some grinding dics worn out,

...a nice "Nick" on me paw where a handsaw got me,

and maybe the basis of a snorkel for the V8 :):huh:

Problem is that being a 4.5 V8 it needs a LOT of air, according to Mr Eales "The Guru" around 80mm absolute minimum, 80-85mm best - so that ruled out most bought systems,

I was not 101% happy with the side mount type, plus don't have that on my wings, so might as well make me own I said....

Ho Hum - the snorkels pipe is 90mm OD 1.5mm steel exhaust pipe, which have been earmarked for this project "for some very considerable time" :rolleyes:

but - I just CANNOT belive that the enclosed photos represent a weekends work ! :unsure:

A flat plate with holes drilled in - this replaces the "Vent plastic bit", this will have a hole bored into it, then some pipework welded the other side, then some tube to the air box.

on the outside on the plate is along with the plate the result of a weekends efforts :angry: and only tacked up

Seems to fit, its going to take some getting used to.

Am thinking the 'top' will have a box assembly bit like Moglites Ibex, so plenty of air.

Afewbitsofpipe-001Medium.jpg

Afewbitsofpipe-002Medium.jpg

Now going to hit the beer :rolleyes:

I am not even thinking how long to finish, ...as with all things like this I thought "A weekend - maybe 2" :lol: ......

Kin Fabrication, takes AGES :angry:

Nige

Looks nice, Nige. Annother option for the top is a Safari one. The plastic's readily workable so you should be able to flex a 3" one out nicely. Plus, you won't break it or peminantly deform it on tree.

I somehow dont think that you will pull it out to an extra 15mm :rolleyes:

Nige,

I thought you would have at least used gaffer tape for the top bracket …………. masking tape isn’t waterproof :P

Ian

Guest diesel_jim

I appreciate the hard work you've put into it, but what about these that you can buy off the shelf Billing EMLRA stall.....

pipe.jpg

Guest diesel_jim
Sorry jim but thats ugly!vomit-smiley-003.gif

Yeah.... thats why the one i bought last year is still sat in a box in the garage!! :rolleyes:

anybody want to buy an,ahem, smart looking snorkel pipe bit? B)

I somehow dont think that you will pull it out to an extra 15mm :rolleyes:

You wouldn't think so but I'd put money on it working. I don't know what sort of plastic they use for them but they are impressive; I've broken the jubilee clip before but never damaged the top and even went you bend them well out of shape (and I mean seriously) mine's always returned to shape in about 5 minutes.

You wouldn't think so but I'd put money on it working. I don't know what sort of plastic they use for them but they are impressive; I've broken the jubilee clip before but never damaged the top and even went you bend them well out of shape (and I mean seriously) mine's always returned to shape in about 5 minutes.

Hmmm

Hows £50 I can't **** it up them William :lol:

nothing like a seriously good stretchin' is there :P

somehow 90mm od I think is not poss

Paypal available :D

Nige

Andy,

In a way your right, cept the other side has the 90s heater duct under the grill, and the engine has the AFM tubing etc passenger side....

On that basis I din't cos it would be a plumbers nightnmare, worse that the drivers side, only have the Servo Header tank, hyd winch pipes to work around, but there is a gap in there I'm sure !

This way there is a short run then to the AirBox, hence why this side. And as for the roar, have you not been in it ?....as BB sais Eales + Simex sounded to him like a spitfire on overrun, doubt the roar will even be audible :lol:

I pondered "How To" on this for Ages......your option was preferable but next to impossible :angry:

Kin Fabrication !

Nige

Yes I remember making the Spitfire comment, was gonna say "on" the test drive but I think it was actually "after" not being able to hear much at the time :D

Hope you are gonna do a wikked sorted innit twin exit exhaust in the same bore once you have finished? :ph34r:

Nige,

did u have really long tea breaks or summat?

did it really take u all weekend to cut 4 bits of tube and tack them together? :rolleyes:

If he's like me it takes ages to come up with the design/drawings deciding what and seeing how to do it etc actual cutting tacking and welding is not that long................. thats what its like for me anyway

:D

Cheers

Steve