Winch thefts

Rob110

Hi all

I had my EP9 superwinch and Plasma rope stolen off the front of my Landy on the 1st of May. It was about 9 months old.

They hacked through the cables and and even stole the bolts right in front of my house with security lights and street lights.

My mate down the road has just phoned me and his Goodwinch tds has been stolen off the front of his last night as well as his PDA and Wallet out of the cubby box.

Hacked through his cables and unbolted it, even though one bolt was tack welded (obviously not good enough)

I was insured but his is not!!

The police are not bothered.

I would advise everyone with a winch to weld at least two bolts proberly.

If you catch them in the kidderminster area trying to steal your winch, please kill them on site and i will help you dispose of the bodys.

Absolute scum

I suspect a small tack weld would just snap off once you swing a breaker bar off it.

Would a better approach not be to use proper security bolts?

Something like these:

http://www.securityfastenersandfixings.co.uk/Info/shear-bolts-19.aspx

http://www.securityfastenersandfixings.co.uk/Info/shear-nuts-security-nuts-16.aspx

http://www.securityfasteners.net/kinmarpermanentsecurityboltsandnuts.htm

I guess though, if they're actually half way competent they'll have a battery powered grinder with them. :(

How about etching (dremel) your reg number in a prominent place on the winch so that it becomes obvious it is a nicked one when it turns up on Ebay? Ive done this with my trailer and chain saws (postcode) Just makes it a little less attractive

You could use some of these:

nut.jpg

Which will be launched shortly by a company somewhere near here!

winch.jpg

Both the silver and blue bit are perfectly round and smooth with no edges to grip on. The blue bit is free to spin on the silver bit once tightened. They are removable and re-usable using the supplied key. They will be available in M10 only, for bumper bolts and winch mounting bolts.

This isn't really an advert - as they have not been launched yet more a give-away / competition!

I will give a free set of four plus a key to the first person who can correctly explain how the torque is transmitted from the key to the nut (remember both bits are circular and smooth).

It does not use friction and the key will transmit enough torque to shear an M12 bolt.

Si

Met up with this guy the other day while on holiday.

Said he would like to do some off roading and when I offered he said he would like to be my winch bitch.

This is him collecting a little parcel for me yesterday that got delayed at the couriers head office :o

BlackDragonTNT.jpg

Turns out that he needs little sleep and has no problem watching over my truck and winch etc while it's parked.

He reckons that even Orcs think twice about nicking his stuff, Sounds like a plan I thought!!

Eats a lot though so maybe I need to move to a rougher neighborhood :lol::lol:

Lara

...The police are not bothered.

Sorry to hear of your recent theft etc.

Please could you give more information about your comment re long/short arm of the law ?

I know a lot of bobbies who would beg to differ, but if your dealings with the local police has not been satisfactory, it would help to know whay ?

I think the police have a difficult job to do, as it's not up to them to prosecute people, it's down to the Crown Prosecution Service, who will only take a case to court if it's definitely winnable, otherwise it costs too much (take the case today of Ian Tomlinson)

the police know that unless they've got a definite case against someone it's not really worth nicking them, and even with that, the scrotes who are out robbing aren't bothered about a couple of weeks inside, occupational hazard innit?

i reckon sometimes the best thing we can do is what we do anyway; communicate and keep each other aware of what security's recommended and whats going on where, at least that gives us an idea if there's things happening in a particular area etc...

though if i had a winch i'd be very tempted to wire it up to the mains at night....!

I think the clue is in the first picture - the collar isn't loose, it's off-centre. I think the key has a tapered outer shape to fit the collar, and a crescent shape to fill the gap between the inner fastener and the collar.

If the 'key' fills the crescent shaped gap it will lock the inner bolt to the collar gently, by friction (or aided by a taper on the crescent, though that would need an end-load to lock it and would be more difficult to machine cheaply). The friction is just enough to prevent the collar turning - because the collar is eccentric, the main torque is then transmitted as a perpendicular contact force around the outer circumference of the collar - the crescent also providing a positive location (and the collar is sufficiently eccentric) to ensure that the bolt turns before the smaller frictional torque between the key and the collar is overcome.

I've got a pair of toilet tubes in front of me now, one stuffed inside the other, and me working out how to turn one through the other... :)

Do they work the same way that the movable weights in a golf club work. these are guarenteed not to work loose but do not use friction, to hold them in place. If you want a detailed description I have no idea I even took one apart once to have a look, I would love to know how it does actually work.

You could use some of these:

nut.jpg

Which will be launched shortly by a company somewhere near here!

winch.jpg

Both the silver and blue bit are perfectly round and smooth with no edges to grip on. The blue bit is free to spin on the silver bit once tightened. They are removable and re-usable using the supplied key. They will be available in M10 only, for bumper bolts and winch mounting bolts.

This isn't really an advert - as they have not been launched yet more a give-away / competition!

I will give a free set of four plus a key to the first person who can correctly explain how the torque is transmitted from the key to the nut (remember both bits are circular and smooth).

It does not use friction and the key will transmit enough torque to shear an M12 bolt.

Si

hi, all the keys would have to be different other wise it would be pointless, thieves would just buy a set, just a thought, defender dinky