Winch thefts

Rob110

You could use some of these:

nut.jpg

Which will be launched shortly by a company somewhere near here!

winch.jpg

Both the silver and blue bit are perfectly round and smooth with no edges to grip on. The blue bit is free to spin on the silver bit once tightened. They are removable and re-usable using the supplied key. They will be available in M10 only, for bumper bolts and winch mounting bolts.

This isn't really an advert - as they have not been launched yet more a give-away / competition!

I will give a free set of four plus a key to the first person who can correctly explain how the torque is transmitted from the key to the nut (remember both bits are circular and smooth).

It does not use friction and the key will transmit enough torque to shear an M12 bolt.

Si

UMMMM very sexy how much Simon send me 12 please :D

Turbocharger and Tonka (by PM) are closest.

kit.jpg

You can see how the thread and boss on the silver 'nut' part are off centre a little. However, the bore of the blue bit is concentric.

The blue bit keeps the outside circumference of the key concentric with the thread. The inner circumference of the key is offset to match the nut. As you rotate the key on the nut, the outer circumference tries to move off centre, but is stopped by the blue bit - so the only thing that can happen so long as the blue bit is strong enough is the nut starts to turn.

key%20nut%20dis.jpg

Quite simple really.

There are several different offsets of key - but it is not intended to be 'High' security. The idea is that it's hard to remove quietly without a key. The blue bit is tapered and free to rotate - so hard to grip and useless even if you do.

If you chisel off the blue bit, you have a circular bit which is also hard to grip tightly enough to turn.

The best bit is that it's pretty hard to fathom how it works when you look at it! Spanners, Stilsons & Mole grips - are not going to help very much in removing it.

By design, the keys are bulky & heavy - so a pocket full of them is going to attract attention! 'Are you please to see me or are you here to steal my winch?'

If Turbo & Tonka PM me their address - there will be some in the post!

Si

Hi Simon

When can we expect to see these on your website?

• 3 weeks later...

Tried contacting X-Eng but no response. :(

I didn't get a message as far as I know?

Turbocharger had problems fitting his - so I was waiting for feedback from other users. I don't want to send out hundreds and be inundated with requests for help.

Any feedback?

Si

I didn't get a message as far as I know?

Turbocharger had problems fitting his - so I was waiting for feedback from other users. I don't want to send out hundreds and be inundated with requests for help.

Fair enough, please keep us posted :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've fitted my X-Nuts!

Greased up the socket, bolt and blue collar, took out one of the winch bumper bolts and put this in and tightened it up. A little difficult to get the socket out, but I think it was more to do with the suction of the grease, so used a pair of mole grips to gently wiggle it out. After it came out it was quite easy to put back in to remove it again. Also fitted one to the winch on the underside of the bumper.

Who else has fitted there's?!

Steve

Thanks Steve.

If you want to post a 'Test' set to me, I am quite happy to carry out an evaluation and provide you with some feedback ;)

I've sent out over a dozen free sets and thus far I have feedback from two people. I have a feeling that people are reluctant to be negative over a free thing.

Si

ok bear with me simon and i will try explain the prob that i had with set you very kindly let us have. i found that the blue collar gets jammed if the surface that it bolts up to is not dead flat, if the nose on the silver nut that goes through the blue collar was bit longer this may work? the socket gets so thight that i had to drill and tap the center and use a slide hammer to get the socket out hope this helps steve.

Thanks Steve.

I've sent out over a dozen free sets and thus far I have feedback from two people. I have a feeling that people are reluctant to be negative over a free thing.

Si

Strange really as feedback doen't need to be given back on a public forum, but the whole idea is for you to learn and improve the product from feedback, as in many ways there is nothing worse that everyone saying yes they are fine. Negative feedback can actually be very positive as it allows you identify probelems and rectify them, so come on every one get your comments in to Si, to give him a chance to develop the product so we can then buy them!!

Anyway having not seen the product, my biggest concern would be mud and silt getting between the nut and the outer cone section, which over time and with drying out, could solidify and make it difficult to undo the fixings?? Just a thought..

Si

That is really dissapointing on your side

You are good enough to give free samples surely to god those who have had freebies could / should

/ ought to out of decency give you feedback good or bad, prob Via PM

So, those who have had freebies reading this who haven't given Si

feedback, shame on you :P and do it now :) ?

Nige

PS - Si the X Anchor I bought from you at Peterborough is cr*p :rofl: OK :D