Axle refurb

LR90

OK, good news is I've managed to get a disked braked axle to build up for the 90 and it came cheap :)

Bad news is its pretty scabby so I'm looking for ideas on cleaning it up and getting some protection on it before it is built back up and fitted.

Left to my own devices I think I'll be using elbow grease, wire brush and a couple of coatings of two pack epoxy.

Are there any better suggestions? Don't think shotblast and galv would work as it would end up with galv in places I didn't want it.

Used to be a container refurb place in Wigan that would do a great blast and isocyanide(?) spray that would have been ideal (though you had no say in the colour) but rather far away now. Anything similar in Hants?

Anyway, ideas/suggestions/recommendations welcome.

Im a fan of shotblasting but unless you get a blaster that knows what to hit hard and what not to - and will mask all threads, seals etc that you dont want destroyed I would go with the grinder route - a cup brush and a flat brush can work wonders, a good degreasing before you start will make life easier as will putting the axle on trestles and securing it well,

paint wise you can't beat 2 pack (IMHO) but a good, cheap and tough alternative is Bodyline chassis paint, thin it slightly and its goes on a treat, takes a day to reach a "soft" cure but within a couple of days you can beat the pooh out of it and it still comes back shiny :)

I went the blasting route and then had it zinc plated. It looked good to begin with, but the after one winter, the zinc plating had gone very crappy and rusty. From everything I have done on my landy, the only thing which worked long time was galvanize. So I think that would be the way to go. Anyone here has experience with galvanizing axle cases?

Daan

You could go for a hot zinc spray - just as it sounds - that way only the bits you want coated get a coating leaving gasket surfaces, threads etc. alone. My feeling is that plenty of good quality paint will be ample. I back that up on mine with copious oil leaks. :) What about powder coat? That is well tough but will be damaged by dragging over rocks and stuff.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim

I always get my casings shotblasted. (i've got one ready to do actually.. that reminded me!), but shot blasting IMO is much better than wire brushing, which just seems to "polish" the rusty bits and smooth them out.

at least with shot blasting the item comes back with a surface that the paint can stick to VERY well.

costs about £20~ for an axle casing.

I went the blasting route and then had it zinc plated. It looked good to begin with, but the after one winter, the zinc plating had gone very crappy and rusty. From everything I have done on my landy, the only thing which worked long time was galvanize. So I think that would be the way to go. Anyone here has experience with galvanizing axle cases?

Daan

Galvanizing

Do you not risk it twisting or changing shape

Most things I get done change shape the heaver the steel the more likely it is to twist etc.

I could be wrong with somthing as small as a axle.

Just doing my series 3 axles.

Wire brush attachment fitted to angle grinder will get them back to bare metal.

Then rust proof using the Hammerite rust proofer from Halfords which neutralises any remaining rust. Its a white liquid which doesn't need to be washed off.

Then I've sprayed with a rich zinc primer, Unidox zinc rich Primer from Witham Oil and Paint 01502 563434. It came out the number 1 for rust proofing in a car mag test years ago. Tin is mega heavy cos there is so much zinc in it.

Gonna follow that off with a couple of coats of normal primer and then several coats of chassis black, the synthetic stuff - doesn't chip like hammerite. Thats if it ever stops raining :angry: Not enough room in the garage, so the axles are on stands under a tarp on the drive...

Wow, thanks for the input everyone.

Sounds like I'll need to search out that grinders thread and replace my burnt out bosch unless I can turn up a local shot blasters.

Wow, thanks for the input everyone.

Sounds like I'll need to search out that grinders thread and replace my burnt out bosch unless I can turn up a local shot blasters.

Quob farm in wickham ;)