Is this an insane idea........??

Right, at some point in december i will be collecting my new chassis from richards.. i have been thinking about the options for getting it home.... 250 miles.........

Option one, rent a pick up for a day, (or two) and just dump the chassis on the back.....

Option two. borrow a trailer, and tow it up and back behind the defender..... 500 miles round trip, towing.... ie, long way!!

option three. try to borrow a smaller trailer, (ie lower gross weight) and tow it behind my 5series beemer....

option 4, make an A frame that would bolt onto the front af the chassis, fit a rear axle, and tow it home behind the beemer...!

i guess option 3 would be the ideal, less cost etc.... but still towing all day! option 4 is do-able, but is it worth the effort..!

your thoughts....!

option 4, make an A frame that would bolt onto the front af the chassis, fit a rear axle, and tow it home behind the beemer...!

not legal

option 2 is the safest & most secure way & legal way,

you'd need a decent size pick up or van to get it in the loadbed.

or find out if a local haluier would collect as part of a backload, no driving for you then, but no garuntee the new chassis won't get damaged during loading/unloading.

Marsland delivered mine in the back of a big merc sprinter.

Cost about £60 for the delivery, which was well worth it compared with messing around trying to get it home on a trailer etc etc.

If it would only cost that, i wouldn;t even be thinking about other options......... i don;t think anyone would deliver something as big as a chassis 250 miles away for that............!

not legal

option 2 is the safest & most secure way & legal way,

you'd need a decent size pick up or van to get it in the loadbed.

or find out if a local haluier would collect as part of a backload, no driving for you then, but no garuntee the new chassis won't get damaged during loading/unloading.

I cant see anything illegal about towing it back like that?

Yes it wont have brakes... but it will be under 750kg! (I would have though its less than 750kg?)

as long as you have lights, wheels covered etc. :)

option 5 pay a lorry to pick it up, some maybe able to do it on a return journy so give a discount most carge £1per mile one way so would cost £250ish but by the time you drive up and back you'll be 8hr+ and fuel.

i used magnum trasport to pick my 110 up got there number off ebay thers one in plymouth with a hiyab have a look get some prices

I'll talk to richards tomorrow if i get a chance, and see what they say about delivery...............

However, i am tempted by the bolting an axle on option............. cos there's no way it would weight 750kg, and i would clearly have a light board etc......... although possibly not mud gaurds......mmm

Richards themselves delivered my chassis like that, they had a special frame that bolted to the bumper holes, and an axle that went underneath the back end. They towed it down especially for me because they ballsed it up first time! Usually they come on a flatbed with a crane.

They charge a lot for their delivery nowadays, but it's easier than going and getting it yourself.

Well, my time will in essence be free, as i'm getting three weeks with no work over xmas due to my boss going to africa........ so i won't be losing pay to collect it........ just the cost of fuel etc... and a crate of beer for the lend of a trailer maybe... trouble is, all three of the trialers i've been offered are too big and heavy to drag behind the beemer, and i really don;t want to do 500 miles in the 90..... what i;'d also like is to have started the strip down by the time i collect the chassis anyways..............

In what way? If you have the necessary insurance, a rear light board, and the appropriate tow-hitch attachment, then what's the problem with it?

Les.

do you know the weight ? have you asked the supplier how heavy it is ?

if it's over 750 kgs it must have brakes.

and i really don;t want to do 500 miles in the 90

I do nearly 500 miles in a weekend when I head up to my parents, just a day out, done more than 500 in a day Yes in my 110.

I think the new chassis's are about 200kgs......... therefore even with an axle and wheels etc, 750 is way more.........

And........ my back is already not great, so doing 500 miles in standard LR seats is less than an ideal way to spend the day........ driving the truck back from lake windemere when i bouth it was enough to tell me that...LOL!!

90 chassis is about 200kgs as above.

K88 makes a valid point though, unless you managed to attach the A-Frame directly to the axle for the trip down :P

I'm about 70 miles from Marslands, so 60 quid for delivery is probably fair? I also had to wait a week or two until they had a few of them to deliver up this way in one go.

Its probably worth calling them and asking the question, they may just have much better delivery terms than richards. I guess they save money by just sending a bloke in a van, rather than a flatbed lorry with a crane attached etc.

My Richards chassis was delivered by them, for I think £75 five years ago. I lived in Bristol then so it was over 200 miles. The guy was driving a Peugeot estate and had the axle and A frame as described. Mine was last drop and it had supported another few for delivery on the way.

You can then spend your time stripping the Landy down whilst waiting for it. That's what I was doing with mine, by the time the new one mine was all in bits ready to move the new one into place.

If you do tow it behing your 5series then you might have a problem getting your axle, wheels and A frame there.

:P

Hiring a van isn't expensive these days, but if you've been offered a trailer to tow behind the 90 then surely that has to be the cheapest option :blink: Guarantee when your stood there in the rain after a 250 mile drive, trying to bolt the axle and a frame on, you'll be wishing you'd just taken a trailer :ph34r:

Well, i rang richards today, and she quoted 160 quid plus the vat for delivery, so thats the way i'm going, its never worth all the agro to save a few quid, i'd rather spend a day in bed than kill myself for next to nothing........ 4-6 weeks and i'll have a new chassis, i'll still wait to change it over xmas, as i have 3 weeks off anyway....!

Well, i rang richards today, and she quoted 160 quid plus the vat for delivery, so thats the way i'm going, its never worth all the agro to save a few quid, i'd rather spend a day in bed than kill myself for next to nothing........ 4-6 weeks and i'll have a new chassis, i'll still wait to change it over xmas, as i have 3 weeks off anyway....!

Wise choice if you ask me....hope all goes well....good luck