top speed of 1986 110 ??

I think some of the early 110's had the 1.6 transfer box, which will give it quite a low top speed.

I'd have thaught you'd have got a bit more out of it than 50 though!

A quick check of the numbers suggests if its a 1.6 box it'll be doing 65 at 3000rpm, and 86 at 4000rpm in 5th gear.

Obviously at 4k its going to be properly screaming, and a 2.5 NAD probably wouldnt have the guts to pull to that sort of speed either, but i'd have expected 60-70 out of it.

Our old disco had a completely knackered V8 that must have only been making about 80hp, and it would just about manage to cruise at 70.

I have an 86 LR90 with 200tdi, it had a 1.6 trans box in it and it would cruise at 45-50, the engine would be trying to jump out the bay at speeds approaching 60mph.

I've now got a 1.4 box in it and it cruises at 60 ish... still not quite as nice as I'd like - but I belive its more transmission limitations than engine, things start to vibrate and humm....

I've got a bit of a lift and bigger tyres.

I have an 86 LR90 with 200tdi, it had a 1.6 trans box in it and it would cruise at 45-50, the engine would be trying to jump out the bay at speeds approaching 60mph.

I've now got a 1.4 box in it and it cruises at 60 ish... still not quite as nice as I'd like - but I belive its more transmission limitations than engine, things start to vibrate and humm....

I've got a bit of a lift and bigger tyres.

This doesnt sound right to me - are you sure the engine is ok. Should be able to get 70-80 out of it in its current form.

hi,ive got my 110 on the road, finally and it tops out about 50 ish is this normal ???

many thank,ben

I used to drive a rather knackered old 90" with a 2,5 n/a. It ran around or even a bit over 65 mph on level roads when properly warmed up. The slightest incline or headwind and the speed dropped.

This doesnt sound right to me - are you sure the engine is ok. Should be able to get 70-80 out of it in its current form.

Well... in my limited experience the engine is ok.... someone care to come have a listen..? :unsure: A problem I have found repeatedly is I don't know what a good/proper one's meant to sound/look like.

Its got a Salisbury rear axle that the last owner thought was a good idea to put on... thats got some play in the input pinion so I recon its the drivtrain and probably unbalanced props that make me very nervous at elivated speeds, I'll maybe try an attempt up to 70... but I doubt I'll get there... not comfortably anways!!

with a 1.4 box, 70mph will occur at around 2800rpm in 5th, which isnt really even revving it hard.

Maybe your speedo is out?

Very possible, I'll hook up the GPS to check it, not got round to that yet. By the ammount of traffic that usually passes me I'm not that hopefull.

I'll do a few checks then it might be time to start a new topic on this...

2.5 NA / 1.667 110 - used to get 70 mph on Motorway, up to 75mph down hill and achieved 80+ with following gale and precipitous drop! It revved well, pulled surprisingly well and consumed / ejected around a pint every 250 miles! Main mod was to cable tie the breather cap down.

Same veh 300 Tdi / 1.410 - achieves 70 mph cruise easily, 75 mostly and often 80+ with forays to 90mph achievable and even 100 (with the aforementioned following gale and race track m'lord)

I'd say that yours is a little slow, even if it is 1.667 however it may be your ears and nerves - mine was a pig initially - they handle surprisingly well if bushes / ball joints / dampers etc in good nick - if in rag order you will most likely soil yourself before attaining a decent speed. Also worth pointing out that a long run at speed seems to benefit both N/A and TDi with an noticeable (if incremental) improvement in speed.

Is it reaching temperature ok - ie thermostat isn't stuck open (should barely be able to grip top-hose) if not you will be losing a lot of power in frictional losses and into the block - cold performance is abysmal.

You should be aware (if not surprised) to learn that the N/A dropped a hot spot six months after I flogged it!

2.5TD should do 75mph quite happily, if a little pushed

It is likely the pump just needs a little retune to bring it back to normal, also check your pipe from turbo to inlet manifold is solid and the inlet outlet gasket is not blowing. If not any of those then I would have the compression tested as the rings are common to failing on these (will represent as a large loss of oil).

(source: I took mine out of my 110 about 9months ago and before it did 70-75mph ok and it was on 280k :) )

hi there,

you dont say if the engine is screaming its guts out or just turning over normally. this would give an indication of the transfer box gearing. Is the air filter in good condition if its clogged up the engine will not produce max power.