Winch thefts

Rob110

hi, all the keys would have to be different other wise it would be pointless, thieves would just buy a set, just a thought, defender dinky

Not really, 99% of theft can be stopped with just a deterrent, if that is a shiny thing that the hoodie attempting to undo doesn't work with a spanner, he will move on.

I think TC probably has it...

Not really, 99% of theft can be stopped with just a deterrent, if that is a shiny thing that the hoodie attempting to undo doesn't work with a spanner, he will move on.

I think TC probably has it...

wondering if the key grabs the upper part and pulls it down to lock on to the underside like a lightbulb affect and then you put a m10 stud in it, just letting my imagination run away with me. :):lol: defender dinky

Turbocharger and Tonka (by PM) are closest.

kit.jpg

You can see how the thread and boss on the silver 'nut' part are off centre a little. However, the bore of the blue bit is concentric.

The blue bit keeps the outside circumference of the key concentric with the thread. The inner circumference of the key is offset to match the nut. As you rotate the key on the nut, the outer circumference tries to move off centre, but is stopped by the blue bit - so the only thing that can happen so long as the blue bit is strong enough is the nut starts to turn.

key%20nut%20dis.jpg

Quite simple really.

There are several different offsets of key - but it is not intended to be 'High' security. The idea is that it's hard to remove quietly without a key. The blue bit is tapered and free to rotate - so hard to grip and useless even if you do.

If you chisel off the blue bit, you have a circular bit which is also hard to grip tightly enough to turn.

The best bit is that it's pretty hard to fathom how it works when you look at it! Spanners, Stilsons & Mole grips - are not going to help very much in removing it.

By design, the keys are bulky & heavy - so a pocket full of them is going to attract attention! 'Are you please to see me or are you here to steal my winch?'

If Turbo & Tonka PM me their address - there will be some in the post!

Si

Hey would look really cool if the but end looked just like an unused shotgun cartridge - would make one damn well keep clear wouldn't it :unsure: just in case !!

That's a cool idea! I like that!

I'd not thought about the name really - not spent enough time in the pub to come up with something suitably silly! X-Nuts I like - it kind of goes with X-Shaft ;)

X-Centric is good too - the only trouble with it is most people would not understand the significance.

They are not on the web site yet - but it's on my to-do list for next week.

Si

You could make them really expensive and call it X-torsion? :) PM on its way, ta Si!

That's what the Anti-Roll bar was going to be called ;). Decided it was just asking for trouble though!

Si

How much are these going to be Si? I've had lights nicked off my truck before, and a guy near me had his safari snorkel nicked from his disco in the same week so I've been after something like this for a while.

Any chance of a nut and bolt version so you can secure bumpers onto disco's/rrc? I was thinking something like the standard bolt you have, perhaps a bit longer, and then a similar thing for the nut but with quite a long internal thread that the bolt can screw into?

How do make any money with giving all this stuff away?? The free x-anchor you gave me and mocha on this forum a while back has been proving its worth!!!

The free x-anchor you gave me and mocha on this forum a while back has been proving its worth!!!

Free things are usually good value!

The bolts will be £19.99 for four plus a key. They are only available in M10 (so suitable for Winch Mounts / bumper bolts) and can be used as a nut or a bolt. The 'nut' part has a blind hole so you can glue a piece of studding into it to make it a bolt, or just use it as a nut. I'm supplying some 8.8 grade bolts that I intend be cut down and used as studding as it's almost impossible to get studding that is not made from Chocolate!

If they go well, I'll look at an M8 & M6 version - though M6 may be pushing the bounds of machining tolerances.

Si

Hey would look really cool if the but end looked just like an unused shotgun cartridge - would make one damn well keep clear would'nt it :unsure: just in case !!

nut.jpg

Special12.jpg

You know he will call it X-cap (unfired) :)

X-shell? Say it aloud...

Chris

Free things are usually good value!

it's almost impossible to get studding that is not made from Chocolate!

Naaah, not true Si - Grade 8.8 studding is readily available. Comes in handy :unsure: 1m lengths!

It is however true that a lot of studding is indeed chocolate. So be sure to be specific when you are asking for it and walk away if you get a blank look when you mention 8.8...... :lol:

Naaah, not true Si - Grade 8.8 studding is readily available. Comes in handy :unsure: 1m lengths!

It is however true that a lot of studding is indeed chocolate. So be sure to be specific when you are asking for it and walk away if you get a blank look when you mention 8.8...... :lol:

I know that Charles - however, a lot of the supposedly high tensile studding I've bought has still turned out to be chocolate. The trouble is it's difficult to identify - so I think occasionally suppliers might give you the wrong thing - by mistake, obviously.

At least with a bolt it's stamped on the end!

Si