Re-Con Gearboxes

Andy at AW is a really good, honest and knowledgeable bloke. Had a couple of dealings with him, opened up the shop for me out of hours to return my old t-box, customer service you just don't get these days. Can't fault the re-conned box or the service, top notch!

I'm not affiliated to AW at all but try my best to keep the small local guys going, use when ever I can in my area. I would not try to fault Ashcrofts at all but people do often assume that just because you pay more, the product will be of higher quality. Bigger companies charge what they can, all comes back to supply and demand. Their reputation, which they have successfully built up over the years to their credit, allows them to charge 'premium' prices. If there was no competition, prices would go up even more.

I am still a student, so maybe price is more of a concern to me than others but when my gearbox falls over, which it is starting to show signs, I know where I'll be parting with my cash safe in the knowledge that the product is equal to the best money can buy, AW! :)

• 2 years later...

A bit of a thread revival here.

I'm looking to get a recon LT77 soon and my first port of call was Ashcrofts but their prices are very steep and I'm on a tight budget (I'm having to sell things just to afford the new box).

I've looked at AWTransmissions and their prices are much more competitive. I was wondering how the recon box that the OP bought was after he fitted it and whether anyone else has used AWTransmissions.

Thanks

JB

slightly OT but i have a knackard Ashcroft Transfer box that failed within its warranty but that was over 12mths ago, with the situation, how approachable will ash crofts be with the situation?

Hi Landy Novice,

Firstly I am sorry to hear that this unit has had problems within 12 months of it being purchased,

It is unusual to wait over 12 months before notifying us of a problem, but if you would like us to look at it I would ask you to send it in for inspection and I will have a look at what has happened,

Our usual policy if a unit has a problem after a 12 month period would be to offer an 'at cost repair' , this translates to us doing the labour free of charge and charging for only the carriage and our cost of the parts which typically is £100-£150 + v,

We get all kinds of 'warranties', I am not suggesting your problem is not genuine but some we have had are :

" I bought a 3K auto kit for my defender from you and now it only does 20 mph, you have ruined my landrover, I want my money back", I down tools, drive 150 miles to see this irate customer and find he has it in low range, I don't even get an apology,

" my gearbox has broken and its only just over 12 months old" , actually sir you bought that 6 years ago, sorry but that's an average lifespan,

" my diff has broken, I've only had it 6 months" the bearing have failed as you are running it on a mixture of mud and water,

" my transfer case is stuck in diff lock" that's because you didn't lock it when you were off road and have blown the centre diff,

Don't get me wrong, sometimes parts fail and sometimes we build it wrong but a good 50% of 'warranties' are fitting issues/ misdiagnosis,

We do take customer care seriously and I always try to put myself in the customers shoes and give them the benefit of the doubt where possible, I don't think we would be where we are now if we didn't treat customers fairly,

Dave Ashcroft

Sadly in this world you do often get what you pay for

If it sounds to cheap to be true it prob is

Cowboys come go and come again some peeps are frankly to stupid to see that they are going to get ripped off the cowboys don't care they move on

There are a few and I mean a few companies who try their best to do the right thing offer good if not great service and build a solid and proud reputation for outstanding service x-eng being one and Ashcrofts another

This does not mean their prices are high because they then feel they can rip peeps off because of their wonderful reputation more the prices are what they are due to overheads proper parts and costs in rebuilding reinvestment and growth and a bit of profit and not skimping on the job done and the cost of warranty as nobody gets it right 100% of the time

I have dealt with ashcrofts for 20 yrs and will still have them as my port of call if (ooooer when) my lt85 decides the 5.2 is enough and doesn't want to play anymore .....

Just me 2p worth

N

Thanks Nige,

I'm not doubting Ashcroft's reputation or quality at all, as I say they were my first port of call and Dave responded to my enquiry very quickly.

My truck is my daily runner and its been off the road for about a month now. I just can't afford an Ashcroft recon, no matter how good they are, so have to look at alternatives. Either that or sell my truck as a non runner and only get a fraction of its value (hell will freeze over first!!)

If anyone has any experience of AW Transmissions I would be grateful for your feedback.

Thanks folks

JB

I feel bad now, just re-read my original post and I said Ashcrofts prices were too steep. Perhaps unfair and I should have said 'too steep for what I can afford to spend'

Sorry Ashcrofts!

Hi,

if you wanted to keep the cost down you could steam clean it and drop it in for a repair, the cost would depend on whats required but this is usually cheaper than a full rebuild,

Dave